Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember playing a tabletop basketball game from around 1970, and I haven't been able to find it. It used a ping pong ball. I suppose you could say it was the basketball equivalent of Table Hockey, with metal rods below the floor to control the action.

The court was about 12" x 24", and was a cardboard "floor". The floor had about 10 holes, each in a depression, so the ping pong ball would naturally settle into one of the holes (but would not fall through). Each hold had a metal flipper from below, that was attached to a rod that stuck out on the side. At each end, there was a 12" x 12" vertical cardboard scoreboard, with a little metal hoop with plastic mesh net.

When the ball would settle into a depression that you controlled, you would pull back on your spring-loaded metal lever, and release it, causing the flipper to thwack the ball toward the opposing net. It was pretty well-designed, and you could score from anywhere on the court.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
BAS-KET

Although that was a rerelease of the game from ~40s or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside from the size and the spring mechanism, it sounds like one of these: http://www.kids-toy-online.com/toys-for-kids-3-years/playwel...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mugs wrote:
Aside from the size and the spring mechanism, it sounds like one of these: http://www.kids-toy-online.com/toys-for-kids-3-years/playwel...

Nah, those are all plastic as well. Bas-Ket was cardboard and metal, none of that space age junk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
BAS-KET

Although that was a rerelease of the game from ~40s or so.

Yup, that's it. Thanks!

We must have had the 1969 version:

I never would have guessed that the game had been invented 30 years earlier!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
I had that same version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a fun game, I wonder how well any of hem have held up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Snyder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was also a rod basketball game. The players moved up and down the court by pulling and pushing the rods. You turned the player by rotating the rod. This all worked just like rod hockey. Just like with BAS-KET, there were cups in the floor that held the ball. At both ends of the court there was a clear plastic wall that included a backboard and rim. To make a shot you rotated the rod to turn the player with the appropriate amount of force to elevate the ball up to the backboard/basket. I had lots of fun playing that one as a kid. Not sure how long it was made, but I wish I still had it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.