Free At Last» Forums » General

Subject: Why is this listed as a Wargame? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Nemo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually when I surf the 'geek, I only look through the Wargames. Mostly I check out the games listed in the hotness. So I hope you can understand my confusion when I scanned the list, to see this game at the top.

Look, I find the idea of a game based on the civil rights movement as cool as the next guy, but why would it be listed as a Wargame? The movement was hardly a war, even with the violence and the worst of humanity thinking it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the GAME is a wargame, even if the historical events didn't have people killing each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Wargame" is sorta a placeholder for "simulation", I dare say.

I wish we'd be talking generally about simulation-gaming than wargaming.

The care in portraying a subject beyond it being a mere "theme" strikes me a whole lot more useful distinction than whether a game features military conflict or not.

I feel a game like FREE AT LAST genuinely belongs, whereas Risk, Shogun or indeed Battlelore are in my view too alien to our part of the hobby. They're best viewed as pure euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because BGG has a strange way of categorizing games. It is clearly not a wargame in any traditional sense of the word, and yet it resides in the wargaming subdomain because it shares mechanics with some games that are wargames. Of course, don't try to get a consensus around here as to what a 'wargame' is, or if 'wargame' is even the proper term to use for a particular genre of boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Non-violent resistance may also be seen as a different kind of warfare.

If you look at say the Serbia 2000, Ukraine 2004, Egypt 2011 and the like, the activism involved a lot of logistical and organisational planning quite similar to what some military staff might do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.