Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So my opponent has a 2, 3, and 4 as his defense die for a total of 9 defense.
In skirmish I target one of his dice with my Swarm? Do I pick the one to roll against, obviously the 4 since I aim to roll lower, correct?
If so, and I succeed, then he ends up with 1, 1, 2 as his defense if that was all that was rolled?
I know it says to target them all, but how do you do that? Roll your Swarm and compare to each one and then subtract 2 from each success?
Confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the later option. You roll your Swarm die and compare it against each defence die of your opponent, substracting 2 from each die where your result is below (or equal in case of a specialized die) of your opponents dice.

Example:
Your opponent has 3 defence dice with 2, 3 and 4. You have a mixed set of dice with an orange swarm dice (specialized). You roll a 3 with the swarm so you got to substract 2 from the "3" (because you win the draw) and the "4" (you rolled lower than 4). So your opponent ends up with 1, 2, 2.

Fortress works simiar only that you compare the roll against your opponents attack dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you.
Now can you find that anywhere in any of the rules?
I searched through everything and can't find that simple line anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, what if you were use your swarm dice in a skirmish and your opponent has rolled a defense die in his portion of skirmish to target one of your dice.
Now if I roll a swarm against his die in skirmish does it also roll against the dice he has in defense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be found and read from between the lines of the very first table in the rulebook that explains the different dices and their abilities. While all attack and defence target a dice in play (both the battle and skirmish zones), Swarm and Fortress specifically target all dice in battle (the battle zone). So you have to differentiate between "in battle" (only the dice not rolled in skirmishes) and "in play" (all dice both in battle and in skirmish zone).

This also means that you can roll a Swarm or Fortress die in a skirmish, but that this would not affect the attack or defence dice of your opponent that he rolled during the skirmish (as the target dice is not "in battle").

At least this is the way that I was taught the game. Celtic Joker might chime in and correct me on this, if I made a mistake, he is much more proficient in this game and its rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So a swarm or fortress could only be rolled as part of an offense then, not defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question came up once where if if the opponent has three defense dice, numbered DD1, DD2 and DD3, and he starts off a skirmish targeting DD1, can I roll a Swarm against all three dice, since DD1 is a legal target, but Swarm would target all three? The three possibilities were:

1) Cannot play Swarm this way
2) You can roll Swarm, but it will only target DD1
3) It targets all three, since just one has to be a legal target

The answer I got was 3).

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castell
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So that would really be the only way to play a swarm as a defensive move. It is on the battle area so therefore makes sense based on the rules as they are written now.
I would love to be a proofreader for companies on their games. It never ceases to amaze me how much time I spend making sure rules are correct along with proper examples.
Must come from my math background.
At least it is a lot easier now than in the early days of GURPS when I would be on the phone long distance trying to get answers for ultimately pages of errata.
If I proof read things, there wouldn't be errata 1.4. lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.