4 Posts

The Caucasus Campaign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Harbours and encirclements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Hello fellow Caucasus campaign fans. I Just finished my first solo play. Here is a question for you.

Am I right to think that units in a Black Sea harbour can never be isolated even if totally encircled by German units?

Norovossiysk for instance is a major harbour so even though the railroad from Batumi stops at Tuapse, even if the city is surrounded, its garrison, will always be in limited supply and thus never subjected to the isolation rule, right?

That makes it really hard for the Germans to capture, no? In my game I bypassed it because the Soviets had concentrated a lot of forces there, to focus on Tuapse instead where I encountered more or less the same problem except it is only a minor harbour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, they will always be in limited supply, at least.

You might have more success screening the ports and going for the oil fields instead, which is what the Germans tried.

From the historical notes:

Quote:
From September 24th to October 23rd the two Jäger divisions, the two Gebirgs divisions, the Slovakian Fast Division and 2 German infantry divisions fought a gruelling battle through the forested mountains to reach the sea at Tuapse. They never reached there. Casualties depleted there
strength and the offensive stalled within sight of the sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Thanks.

Actually yes that's what happened in my first game, the panzers pushed along the railroad leading to Grozny while the bulk of the German infantry was left behind to deal with Maikop and Tuapse, which felt right without really knowing much about the historical situation, but it was a recurring pattern on the East Front I'd say.

Where is that quote from by the way, is it from the designer's notes or from the Wilhelm Tieke book? (It is on my reading list but I got some other books to finish first.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

They won't ever starve. But when they run out of room, they face elimination for failure to retreat readily enough. The Germans need to accumulate shifts (from air, elite infantry attackers, Brandenberger commandos e.g. - armor is usually neutralized by terrain) to make a 1:1 or 2:1 native odds attack generate a fair chance of a retreat result. Then the Russians will be forced to use Determined Defense to stand, and sometimes that will fail and the whole garrison will die for failure to retreat. And even when it succeeds it will typically cost them a second step.

If the Russians use their air and have forces available, they can replace losses via sea movement at one such seige location, but they are limited to a single sea movement per turn on the Black Sea, and need to use an air unit to sea move into or out of ZOC.

The Germans have plenty of steps in their infantry formations, they can afford to bang away on the lower odds columns and just take the hits from exchange results and similar. The Russians won't have any large edge in steps after the losses they take in the early period, out in the open vs. German armor, before they reach the better terrain in the south.

The point is, the Germans should not be thinking that they can't afford to trade steps in attrition fashion with the Russians, so that only bypassing and waiting for evaporation by supply effects can be used on fortified positions. On the contrary, they can just trade through the Russian strength at each spot. Yes they should hunt for shifts first, to make the process more efficient. But the big item is to cut all possibilities of retreat first, not to get to invoke the isolation attrition table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.