Lost Battles» Forums » General

Subject: Board Game Endgame rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Sabin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Yesterday we paid the first instalment of the (massive) fee to the printers, so they can go ahead with ordering the card for the game. Design of the graphics for the tiles, counters and Empire map is coming along very well, and should be done in a week or so. We will use every last one of the spare spaces on the seven full countersheets to provide extra units giving added flexibility for user generated scenarios.

The rules booklet contains two parts - one on the Lost Battles tactical game, and the other on Empire and the various campaign options. The first part is now being revised after comments from readers. It contains 25,000 words of text and dozens of colour illustrations, so is a world away from the necessarily concise rules in Appendix 1 of the book. It should be much more user friendly and easy to absorb.

Although the substantive rules system remains largely unchanged, we have made lots of changes to the way in which the rules are presented, to make them easier to grasp. For example, double movement and discount activation have now been articulated as full separate forms of activation in their own right, instead of as exceptions to the standard rules. Similarly, average legions are now handled through a handicap bonus instead of through schizophrenic rules which treat them as having varying FVs for different purposes. Since 28 of the 36 battles have no units still undeployed when using historical dispositions, we have removed the entire deployment system to a separate final rules section, allowing players to learn and practice the basics of battlefield operations without even worrying about how to deploy units onto the field.

The really big change to the rules presentation is that, instead of providing one single big example at the end, we have included separate examples at the end of each rules section. This works much better in allowing readers to learn the rules through a step-by-step approach, and it allows us to tailor the examples to illustrate specific nuances of the system. The later examples show decisive moments from specific battles such as Hydaspes, Gabiene, Magnesia and the Sambre. This is preferable to illustrating the rules through just one battle, and the Cannae example from the included book serves this purpose very well in any case.

The rules booklet will be complete in itself, with no need to refer to the full book in order to play the game. However, the rules do often provide cross references to the book for those wanting more insights into the design philosophy or historical underpinnings of each specific system or scenario. All in all, we are really pleased with how this deluxe product is at long last coming together. Orders continue to come in steadily thanks to our adverts in recent board game magazines, and if you have not yet placed yours, do so now before stocks are exhausted. We are well on track for a shipping date in late August, and we aim to e-mail customers soon to check delivery details and minimise the chance of anything going astray.

Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow. Sounds fantastic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing but good news in this post, is there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
Nothing but good news in this post, is there?

If I stretch, maybe this means the box will be very slightly heavier to carry about. It's not a very convincing downside.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David J Schaffner
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be anxiously awaiting my e-mail notice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim O'Neill (Established 1949)
Scotland
Motherwell
Graduate of Barlinnie
flag msg tools
VENI, VIDI, VISA - my reaction on entering my FLGS.
badge
Like a good red wine, I improve with age... and being laid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Doc,

You have put a lot of thought and work into this that makes the little delay in getting my TWO copies worthwhile.

Regards.

Jim
Est. 1949

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Kerstan
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Philip. The delay is all good, I'd prefer a great game than just a good one :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.