K2» Forums » General

Subject: how to justify the starting 1 point acclimatization level? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During last game yesterday evening, one of new players asks: “why are we in the base camp and we start the journey with 1 “near to death” acclimatization point?

That was a good question!

I'm sure that the 1 point acclimatization starting is required by the game mechanics and it works well during the game, but it's hard to justify it, isn't it?

I answered that at 5000mt the group was surprised by a snowstorm that put all us in bad conditions, but we decided to go on.
Pretty weak, I know.

Better ideas?

see ya on the top of the world! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hubert Bartos
Poland
Gdańsk
Pomorskie
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
when i`m changing my living place (i live by the sea) to different location due to travel (especially mountains) i also have lack of acclimatization. I feel tired, it is harder to walk on long distances, backpack seems heavier. Even if those mountains are not as high as K2.

Say them, that those climbers normally live by the sea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
There was awful food poisoning in the base camp the night before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Konefał
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmb
zedd9 wrote:
when i`m changing my living place (i live by the sea) to different location due to travel (especially mountains) i also have lack of acclimatization. I feel tired, it is harder to walk on long distances, backpack seems heavier. Even if those mountains are not as high as K2.

Say them, that those climbers normally live by the sea

Yeah... That is why the easiest difficulty level in K2 is Sailor . I have no idea why it has been changed to Tourist in English version of instruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ah, nice answers!
The lack of acclimatation for who climb 5000 meters up the most difficult mountain in the world is easy to justify, the problem is the “1” rather than 3 or 4.
Thanks for inputs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 is an acclimatization level and not a health level and it fits with the climbing documentaries I've seen (Note: I'm not a climber) They show extensive time spentin base camp as no one is used to that altitude no matter how good a climber they are. They may spend week or months gettign acclimated and waiting for a perfect weather window.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yoren wrote:
1 is an acclimatization level and not a health level and it fits with the climbing documentaries I've seen (Note: I'm not a climber) They show extensive time spentin base camp as no one is used to that altitude no matter how good a climber they are. They may spend week or months gettign acclimated and waiting for a perfect weather window.

That's the answer. My bold. Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.