8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Best Free Online Board Game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The costage
msg tools
Hey,

Im looking for good free online Board Game, hope there are any around.
Im completely new to this genre. Sofar ive tryed to find some TCG but theres completely nothing that could catch my attention for more than 2 days, ofcourse im talking about 100% free ones.

So, the criteria for Online Board Game im looking for are:

- best possible artwork and style (user friendly/non annoying GUI too)
- support for 2-few players, possible to play with any number
- fantasy (non-japanesse anime) / middle age / modern / or even mixed with anything genre
- balanced gameplay (can be a bit luck based, but not too much), for up to 1 hour, but can be more if quality and fun is outstanding
- i like additional game features like spells/items/industry/events/trade or anything that can improve fun

I also have to mention game i played in home with friends when i was child - it was Talisman (Magic and Sword) with three boards, that was fun as hell I liked Monopoly aswell, though id love you guys to recommend me something better and more elaborate! Hope its not too much and theres actually something. Thanx in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have any specific game recommendations for you that meet all your requirements, but here are a few places for you to look:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/On-line_Games is a list of online implementations of boardgames. Many are free.

Here's a game that meets some of your requirements: Blue Moon is a 2-player game with a fantasy theme that looks like it has online play as an option.

Here's another: Incursion is a rogue-like game. It's a fantasy game with spells and items. But the interface is basic (text), and I believe it's for one player only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgaming-online.com hosts Through The Agesfor free. This is not a game you want to learn via the online interface, but you can always download the rules on this site and give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Duarte
United States
Largo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why don't you give boardgamearena.com a try? Also, gametableonline.com

Lots of games on offer between these two sites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The costage
msg tools
Thanks guys, i will take a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Greece
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You should also try BrettSpielWelt, a platform for many games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few sites that host a flash version of the board game Aliens. Great game in my humble opinion. Here's a URL if you are interested;

http://www.games.soft82.com/play/aliens-the-board-game/

edit: Oops! Though the board game is two player the flash version appears to be one player only. Still a good game. Sorry about that. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Boardgaming-online.com hosts Through The Agesfor free. This is not a game you want to learn via the online interface, but you can always download the rules on this site and give it a go.

I actually had a much easier time learning it online than with the board. I downloaded the rules and went for it. I've used the same learning tactic with multiple others an they all agree that learning online first was a good way to go. The biggest problems in learning this game are threefold:

1. Length. Even when you play the simple version of the game with two players, plan on your first play-through being no less than 2 hours. And that only takes you through the first age!

2. Rules are complex. When you're first learning the game, getting rules correct is a task and requires constant reference to the rulebook--which isn't a very easy rulebook to reference at first. What's more, when unfamiliar with the game, you don't even know what actions are available, let alone how to do them.

3. Bookkeeping. Bookkeeping is a huge part of this game, and it alone presents a learning process for newcomers. So added to the many, complex rules, the bookkeeping only adds to this games meatiness.

Boardgaming-online.com solves all of these problems:

1. Length doesn't matter as it is turned based. Take 20 minutes for your first turn if you want, heck take an hour! Nobody cares. It's turned based. And you'll be sure you understand what you're doing every step of the way.

2. Complex rules are easier to swallow playing online because (1) you can take all the time you want to read through the rules and learn how things work, and (2) you don't have to know all the possible actions since the drop-down menu provides only actions that are currently available to you with your current resources. This is a HUGE help for newcomers. Additionally, you don't ever have to worry about getting any of the rules wrong.

3. Bookkeeping is a no-brainer. The computer does it for you. Yes, many people argue that the bookkeeping is an elegant part of the game and part of what makes it great, and I agree. But I think it's something you can learn to appreciate after you've learned the games rules and how it all plays out. The point is, new players can choose whether or not they want to pay close attention to how it all works at their own pace.

Any downside? There may be just one, and that is new players are forced to jump straight to the full game. But let's be honest, the two other games are only there to help teach people up to the full game. So knowing that BGOL does this better, I recommend people learn to play Through the Ages on boardgaming-online.com instead of the incredibly difficult, intimidating, and poorly-written (IMO) rulebook.

And to the point of this thread: I don't think there is a better online experience available than Through the Ages on boardgaming-online.com

Enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.