Popular Tags: [View All]
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
I am setting up to play and wanting to check if one of the set up HEXES for the Italians is legal.

A cavalry unit sets up in a salt march hex (5723), but according to the terrain effects chart, this is prohibited to all types of units for movement?

Could not locate any errata to clarify so wondering if any Grogs out there have an opinion. hex 5724 would be my pick....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. I placed that colonial cav unit in 5724, last time I played. Good call thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks..checked on CSW as well. Seems the most logical hex to me.

planning to write up a session report and possibly a review of this. seems like a bold concept to get Europa out to the masses via a magazine game. I fear that the obscure theatre and basic one sidedness of the affair meant that this was something of an epic fail.

My regular gaming opponent is keen though, as he is a Europa fan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always been a great fan of the series, although, apart from this magazine game and my two mint copies of Balkan Front and For whom the bell tolls, I've never owned any of the games I played. Fortunately, I knew enough gamers who had the games. I'll never forget my four day marathon of Marita Merkur and Narvik, early '80s. Those were the days... The Italian adventure in east Africa ended up as a total failure. When hostilities began in 1940, that colony was essentially abandoned to its own devices, instantly cut off. The Italians and some of the colonial troops performed heroically, in most cases, despite the scarce supplies and being outnumbered and outclassed in every department. See Keren and the last stand at Amba Alagi, for instance The scenario is absolutely fascinating, though, and it's a great challenge for the Italian player. Yes, it was interesting to see a Europa game being published on S&T, a move that didn't pay off, so it seems.

I'll probably play this one again soon. Looking forward to your report.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Here's an answer crossposted from the Europa discussion page on CSW...

"Wavell's War has this unit starting in the town of Iavello Dec I 40. But this place is probably not on the AO map. Here is where it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yabelo

It is a rough hex, adjacent to 3 clear, 2 rough and 1 mountain hex. The terrain in the area is mildly difficult.

This is way far from Kismayu (Chisimaio in Wavell's War). Might there be a simple typo in the hex number that teleported it into salt marsh?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PvtRizzo wrote:
Indeed. I placed that colonial cav unit in 5724, last time I played. Good call thumbsup

Closer review of the map now shows that hex 5723 is actually a swamp hex, so ok for set up of a cavalry unit. salt marshes are similar to swamp, but brown...

A colour terrain chart would have assisted enormously with this game. canal depictions weren't that obvious either.

More grist for the review mill...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.