David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

CUBGAS is a board game that has recently entered the playtesting phase of development.

Thematically, it is a game about space exploration and combat. The game is currently a 2 player game, though a team version is planned.

The game revolves around the intermingling of two mechanics that have proven themselves, individually, to track large amounts of information, and to do so unobtrusively and without much fiddliness from the player:

Blocks(think stratego) and deck building.

These two mechanics are being utilized to allow for relatively complex decision trees(one of the best aspects of 'empire building' games) while limiting players visibility into the true complexity of the game, limiting choices and speeding up gameplay.

Specifically, I am looking for playtesters and those that might want to provide input on the rule set. Smaller scale playtests are going on, with the first full playthrough this weekend.

Anyone interested in contributing, please let me know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down for the rules reading... and *maybe* a playtest (even if solo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowan McAlpine
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
a good game!
badge
a good game!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very keen to have a read and do some play testing with my mates. We are currently loving Race for the Galaxy and play lots of RTS games on the PC so this sounds right up our ally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All quiet so far... ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dallas Tucker
Indonesia
Jakarta
flag msg tools
designer
(This space intentionally left blank.)
badge
What is the good life?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested, and I think that I can get it to the table with the 3 guys I game with regularly. At the least, I can look through the rules and help with proofreading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
will you be at GenCon play testing this at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the interest guys!

Sorry about the being quiet so far - we had to do a nearly complete overhaul of card cost over the past week. Thank you for all of the interest!

Tonight I will be getting some better public facing documentation for the change - I am working on a cleaner and more current version of the living ruleset.

And yes! There will be playtesting going on Gencon weekend - If not at gencon, then close by(it is good to live in Indy around this time of year).

Sorry about leaving you hanging, but more soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Some more information about the mechanics in the meantime:

The board is a simple hex board. There is no setup required for the board - it is populated through player actions during the course of the game.

Each player starts with a home planet with a single space dock, a fleet with a single scout(more on that in a minute), and a construction ship.

The flow of the game is very simple - move your fleets, draw from your exploration deck, then draw from your economy deck.

Fleets - fleets are your combat units. They are represented on the board by a fleet marker, and a corresponding fleet deck off the side in your player area.

Fleets can contain 1,2 or 3 ships. A ship is actually a collection of cards that is added to a fleet deck. For example, a scout is represented by 3 Piloting cards and a Special card, whereas a battleship is represented by 6 Leadership cards, 2 System Cards, 1 piloting card, and 3 special cards. Whenever you add a ship to a fleet, you just 'shuffle' that ship into the corresponding fleet deck.

This can allow for interesting choices when building out what 3 ships you want in a fleet. Need more maneuverability(piloting)? A scout or a cruiser are your best options. Need Firepower? Probably should go with battleship or dreadnaught.

Additionally, this makes it easy to hide fleet composition until the moment of battle, allowing for interesting bluffing opportunities.

These cards are played in combat to achieve results (as you probably could have guessed) Not going into the specifics of combat, but suffice it to say it is soft paper rock scissors with a focus on specific technologies and ship counters.

That, and the key goal of combat resolution is for it to be fast - as with any empire building/4x/RTS style game, the interesting stuff happens before and after combat, not during.

Exploration: Exploration is simple, and I am not going into detail. Basically, After movement, you draw an exploration card for each fleet. This will tell you if your fleet stumbled on a habitable planet, ripe for colonization, a rich asteroid field, or a horrible alien race bent on your destruction.

Like all decks in the game, it is dynamic, and changing the composition of the exploration deck essentially changes the entire shape of the game, as it determines the board shape to the largest degree.

Finally, the Economic Deck. Each player has their own, and it is the backbone of the game. Each turn, you will draw 1 or more cards from this deck and resolve them. This deck is populated with the buildings and stations you have built or conquered during the course of the game.

Each card you draw is either discarded with no effect or added to a 'build queue'. This is how you pay for new buildings. An example:

I draw my space dock card. I can either discard it or start construction on a new ship by setting it aside, face down. I do so.

At the end of my next turn, a draw an Ore card. I add it to the space dock stack. Now, I know that a scouts cost is one space dock and one ore, so I could discard both of them now and plop down a new scout.

I also know that Id like to get a combat ship on the board, like a frigate, but this costs 1 ore and 1 gas - I dont know when I would draw that last gas card, so it might be at the bottom of my deck right now, but it might be worth the wait.

Anyway, a brief preview into some of the mechanics. More updates soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.