Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate them together, as if it was a new game.
If combined with other expansions, I rate it based on the configuration I most often play with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
badge
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the way I do it (from my Profile):

I rank expansions above the base game if I feel they improve the game play, and lower if they only really add variability.

As long as your ratings mean something to you, I guess that is the main thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have to go price/performance with expansions. Does the expansion increase gameplay proportional to its price? SW was a fantastic game in terms of price/performance; while I think Cursed is rather less price/performance, it's still very good (IMO).

From the perspective, you clearly cannot play with just Cursed--it's an expansion--so how is the game when you play it with Cursed? If the same, I'd say rate it the same--it's good to know it doesn't detract from the game, as I think T&E does. If better or worse, rate it so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakeman wrote:
That is a good point. What is T&E, though?

Sorry! Usually, it's Tigris & Euphrates, as you know; in a SW context it's Small World: Tales and Legends--with a typo! modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I rate expansions in comparison to the base game. So If I rate a base game 7 and the expansion makes it better I might rate the expansion a 7.5... because it makes the whole combination better.

Likewise if the game after adding in the expansion is essentially just more of the same and maybe a bit more fiddly/longer but with some positive additions as well etc I would likely rate the expansion the same as the base game... a 7. Lastly if there is really no benefit in the expansion and it's basically redundant without adding enough pros to outweigh the cons... I'd rate it a 6,5 or maybe even a 6.

For me it's always going to be dependent on the base game... so theoretically if a base game was rated a 2 for me and an expansion was added (not that I'd likely buy an expansion for that bad of a game) that then made it better... that expansion would likely be maybe a 3 at most because the expansion ratings "starts" at the same level as the base game and then goes up or down based on how the entire game plays after it's put in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I come up with a stand-alone rating for the expansion, average that with the rating for the base game, and post that. That helps some final ratings (Dunwich Horror) and hurts others (Cities and Knights of Catan).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/logopolys?rated...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Dearborn Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Fizzgig need food badly!
badge
Click on Fizzgig to feed him a tasty snack. Nom, Nom, Nom!
mbmbmbmbmb
It never made much sense to me personally to rate an expansion higher then the core game, unless the core games truly sucks without the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
This is what I decided to do about it: I don't rate expansions.

Or I think the game should be played without the expansion;
or I think the game should be played with it.

In the first case, I don't play the expansion and I rate the game as it is.

In the second case, I always play with the expansion and I rate the game itself as it is when played with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.