Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: base game + ?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
blair lafferty

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
six months ago, Arkham Horror (base game) was introduced to our gaming group (usually three adult players, but sometimes 4 or 5), and collectively we have enjoyed the game thoroughly.

so now we're considering adding an expansion. i know that there are many expansions, so i'm wondering if i could get opinions on what expansion would make a good *first* addition to our game.

note: we are all experienced gamers, so complexity isn't an issue. plus, we are more interested in the smaller expansions as our playing table couldn't really handle the space needed for another board.

please advise. thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Dunwich for the big boxes. Probably King in Yellow for the small box. Look in the forums, I am sure this was asked within the last week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In terms of the small box expansions...I only purchased the base game about a month ago, and just last week I picked up the revised Curse of the Dark Pharaoh. I've been quite happy with it so far, and from what I gather is has more of a coherent theme that runs through the cards than some of the other small box expansions. I've also heard good thing about the King in Yellow.

So in short, if you want a small box expansion I'd vote for picking up Curse of the Dark Pharaoh (but make sure you get the revised edition, not the old one).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blair lafferty

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
is Dunwich Horror one of the "small" expansions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lurker at the Threshold is a small box expansion (latest one) that decreases the difficulty of the game, if you're looking for that. King in Yellow has a fantastic theme (best out of any of the expansions, with Innsmouth Horror second), is a small box expansion, but increases the difficulty quite a bit. If you're looking for a big box expansion, get Dunwich as your first buy, because of the added items and madness/injury cards. It may be hard to find right now, though, although I am not completely sure on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
I, personally, like Dark Pharaoh best of the small expansions.

It's the only expansion we leave fully integrated all the time.

The exhibit cards, in particular, add a nice element to the game, and give the players a good resource to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steward
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For small box expansions. I have The Curse of Dark Pharoh (original) and The King in Yellow expansion. Neither of these require much more table space, especially CotDP. I agree with the posters that said that would be a good one to try. You guys could just mix it in with the base game, or play with just the CotDP cards and have a cool thematic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blair lafferty

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok thanks everyone!

it seems that King in Yellow is especially rich in theme - something my group would definately enjoy. i think we'll go with that one.

however... does anyone know if they're coming out with a 'revised' addition to KiY in the near future? i seem to recall that they are. if so, i'll wait for the 'revised'...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GreatGodPan wrote:
ok thanks everyone!

it seems that King in Yellow is especially rich in theme - something my group would definately enjoy. i think we'll go with that one.

however... does anyone know if they're coming out with a 'revised' addition to KiY in the near future? i seem to recall that they are. if so, i'll wait for the 'revised'...

The only expansion that was poorly executed was Curse of the Dark Pharaoh. Because of that, I don't expect them to revise any of the others. So all others should be straight up reprints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sanderson
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GreatGodPan wrote:
ok thanks everyone!

I believe someone from FFG mentioned on their website in an article where they tried to sell the reasons for the re-print to the general public that they wouldn't be revising any other expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.