Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Game: India Rails

My wife and I have been trying to get through all of our games at least once this year. Since we love the Empire Builder series, that means there are a lot of these to play. We decided on India Rails this evening. For those of you not familiar with the series, you spend money to build rail lines that are drawn directly on the game board. You then move our train from city to city picking up and delivering loads that make you a given amount of money (as determined by the load cards you draw). The object is to get to 250 (million?) and connect all five major cities.

My initial loads included a load of indigo into the middle of the country that would make me a fair chunk of change. Now, my usual strategy in India Rails is to built a mostly East-West line and make a living off of many short, quick, cheap loads. After that, I can expand to the major cities I need to win the game. I've never been to Sri Lanka (the source of Indigo) in my previous games. Today would be different. Delivering the indigo took almost all of my initial money. I was then able to head North toward Delhi with another delivery. My new load card allowed another delivery even further North. I now also was able to fill a load of oil way down South. This set up a pair of deliveries around Calcutta (more indigo and peanuts), which nicely set up a couple of deliveries to Karachi. Eventually, I had to large deliveries to the Upper Ganges (Rubber and Coffee) which pretty much sealed the deal. One more delivery, and I was finished.

Final Result:

Stephen -- 264
Christine -- 215

It's kind of strange, but both my wife and I really like India Rails for some reason. I think it may be because of the varied type of terrain as well as the balance between pursuing big loads and small loads. At any rate, it was really different for me going into Sri Lanka. I normally avoid ferries because they eat up so much time. However, in this game, it really paid off for me with 2 indigo and 2 rubber loads. Total playing time around 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.