Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
Insert any witty/stupid overtext you can think of here... I got nothing
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to buy the 50th Anniversary edition of Diplomacy, as I loved the aesthetics of the new map, but the cardboard chits feel awful to play with, and having a set of wooden blocks to play would be great. Regretably, no other edition is available in the local market (any other version would have to be bought from overseas, and that means S&H plus VAT and customs taxes, making it way too expensive) so eBay or any other online store is not an option.

Now, I'm pretty skilled at woodworking (being a miniatures wargamer has its advantages) so I thought I may just make and paint the wooden pieces myself. Now the problem is: what are the measures of the blocks? If anyone can post them (millimeters are preferable, but I can perfectly work with inches otherwise) I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's nothing special about the size, so I'd make them whatever is pleasing to you. The only key consideration is to make sure the armies and fleets are easy to tell apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Hackman
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Seth has said, the only point is that you have to distinguish between fleets, which are long thin rectangles, and armies, which are shorter and wider rectangles in the set you are referring to.

If you like the feel of Diplomacy with wooden pieces, I would encourage you to take it a step further and carve your pieces to personal preference. While I already have a wooden set, I would definitely carve some boats (long eye-shaped) and then just use hobby-shop cubes/rectangles/discs for the armies. After that, just paint to match the different nations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Grattan
Australia
Penshurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb

19 mm x 13 mm x 13 mm

32 mm x 8 mm x 8 mm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm gonna make them "old fashion" style, I kinda like the feel of the rectangular pieces, but who knows? Maybe I'll do another "nicer" set in the future.

Ozgul wrote:

19 mm x 13 mm x 13 mm

32 mm x 8 mm x 8 mm

Good, that's pretty close to the size of some materials I was looking at in my local DIY store, they have 7,5mm x 7,5mm x 50cm sticks and 12mm x 18mm x 3,2m ones, I think they'll be perfect for my pieces. I'll post some pics when I got some samples.

thanks again, all of you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Sinclair
Canada
Ancaster
Ontario
flag msg tools
One Thread for All
badge
The name's Andrew -- pronounced 'Kah-thoo-loo'
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not buy some little ships and guns? You really don't need that many, and I think that would really look spiffy,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shields
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu1 wrote:
Why not buy some little ships and guns? You really don't need that many, and I think that would really look spiffy,

A lot of people prefer the little blocks of wood, because when you adjudicate the game, you can do things like tip them on end to indicate support orders, and stack them to indicate that units are dislodged and so forth.

I don't really have a strong preference about it, but my impression is that among people who play a lot the simple blocks of wood are the most popular version of the pieces. (Aside from the colors, which are kind of godawful in some sets.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco J. Piña A.
Chile
Calama
Antofagasta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cthulhu1 wrote:

Actually I thought about it, but I couldn't find any suitable pieces. You wouldn't believe how awful the local stores are around here angry That's why I decided to go with wooden pieces, also they have that "classic" feeling to it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick West
Scotland
Colinton
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
"Only two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity....
badge
....and I'm not certain about the universe." Albert Einstein
mbmbmbmbmb
How about rectangular thin blocks for fleets and dumpy sections of fat round wooden dowel for the armies?

Would ensure a clear difference in appearence from every perspective.

Size them to the smallest province (probably Belgium or Holland).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.