Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Ascension: Deckbuilding Game» Forums » General

Subject: Any Plans To Address Size Difference Issue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing the iOS app recently, and that has led me to seriously consider buying a copy of the base set. Like with 7 WONDERS, though, I find after more research that the cards in the base game have defects-- not mis-coloring here, but that they aren't the same size as the expansion cards.

Seriously, what the heck? As a newbie, and someone who can be pretty anal about condition, this sort of thing really makes me think twice before buying anything.

Have Gary Games said anything about a possible reprint of the base set, or anything else they might be planning to do to have these cards actually match? Or is the ultimate solution to just "like it or lump it"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
badge
This too shall pass...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Try THIS thread! (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7022096#7022096)


Comes complete with a flame war, fanboys, and trolls. Just add a deck building expansion!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whisperhand wrote:
Try THIS thread! (http://boardgamegeek.com/article/7022096#7022096)


Comes complete with a flame war, fanboys, and trolls. Just add a deck building expansion!


I'm a little nervous about wading into that mess... any chance of a TL;DR version?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
badge
This too shall pass...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Justin Gary basically explained that they were simply trying to improve card stock quality, apologized to users for the mess, and offered up a deal on the main site: 7 packs of sleeves for 21$ instead of the normal 35+

which.... just incensed people more, since a deal was being offered to new players and no auto-fellating of early adopter's egos was done.

If you're a non-sleever, you're kinda S.O.L. unfortunately. Personally, I think people are making a HUGE issue out of a moderate one, but that's just me. I'm a rough shuffler and just decided to sleeve all my set(s) once I saw the card quality of the base set starting to deteriorate more quickly than I would have liked.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whisperhand wrote:
Justin Gary basically explained that they were simply trying to improve card stock quality, apologized to users for the mess, and offered up a deal on the main site: 7 packs of sleeves for 21$ instead of the normal 35+

which.... just incensed people more, since a deal was being offered to new players and no auto-fellating of early adopter's egos was done.

If you're a non-sleever, you're kinda S.O.L. unfortunately. Personally, I think people are making a HUGE issue out of a moderate one, but that's just me. I'm a rough shuffler and just decided to sleeve all my set(s) once I saw the card quality of the base set starting to deteriorate more quickly than I would have liked.


So they have no plans to offer a new printing of the base set to sort of equalize the card stock quality? Pretty weak.

I know I'm coming months late to something that's probably already be hashed over to death, but as I said, I am really disappointed. I like the iOS app, want to buy the physical version, but...meh.

I'm new to gaming and I've never played any game enough to need "sleeves," so the idea that I need to buy $21 worth of plastic "card condoms" in order to correct a printing bug/feature doesn't sit really well.

Thanks for the help, though.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
badge
This too shall pass...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
np. Always willing to help someone who refers to them, as "Card condoms"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"auto-fellating"?

None of that required here: I've merely added this company to the ever-expanding list of companies who hose their 'early adopters' with whom I either do much less or no business.

Without those 'early adopters' these guys wouldn't be in a position to put out any product much less messed-up product. So, piss on those 'EAs' at your peril, Game Producers: there are always new games.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Knox
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No plans to reprint the original have been announced, but I would bet that if the game has sold well enough to justify another print run it would be with the newer card stock. So if you wait, I bet you will see it.

But really, I don't think the difference is enough to call it game breaking. Does knowing whether the next card on a stack is an expansion, or how many expansion cards someone has in their deck give any kind of advantage in this game? If you are anal enough to worry about the difference in the card stock between base and expansion, you are going to be anal enough to want to sleeve your cards due to the inevitable chipping, marking and wearing on the cards (old or new) due to the amount of shuffling you'll be doing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ochobee wrote:
No plans to reprint the original have been announced, but I would bet that if the game has sold well enough to justify another print run it would be with the newer card stock. So if you wait, I bet you will see it.

But really, I don't think the difference is enough to call it game breaking. Does knowing whether the next card on a stack is an expansion, or how many expansion cards someone has in their deck give any kind of advantage in this game? If you are anal enough to worry about the difference in the card stock between base and expansion, you are going to be anal enough to want to sleeve your cards due to the inevitable chipping, marking and wearing on the cards (old or new) due to the amount of shuffling you'll be doing.
I can see both sides having legit concerns. However, I'm thinking that among those who will want to sleeve their cards anyways, there will be those who are enough of "purists" to also want to have their cards be all the same size.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Brumfield
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I emailed them a few weeks ago about weather or not the reprint will be in the new card stock or not I was told the next printing will indeed be new card stock and the box will have "Second Edition" printed somewhere on it.

I plan to replace my First Edition when this comes out and just give First Edition to someone who doesn't own it yet. (I do understand that this might not be an option for some.)

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brummy wrote:
When I emailed them a few weeks ago about weather or not the reprint will be in the new card stock or not I was told the next printing will indeed be new card stock and the box will have "Second Edition" printed somewhere on it.

I plan to replace my First Edition when this comes out and just give First Edition to someone who doesn't own it yet. (I do understand that this might not be an option for some.)



Damn. Wish I knew when that new printing might be... I don't want to bite on the game until I know I can get the newer version.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
Brummy wrote:
When I emailed them a few weeks ago about weather or not the reprint will be in the new card stock or not I was told the next printing will indeed be new card stock and the box will have "Second Edition" printed somewhere on it.

I plan to replace my First Edition when this comes out and just give First Edition to someone who doesn't own it yet. (I do understand that this might not be an option for some.)



Damn. Wish I knew when that new printing might be... I don't want to bite on the game until I know I can get the newer version.



If you use sleeves, it really shouldn't be a problem.

The new expansion is playable out of the box with two.

(Or wait til they announce a reprint.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
Brummy wrote:
When I emailed them a few weeks ago about weather or not the reprint will be in the new card stock or not I was told the next printing will indeed be new card stock and the box will have "Second Edition" printed somewhere on it.

I plan to replace my First Edition when this comes out and just give First Edition to someone who doesn't own it yet. (I do understand that this might not be an option for some.)



Damn. Wish I knew when that new printing might be... I don't want to bite on the game until I know I can get the newer version.



If you use sleeves, it really shouldn't be a problem.

The new expansion is playable out of the box with two.

(Or wait til they announce a reprint.)


Hmm... getting the expansion first might be the way to go. I know that "sleeving" is second nature to many gamers, but as someone NEW to card games I haven't been able to wrap my head around spending so much extra cash for something I feel I shouldn't NEED. If I actually played enough to start to wear my cards out I'd probably feel differently.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
Brummy wrote:
When I emailed them a few weeks ago about weather or not the reprint will be in the new card stock or not I was told the next printing will indeed be new card stock and the box will have "Second Edition" printed somewhere on it.

I plan to replace my First Edition when this comes out and just give First Edition to someone who doesn't own it yet. (I do understand that this might not be an option for some.)



Damn. Wish I knew when that new printing might be... I don't want to bite on the game until I know I can get the newer version.



If you use sleeves, it really shouldn't be a problem.

The new expansion is playable out of the box with two.

(Or wait til they announce a reprint.)


Hmm... getting the expansion first might be the way to go. I know that "sleeving" is second nature to many gamers, but as someone NEW to card games I haven't been able to wrap my head around spending so much extra cash for something I feel I shouldn't NEED. If I actually played enough to start to wear my cards out I'd probably feel differently.



Yeah. I mean, there's no way you can really play a game like that without the base cards getting marked up way more, if you're going to play a lot. Some people just don't care.

Like, I didn't get to play twilight imperium more than two dozen times before I discovered sleeving, and some of those cards got wrecked.

Not everyone is as kind as you might be to your property! (I play a lot of ccgs, and have plenty of horror stories!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
Brummy wrote:
When I emailed them a few weeks ago about weather or not the reprint will be in the new card stock or not I was told the next printing will indeed be new card stock and the box will have "Second Edition" printed somewhere on it.

I plan to replace my First Edition when this comes out and just give First Edition to someone who doesn't own it yet. (I do understand that this might not be an option for some.)



Damn. Wish I knew when that new printing might be... I don't want to bite on the game until I know I can get the newer version.

Sorry, but I believe the best way to proceed is patience. WHen the new printing of the base game comes out, you can safely buy the base game, expansion, and all promos with peace of mind.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
Brummy wrote:
When I emailed them a few weeks ago about weather or not the reprint will be in the new card stock or not I was told the next printing will indeed be new card stock and the box will have "Second Edition" printed somewhere on it.

I plan to replace my First Edition when this comes out and just give First Edition to someone who doesn't own it yet. (I do understand that this might not be an option for some.)



Damn. Wish I knew when that new printing might be... I don't want to bite on the game until I know I can get the newer version.

Sorry, but I believe the best way to proceed is patience. WHen the new printing of the base game comes out, you can safely buy the base game, expansion, and all promos with peace of mind.


Good point. I have the iPhone app, so it should be enough to tide me over.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
SommerMatt wrote:
Brummy wrote:
When I emailed them a few weeks ago about weather or not the reprint will be in the new card stock or not I was told the next printing will indeed be new card stock and the box will have "Second Edition" printed somewhere on it.

I plan to replace my First Edition when this comes out and just give First Edition to someone who doesn't own it yet. (I do understand that this might not be an option for some.)



Damn. Wish I knew when that new printing might be... I don't want to bite on the game until I know I can get the newer version.

Sorry, but I believe the best way to proceed is patience. WHen the new printing of the base game comes out, you can safely buy the base game, expansion, and all promos with peace of mind.


Good point. I have the iPhone app, so it should be enough to tide me over.
"Great". Now I'm getting "ansy". I just tried the expansion with the expansion, Rat King promo, Vedah promo, and some other promo. Didn't get to experience every aspect of all of them, but it was nice.

I don't know what kind of timetable they're on, but it may be many months till the expansions get released
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
Newark
OH
flag msg tools
badge
This too shall pass...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In talking to one of the lead designers over on Ascensiongame.com, she mentioned that they have a majority of the programming done--card wise--for the expansion, but are currently working on how to best implement Bazu's construct/discard effect and Great Omen Raven's topdeck prediction into the interface.

They're also taking suggestions on what users would like to see in the next update. So, if there's something you'd like to see, feel free to pop on over and give them some ideas.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whisperhand wrote:
In talking to one of the lead designers over on Ascensiongame.com, she mentioned that they have a majority of the programming done--card wise--for the expansion, but are currently working on how to best implement Bazu's construct/discard effect and Great Omen Raven's topdeck prediction into the interface.

They're also taking suggestions on what users would like to see in the next update. So, if there's something you'd like to see, feel free to pop on over and give them some ideas.

Hmmmm, that still sounds like a month or more away till release, but as I been preaching to others.... patience, so I'll try to follow my own advice.


I'll get some ideas out here first so I don't forget later on, but I would be OPPOSED to having ratings/rankings on online play. In past experiences, it has overall detracted from gameplay and the overall enjoyment.

--Would like to see as many of the promos implemented as possible. IIRC, there's the Rat King, Vedah, and some other 3rd and 4th one.
--.... be able to selectively pick and choose the promos to use
--like to be able to play the expansion separately or with the base game
--It'd be nice if the Card List also had # of cards per type of card, but it's not a huge thing yet, personally, since there's a file here that tells you how many of each card there are in the deck.


--Would like to see a solitaire version implemented, but I don't know if Ascension has any of them, let alone good ones. Also, this definitely seems like a tall order to fill.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, you'd probably want to sleeve the cards for this game anyway, even the expansion cards are going to show wear pretty quickly. Sleeving the cards makes this card issue a non-issue.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gashlycrumb wrote:
Honestly, you'd probably want to sleeve the cards for this game anyway, even the expansion cards are going to show wear pretty quickly. Sleeving the cards makes this card issue a non-issue.



I hear what you're saying, but I just feel like I shouldn't have to spend $25 on card sleeves to fix a quality issue that the publishers should be taking care of. The iOS app is giving me all the Ascension I need right now, and it only set me back $5.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SommerMatt wrote:
gashlycrumb wrote:
Honestly, you'd probably want to sleeve the cards for this game anyway, even the expansion cards are going to show wear pretty quickly. Sleeving the cards makes this card issue a non-issue.



I hear what you're saying, but I just feel like I shouldn't have to spend $25 on card sleeves to fix a quality issue that the publishers should be taking care of. The iOS app is giving me all the Ascension I need right now, and it only set me back $5.



I like the iOS version as well, plus it comes with sound effects. Another thought is that the "official" Ascension sleeves might not be necessary and you could just get penny sleeves. Then you're only looking at a $4-5. I'd be curious to hear if others have tried different sleeves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever it's worth, my wife and I recently played with all the cards shuffled together and didn't feel it affected us adversely in the least.

My real issue, right now, is that should I purchase a 2nd edition of the base game to go along with our expansion, our promo cards aren't going to match and THAT could actually be a little game-breaking, given the small number of different promo cards.

I'd like to see Gary Games offering either a replacement pack of promo cards (I'd happily send in my old version for replacements) or a bundled pack of 2nd edition promos for some reasonable price.

This is one of our favorite games and . . . well, I'm just hoping for some good news here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.