Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Ward
United States
Wayland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't normally do reviews, but this is the most expensive game I've ever purchased and I have pretty limited gaming funds so I thought it might be worthwhile to pass on my thoughts on this purchase to help others who might be unsure of how to spend their limited gaming dollars

Went through the whole five star customer service program that Mayday has come to be known for. First I got the email saying it's going to ship, here's your tracking number, then it takes a while for them to actually get it into the hands of the shipper to start the delivery process.

When it finally arrived it was packaged pretty well and the baord made it through the shipping process without any shipping damage. Inspecting the board closely a few tiny areas in the ditch where it looks like they finished the board without cleaning it well after putting it together. This makes it look like they finished over some dust, or other very tiny debris. Also the rail has a few small but noticable imperfections, but over all not bad for a mass market board.

The scoring pegs did not fit into the scoring track but I had heard as much so I was expecting this. Seth mentioned on BGG they were getting in pegs that would fit and to send an e-mail requesting some to Customer Service I did so. After a week or so I emailed Customer Service and they said the had been shipped out. A few days later they arrived at my door with a note from my post man indicating that I owed him 1.07 (postage due as Mayday did not pay enough postage when shipping it - Really guys?!?!) Not a lot of money but when added to the other aspects of their customer service it just left a bad taste in my mouth. For some reason Mayday sent a full set of pegs (the center ring pegs and the scoring pegs) so I now have an extra set of center pegs, but at least the new scoring pegs do actually fit the scoring track.

Played with both the screw/tubing and the wooden pegs and both work well, but the kids and I think the screw/tubing upgrade makes for a more enjoyable game.

One tip if you do buy the board, make sure you wax the heck out of this board before playing. I was under the impression it came waxed from the factory and just started playing and I now have a large number of what look like small hairline scratches after playing a few games (maybe 10). The scratches do not affect the playing surface but just make the game board look a bit shabby. Really wishing I had put 2-3 coats of wax on it first.

Given I used a coupon code and was able to get the board, the tubing and screw set, and two extra sets of disks and free shipping (it was preordered) I feel like I paid a fair price (around 145.00 all together) Normal price with shipping would have been much closer to the 175.00 price point and I'm pretty sure I not would have been happy with the board at that price.

If I had it do again (and the extra disposable income) I would have picked up one the higher quality sets. This would have allowed me to avoid the minor manufacturing/staining defects in the ditch and on the rail, the board would have been waxed better from the factory and probably wouldn't have the scratches now, and I would have avoided the less than stellar customer service experience. I would have had to wait in the queue for Muzzies or Hilinski to put the boards together, but I think the increase in quality and customer service would have been more than worth it.

This of course does not take into consideration the fact that my wife would have killed me if I had spent 200.00 or more on a board game (as it is 145.00 was a pretty difficult pill for her to swallow

As an aside Mayday could greatly increase customer satisfaction by
-Manage Customer Expectations (Tell customers what they can expect as far as quality and shipping times go, then meet or exceed those promises every time (without someone having to post on BGG to get the issue resolved)
-Improve Customer Relations interactions (respond to customer contacts quickly with accurate information, and know how much postage to put on your packages for crying out loud shake)

Thanks for reading through this, and I hope it helps someone else when making a decision regarding this board

Ry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
My Muzzies board should arrive any day now. I paid roughly $215 delivered to the US. I'm sure it will be a very good board (assuming the USPS is nice to it LOL)and I'm really looking forward to it. It sounds like it comes pre-waxed and has a very fast surface judging from the reviews.

My order was placed in mid-June and shipped about a week ago. Murray with Muzzies has been great during the entire process. The ONLY downside to the process so far has been the shipping method. I'm sure the Canadian postal strike contributed to a slightly longer shipping time than I expected but I would have preferred use of Fed Ex or UPS since USPS tracking is spotty at best. When I mentioned that to Murray he was VERY gracious about the suggestion and I believe they plan on adding more shipping options at some point.

I'm not sure if Muzzies made enough to have any 'left over' after fulfilling their orders but it may be a good time to ask (I realize this doesn't necessarily help you...sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Mayday).

I understand that Murray injured himself in the shop yesterday but I don't get the impression that it will keep him down for long. Might be nice if anyone who has ordered from them in the past (or is thinking of doing so) could send him a quick 'get well soon' email.

I also purchased an American Carrom board from the Hilinski Brothers and Carl made that a very easy transaction. I would have no problem sending business to either seller's way if given the opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Also....hopefully some wax will fill in the scratches you have on the board. It can be very good at that. I suggest a good Carnauba WITHOUT cleaning additives. Mothers 'Step 3' is probably the easiest to find.

In any case I'm so jazzed about my board purchase that I'm sorry to hear you had a bad first impression with Crokinole. Attempting to obtain a refund may be your best bet if you aren't satisfied...either that or asking for a replacement. Seth seems pretty good about providing good boards for reviewers, shows and vocal folks on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An eerie quiet settles across the thread... With no response from Seth and/or Mayday Games. Lesson learned: Buy a professionally made board. Sure, you may have to pay $25 or $50 more, but well worth it.

Buy a Willard or Helsinki, it's worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Moved to Mayday Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for not replying earlier, this was recently moved to the Mayday Games forum which we do subscribe to, and hadn't seen the thread before that. Matt, thanks for the feedback on the crokinole.

Rythos wrote:
I feel like I paid a fair price (around 145.00 all together)

Rythos wrote:
If I had it do again (and the extra disposable income) I would have picked up one the higher quality sets.

Rythos wrote:
This of course does not take into consideration the fact that my wife would have killed me if I had spent 200.00 or more on a board game (as it is 145.00 was a pretty difficult pill for her to swallow

It sounds like you are saying you wished you could have got a $200+ board but then you would have had to wait a month or two for it and your wife may not have allowed it. If you take away the extra discs and the rubber/screw set you only paid $127.46 for your board, discs, scoring box, including shipping. It sounds like you are exactly our target market, someone who WANTS a really nice, high-end board but just can't quite get to paying 57% more ($127 vs. $200).

We expect there will be many of our customers who start with one of our boards and then in a year or two decide they want a custom-made board and don't mind waiting and paying more. We are happy to provide this middle-ground, especially for first-time Crokinole owners.

I hadn't heard about your $1.07 postage due on the first class package until now, we just refunded it back onto your credit card. Usually the post office won't allow you to ship a package unless it is properly metered so we aren't really sure what happened there, sorry about that!

The board was ordered on May 23 and we shipped out on May 26 and it arrived from Utah to Michigan on June 1 at 1:13 PM per the fedex tracking #. Sorry we didn't get it out any sooner, it was one week from order to delivery on Fedex Ground though which isn't exactly terrible for free shipping.

Please let us know if you need anything else and thanks for your business and candid review/feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ultimately I think folks are going to find out that this comparison just isn't true (although I will admit the concept of 'value' will always be in the realm of opinion).

I recently bought a board. Went with Muzzies. Yes they are popular and I had to wait a while for it but that was the ONLY downside IMO. I paid $204 delivered for my board compared to the $145 mentioned earlier in this thread. What did my $60 buy me? Better customer service for one (Murray has been great). And less chance of getting a blemished board.

At my job I get to see labor rates around the world. And quite frankly while I realize it's a bit of a cottage industry with little overhead if the likes of the Hilinski Brothers, Muzzies, and Willards (who can often ship immediately) can sell handmade boards for around the $200 mark delivered than the Mayday boards (being mass produced in China) are still too high. I think pricing was set at a point to under cut the handmade boards rather than what would be a reasonable profit margin. Hard to argue with that since Crokinole would have to go mainstream to really make it up in volume, but to suggest that it's a awesome deal is just ridiculous.

Besides the guy is unsatisfied...what happened to the money back guarantee?

(Edited price of the board in the second paragraph...I'd forgotten what I paid...$204 is correct)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ward
United States
Wayland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

It sounds like you are saying you wished you could have got a $200+ board but then you would have had to wait a month or two for it and your wife may not have allowed it. If you take away the extra discs and the rubber/screw set you only paid $127.46 for your board, discs, scoring box, including shipping. It sounds like you are exactly our target market, someone who WANTS a really nice, high-end board but just can't quite get to paying 57% more ($127 vs. $200).

This is a true statement. I would love a high end board, couldn't afford it at the time and chose the Mayday board. Overall the board serves its function, a mid level board that provides a playable experience.

I hadn't heard about your $1.07 postage due on the first class package until now, we just refunded it back onto your credit card. Usually the post office won't allow you to ship a package unless it is properly metered so we aren't really sure what happened there, sorry about that!

I appreciate the refund.

The board was ordered on May 23 and we shipped out on May 26 and it arrived from Utah to Michigan on June 1 at 1:13 PM per the fedex tracking #. Sorry we didn't get it out any sooner, it was one week from order to delivery on Fedex Ground though which isn't exactly terrible for free shipping.
I'm not implying that the free shipping took too long. My comments were intented to let folks know that once they get a tracking number then can expect it to take several days for the item to actually get into the pipeline for delivery

Since I placed this order I've discovered Mayday doesn't have the best reputation around here for a variety of reasons. I wish you well in your efforts to change that, however situations the such as tracking numbers issued but no package being sent to fedex for three days, and sending packages postage due are not helping the cause much I'm afraid.

Ry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Muzzies board is $204? Then you have to exclude the cost of extra discs and rubber/screw set, both not offered by Muzzies and both included in the $145 price. The price was $127 for the Mayday Board, delivered.

The current price is $215+ because of the US/Canadian dollar exchange rate. That is a difference of $88. No one is disputing that Muzzies is better, but remember your local game store can get our board and actually sell it for $135. To get a Muzzies board in a store the store would have to sell it for $300+. Comparing a product priced for the retail market and one sold directly to a customer with no margin for the retailer is quite different too. There have been plenty of opportunities to pick up our board at $99 free shipping too.

Yes there is a warranty on the initial run of boards, anyone not satisfied with the board due to any quality concerns has a full year to return/exchange it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Cool...so the owner in the original post can get a full refund. Sweet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.