Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received our 25th intro box and my son and I would like to paint the minis. Therein is our problem. What color? Do we divide the mechs into somewhat equal four or more mech lances (1 assault or Heavy, 1 or 2 mediums and 1 or two lights) and paint one red (kurita) one green (davion) one blue (Steiner) and maybe one white (blake) or something similar? I guess we could look up the history of some units and try to match exactly what mechs belonged with the unit. As we are reading the fiction in the battletech universe it seems as though the units used whatever they had and then whatever they could scrounge?
Does paint color matter in tournaments or are battletech players particularly particular?

Anyway any help would be appreciated.

(edited typos)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hart
United States
DPO
AP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you don't have a unit layout and need flexibility, I would just paint them in various camo paint schemes. That way you can mix and match as necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most BattleTech players are pretty easy going when in comes to miniatures. There's no WYSIWYG rules and most people don't even care if your miniatures are painted, muchless whether they are painted in an official scheme for any given unit. Of course, there are plenty of us that do our best to paint our own miniatures just so, but it really is a personal preference in BattleTech.

That being said, there are some 'Mechs in the box set that are strongly associated with one faction or another. The Panther and the Dragon are widely used by the Draconis Combine, the JagerMech by the Federated Suns, the Commando by the Lyran Commonwealth, etc. That doesn't mean that some other army isn't allowed to field a given 'Mech, just that it isn't common.

My recomendation is to separate them into a few groups, based on how you prefer to play, how balanced you want the groups to be, and how many paint schemes you want to do, and just paint them up. The common unit of military organization for Inner Sphere 'Mechs is the lance, which is a group of four 'Mechs, so groups of four aren't a bad start. If you want to do basic, iconic paint schemes for the major powers of the Inner Sphere, you would get something like this:
Draconis Combine - Red
Federated Suns - Dark Green
Capellan Confederation - Light Green
Free Worlds League - Purple
Lyran Commonwealth - Blue
ComStar - White

The 'Mechs in the box set are all 3039 era tech, so I used the factions that were around at that time. You certainly don't have to though - the 'Mechs continue to exist into the future. If you wanted a Word of Blake faction or anything else, do what sounds like fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Benwood
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this site for help in deciding what you think looks good. http://camospecs.com/Gallery.asp

If your into decals here is a good site. http://www.fightingpirannhagraphics.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say, paint them however you wish. You're the ones who will be playing with them. Nobody else is going to care how they are painted. People often tend to like to play certain Houses/Clans and tend to get those 'Mechs that belong to said groups, but generally it's been my impression that people just get the 'Mechs that they think are cool and use them for different factions.

When we played, we played a different scenario a week (not campaigns). One week a 'Mech could belong to the Draconis Combine, the next to ComStar.

I've never known any BT players with a "Bring your army and I'll fight you with mine" attitude, in which everyone only collects a certain faction and only plays with their 'Mechs. In order to make the scenarios work, ever player generally pitches in 'Mechs to help compose the sides as best as possible. For example, a Jade Falcon vs. ComStar battle, would have all the players pooling their Omnimechs together to create the JF force and all the players putting IS 'Mechs that CS is likely to have into the ComStar force. So you might not even end up playing with your own 'Mech(s) in a given battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wright
United States
Grovetown
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Started painting... olive drabish, blue, gray, purple, red. Each four or five mechs as equal as we could make each lance. Also bought 2 cougars, one for my son and one for me to start our mech pilots in (try to start our careers as mechwarriors). Will try to put together a basic scenario with my son and I on one side and some rogue mechs on the other. I will try to post a session report when we finish (Thursdayish). Should be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Benwood
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you have fun playing. It will take a while to get the rules down, but after you have a good grasp it will go much quicker. If you do preperation stuff before the game, then it will help out alot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.