Subject: questions about assault fire, op fire and others rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
piotr faldrowicz
Poland
warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I ve got some questions after my last play in scenario 7: Bessarabian Nights (which was quite awesome experience for me):

1. Is militia with satchel charge able to assault fire?
2. Is it possible to make op fire with ordnance weapon?
3. Can I place a hero on a hex with meele on it?
4. What is proper order of actions when I trigger a event from last card in my deck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. No, the militia unit does not have boxed FP.
See Chad's response below. Also see A26.
2. No, see A33.3 1)
3. Yes, But off the top of my head, I can't remember what effects he has on the melee and whether he is affected by the melee rolls (RICHARD?)
4. Time goes first, then event resolved, see 1.9.1 second paragraph beginning with IMPORTANT!

edited:

Some more notes on #3

Both FP totals are computed before either player makes their melee roll and are locked in. The subsequent generation of a hero and placement into the hex will not change those totals. The hero may rally a broken unit, but again the FP totals have already been computed and are locked in (plus if you lose the melee it ain't gonna matter if your unit was broken or rallied).

Does the hero die if you side loses? I now say no based upon a reading of the first sentence of O16.4.3 Melee Result. "The side with the lower Melee Total has all of its participating units eliminated." The key word I see is "participating". The hero did not participate, and thus not subject to the immediate effects. Of course, the hero would then be left alone in the hex with the victorious enemy units and I believe a second melee would ensue (hero vs. remaining enemy units).

RICHARD?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
StocktonDave wrote:

But the satchel charge does have boxed firepower so you can Assault Fire with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chad Jensen wrote:

But the satchel charge does have boxed firepower so you can Assault Fire with it.

Went back and reread A26 because I couldn't believe it but I see it now, written in paranthesis in the first paragraph under A26. Thanks for pointing that out Chad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
StocktonDave wrote:
Does the hero die if you side loses? I now say no based upon a reading of the first sentence of O16.4.3 Melee Result. .....I believe a second melee would ensue (hero vs. remaining enemy units).

RICHARD?

Yes, David?
Didn't want to be vilified for answering too quickly.
(Well, actually was watching Le Tour de France (on tape delay))

You are correct - only participating units are eliminated. The Hero did not participate, so remains and would trigger a subsequent melee if the hex still contained units of both sides.

(Besides, if you had gotten that wrong also, I am sure Chad would have mentioned something.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
piotr faldrowicz
Poland
warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
At first thanks for replies.
Chad Jensen wrote:
Quote:
StocktonDave wrote:

Yeah that was this case excacly. So that we played right.
StocktonDave wrote:

2. No, see A33.3 1)

heh so that we played wrong . I was checking instruction about that during play, but I suppose I were temporary blind back then.
StocktonDave wrote:

3. Yes, But off the top of my head, I can't remember what effects he has on the melee and whether he is affected by the melee rolls (RICHARD?)
4. Time goes first, then event resolved, see 1.9.1 second paragraph beginning with IMPORTANT!

edited:

Some more notes on #3

Both FP totals are computed before either player makes their melee roll and are locked in. The subsequent generation of a hero and placement into the hex will not change those totals. The hero may rally a broken unit, but again the FP totals have already been computed and are locked in (plus if you lose the melee it ain't gonna matter if your unit was broken or rallied).

Does the hero die if you side loses? I now say no based upon a reading of the first sentence of O16.4.3 Melee Result. "The side with the lower Melee Total has all of its participating units eliminated." The key word I see is "participating". The hero did not participate, and thus not subject to the immediate effects. Of course, the hero would then be left alone in the hex with the victorious enemy units and I believe a second melee would ensue (hero vs. remaining enemy units).

I tried to asked simple questions in this thread, but in real situation was more complicated (or homicidal I could say). I try to draw some details now.

German units gained some advantage (about 18 VP) during battle, but their forces were one step from collapse (1 unit before surrender level).
Russian forces suffered great losses, but this wasn't remarkable factor for russian side (3 units before surrender level - mostly becouse of two Elan events, which took place during the play. Time was running away, or I could say that leftovers of time were vanishing on the horizon (time marker was on '6' space - '1' after the sudden death marker). Russians gain initiative (card) durring battle but that wasnt enough. Their last chance was to kill everybody that they had in fire range.
Russians (broken team with broken leader on one hex and 'fresh' militia on the other)were following after broken, suppressed Volksgranadier unit. German player, in act of desperate will, was advancing with Volksgranadiers on wounded squad and bleeding leader, but few steps before enemy soldiers, first land mine blew...

So my opponent was about to melee with broken unit and I didnt have any ambush cards, so I played what I had got - 'hidden mines' in this particular case. I made a fire roll against all units on that hex (as I see now that was another mistake, I should have made only 1 fire roll against unit that was advancing) and last fire roll was the last card in deck (time trigger) with event box on it. We have done another mistake here, playing event trigger first(which turn out to be 'hero'), and time trigger afterward. I place hero in melee hex and rally unit there. Sudden death roll passed without efect. Hero helped me to get advantage in FP (i assume that, in this case, hero is part of melee forces?) before melee rolls and last enemy soldiers fell under russians bayonets. Germans were defeated.

When I'm thinking about correct order of playing event/time triggers now, it seems pretty natural that I cannot draw event card, if I havent got any cards in my deck. So time trigger should go first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.