Hide
8 Posts

Formula 1: Officially Licensed Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Game Fix rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatas Antao da Silva
msg tools
Sorry for bad English, but my native language is Portuguese and this is a google translation.
Questions, ask me!

Game Fix

I liked the game. Just understand that it is not properly balanced. So there you go ...

Scratch BOOSTER chapter and replace it by forcing the motor.

FORCE MOTOR

To Force the engine is demanding more than the current gear allows. ALWAYS the pilot decides to force the engine, receives a +2 bonus to their movement and performs a test to see if the engine was damaged. The test is to play a 1D6 and compare with the gear that the car is using. If the data value is less than or equal to the march, nothing happens. Now, if the value is higher, the engine loses power (the equivalent of losing a gear in the original rules).

Thus, forcing the motor is a very risky tactic see the following table:

Gear Risk Percent
1 5 / 6 83.33%
2 4 / 6 66.67%
3 3 / 6 50.00%
4 2 / 6 33.33%
5 1 / 6 16.67%

Analyzing the odds of risk, we can see that the lower the gear, the greater the over-stress the engine, and the more likely damage it. On the other hand, in higher gears substantially decreases the risk.
This change allows the pilot can choose how much force the engine to the best tactic: force only at high engine speeds, saving equipment for the end of the race (remember that the sooner the engine is damaged, are more turns in the car will lose speed), use only for overtaking, etc..

PIT STOP

The amendment, in my opinion, better addresses the pit stop is as follows: the car, as in the original rule, stop in the yellow house whitout number and the next turn goes to the yellow house number 1. But only stays a turn in the box and receives six cards (in the house #1). In the next round goes house number 2 in 1st gear. In the next turn, can engage the second gear, and, if want to, use the tires and/or booster.
The account that I did to get a turn as the limit is simple. When you stop the car, the driver lost about four points of speed. In the first round after the tire change, comes out in first gear, losing about three more points of speed with respect to the pilot decided not to stop in the box and continued the race.. The next turn in second gear, you lose two points and so on. When the pilot takes the six new cards, the more likely is that each card has a value of 2. Thus, on average, it will gain 12 points of speed, which is the equivalent of what was lost in the pit stop.
The advantage of doing a pit-stop is that the cards when used in the slow curves, allow you to gain more ground.
So, in my opinion for inexperienced players do not make much difference with the proposed change, stop or go. But skilled players can pull too much advantage of your new tires in the slow corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think the best fix for this game is to throw out the current rules completely, and write a whole new set form scratch. The only question is whether it's worth the trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatas Antao da Silva
msg tools
Well, Darrell, you have reason to be angry because an official game that you bought has serious flaws. And I agree with you if you tell me that the obligation to deliver a good game and balanced is the designer.
But the game has a good idea: eliminate dices and focus on skill. Another positive point is the simplicity of the rules.
Since I'm an amateur game designer, I loved the chance to pick up a game that has some potential and correct it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatas Antao da Silva
msg tools
The first changes that I proposed retained the original spirit of the game (now balanced) and became, in my humble opinion, playable and enjoyable ...

I am to propose some changes that can alter the original characteristics of the game ....

The first is:

COLLISIONS

Scratch chapter ENGAGEMENT and simplify the rules: whenever a car occupies the same space as another car in an orange house or invades a gray house that already has three cars, a collision occurs.
Both cars are damaged (if the collision occurs in a gray house, the offender may choose a victim lol) and lose a point of maximum speed (just as in the original rule, you lose a gear in a failed booster). This damage can be repaired in pits, the cost of a turn.
In addition to the damage suffered in the next turn will engage first gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vicente cañaveras
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Jonas, i think as you that this game has a big capacity if we can made a few variations. I´m doing a little table with habilities to perform every driver, and i will test it with my brothers in a few weeks, if you are interested i can send you my revision of rules.

You can call me crazy but i like it more than formula d, i hate dices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert White
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
Jonatas Antao da Silva, replacing Engagement is a great idea,

I took your idea to this level, (have yet to thoroughly test it yet):

Whenever a car attepts to occupy the same space as another car in an orange road section or invades a gray road section that already has three cars, a collision occurs.

If the collision occurs in a orange road section the car already ocupying the road section is hit; if the collision occurs in a gray road section, the offender may choose which of the three cars is hit.

If the speed difference result is:

Offender Speed < Victim:
the victim stays in his current square and recieves no damage or gear change
the offender is stuck behind the victim and recieves no damage.

Offender Speed = Victim:
the victim stays in his current square and recieves damage but no gear change
the offender is stuck behind the victim and recieves damage and starts at 1 gear lower than current or 1 gear below new maximum whichever applies.

Offender Speed > Victim:
the offending driver pushes the victim out of the occupied road section.
The victims car is placed one square in front of the offenders. (victims choice)

In the following turn, both cars will move one square in 1st gear
No tyre cards or Force Motor can be played in this move.
In the turn after the one during which a collision ocurred, a driver can accelerate, increasing his gear, only if the car is not in the first half of a curves’ set of road sections.

The speeds of less than greater are to accommodate a car from coming out of the pits and may cause a traffic problem. Any comments are welcome.

Also the issue of Pit Stops are a concern where I decided (inspired by Jonatas as well):

Drivers can go to the pit lane. The cars enter the yellow lane parallel to the starting grid and they must stop in the first yellow road section, regardless of their speed and before the numbered squares.

From the following turn, they will move forward by 1 numbered square per turn (3 cars maximum are allowed per pit lane square) until they reach the 5th and last.

During pit stops drivers can:
*Change tyre types - (Slick or Rain) 1-Pit Road Section
*Repair damaged gears - 1-Pit Road Section per gear repaired
*Discard all remaining tyre cards and draw at random 6 new ones - 1-Pit Road Section
*Enter 1st Gear - 1-Pit Road Section
*Increase/decrease one gear position - 1-Pit Road Section
*In any Pit Stop after the second gear is engaged, a driver may, if they want to, use the tyres and/or Force Motor options.

Any Comments are welcome. I have a completely revised set of rules now that stops tire cards from being used to accelerate as well as a few more mods, I like the game a lot better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raoninja X
msg tools
mbmb
You are a genius! Great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pilum pilum
France
flag msg tools
mb
I don't like your Collision rules !

Let the Engagement rules, and modify them...I prefer that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.