Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game largely because I had played an astonishingly good game of Union Pacific a year or two ago. That must rate among my very best gaming experiences.

I've only played three games of Airlines Europe so far, so don't really know the game. One thing that does concern me a bit, though, is if the shorter playing time also diminishes the tension and drama in the game.

My most recent game was a three-player game that lasted only 45 minutes. That felt too short.

Admittedly, there were two factors that shortened the game. The third scoring card was on top of the last part of the card deck - shuffled with ten other cards, it ended up on top. The other was that one player (me) bought 3-value licences whenever possible and took many share cards. (It worked too, I won with 72 versus 71 and 69 of my fellow players.)

I cannot remember the details of Union Pacific, but that slow build-up did add to the game experience.

I'm keen to hear how others experience this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I do not like the removal of cards for less players. This aspect was not in UP. So simply ignore the removal of cards. I forget the numbers exactly, but with 3, you are losing at least 25% of the deck, if not 30%.

Since we did want a short game tonight, we went ahead and took out Yellow for our 4-player game, and that worked ok. So if I ever do 3, or we get a 2-player, we may just try taking those out. But removing 2 or 3 lines is just too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played more 6-player games of UP than I care to remember and they were all too long. Even with 5, the game could drag. With 4 experienced players, I'd say the posted times for the two games is accurate (UP at 90 minutes, Airlines Europe at 75). The 3-player game is probably a little shorter.

The games in this family are all middleweights and play best when the turns are snappy and the session doesn't overstay its welcome. There's still plenty of tension in Airlines Europe, but I'm very happy with its 1-1.5 hour duration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's time for baseball, people! Pitchers and catchers report soon and the national pastime is with us again!
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
I do not like the removal of cards for less players.

I'd forgotten about that aspect of play when I made my first reply. I haven't played with 3 yet, so I guess I'll have to judge for myself how I feel about this when I do. However, I've played this mostly with 4 and I thought it played great without the Yellow airline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Nearing Weathertop
mbmbmbmbmb
ZirkvandenBerg wrote:
I bought this game largely because I had played an astonishingly good game of Union Pacific a year or two ago. That must rate among my very best gaming experiences.

I've only played three games of Airlines Europe so far, so don't really know the game. One thing that does concern me a bit, though, is if the shorter playing time also diminishes the tension and drama in the game.

My most recent game was a three-player game that lasted only 45 minutes. That felt too short.

Admittedly, there were two factors that shortened the game. The third scoring card was on top of the last part of the card deck - shuffled with ten other cards, it ended up on top. The other was that one player (me) bought 3-value licences whenever possible and took many share cards. (It worked too, I won with 72 versus 71 and 69 of my fellow players.)

I cannot remember the details of Union Pacific, but that slow build-up did add to the game experience.

I'm keen to hear how others experience this.

I fully agree with you, Airlines Europe, while pleasant, just feels flat for me compared to Union Pacific. A lot of the tensions have been smoothed out, especially in the scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.