Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a solitaire battle of Rorke's Drift tonight and a few items came up that I need clarified.

1) Are the British cavalry units used in the Rorke's Drift scenario? According to the rules, cavalry is only mentioned regarding Islandlwana, yet the cavalry and native infantry have red bands, which are generally used for Rorke's Drift as opposed to Islandlwana's blue bands. I know they don't have the green asterix that denotes a Rorke's Drift unit, but still, why have the red band? What am I missing regarding unit types?

2) So Leaders can volley...well, not all leaders. Only Chard and Bromhead are named in the rules to have this option at Rorke's Drift. Why not Bourne and Dalton? Is it for some unlisted historical purpose? If anything Bourne and Dalton have the pose of firing in a volley so at first glance seem to be the two in this scenario that would do so. Anyone have insight into why the leaders would operate differently, yet have no indicator on their counter?

3) The melee question. From rules section 12.5, last sentence:
"A maximum of 8 SP may melee OUT of any building zone."

So, if I have 12 SP in Zone H (Commissary Store), can I attack with 8 SP into Zone 10 and 4 SP into Zone 11? That's 8 SP or less _into_ a zone _from_ a building zone. The rule reads like I can only attack _out_ with up to 8 SP total regardless of how many different zones I can attack into. In my example, that would be say, 4 SP into Zone 10 and 4 SP into Zone 11 with the final 4 SP (of the 12 SP) sitting around reloading or something. Do I have this right?

4) I made up some quick summary cards that were a huge help tonight. I'd like to upload them for others to use, but do I need Worthington's permission first?

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The red band is merely to differentiate and remind you of the unit type difference.

2. Chard and Bromhead were the actual commanders. Bourne and Dalton more of inspirational figures.

3. If you read rule 2.2, you may only have 8 sp in that zone.

4. Feel Free
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grant, thanks for the clarifications. I totally forgot about the restrictions on 2.2, as I seemed to have forgotten that rulebooks have a front page...

Thanks for the fantastic, quick playing game. This is exactly what I hoped it would be. I'll be taking it with me to the Austin Board Game Bash next month and give it a little more exposure.

I've submitted the summary cards to upload. It's a lot of information in a small place, but I found them helpful and hopefully others can read my shorthand.

Thanks again!
-Jeff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
grant wylie
United States
va. beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem, I was up late last night with a toothache and caught the questions. Glad to hear you are enjoying the game. One of my favorite topics.

Happy Gaming,
Grant Wylie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.