Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garyp
Australia
Berry
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
we have experienced several ocassions in our games where you really do not want to play a card at all - 3 cards does not offer a heap of choices sometimes - I cannot see this in the rules explicitly - must you play a card in your turn? - we thought yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must play a card. There is no "pass" or discard option. *

Remember that you draw a card first, though. You have 4 cards to choose from.

* EDIT: I was wrong! See the correction below!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an interesting situation -- first turn of the game, I didn't have any cards in my hand matching my goal color. So I played "Trade Hands" with the next player instead.

He was stuck with my cards, and a Silver Dragon that was already no longer wild, and he didn't draw anything suitable either.

He had no legal play. It's not addressed anywhere in the rules. He ended up just skipping his turn.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
etherton wrote:
I had an interesting situation -- first turn of the game, I didn't have any cards in my hand matching my goal color. So I played "Trade Hands" with the next player instead.

He was stuck with my cards, and a Silver Dragon that was already no longer wild, and he didn't draw anything suitable either.

He had no legal play. It's not addressed anywhere in the rules. He ended up just skipping his turn.

-Dave

I'm not sure I understand your situation. You are not ever required to play a card that matches your goal color.

My earlier post was wrong. Here is a quote from the Aquarius & Seven Dragons FAQ

Quote:
* Q: Can you pass?

* A: Yes. (In Aquarius, you might have no other choice during the earliest stages of the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Etherton
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me clarify -- I don't remember the exact breakdown, but this example should suffice.

1. I was the first player. My hand, after my draw, consisted of "Trade Hands" (which turns the Silver Dragon to Black) and three other cards that only had two unique colors on them, neither of which were black.

2. My goal color was not one of those two unique colors. I think it was Black, meaning that making the center card black would be to my advantage.

3. I didn't feel like playing a card that could only help somebody else.

4. Therefore, I played Trade Hands with the player who would be next. Silver Dragon is now Black.

5. He drew a card. It too had no black on it. He had no legal play.

I think the situation is extremely unlikely to begin with, and is only possible in the first turn or two of the game. But it did happen on my third game, ever.

-Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward B.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answer. We had this same question arise during a game. Wasn't sure if the correct play was passing or drawing cards until you could play one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.