GOSU» Forums » General

Subject: Why I think the Dark goblins maybe detract from Gosu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing this online and its a very fun game. I liked it enough to order it and will be getting it shortly. But I think the Dark Goblins are not a good clan in terms of adding to the overall game experience for a few reasons.

1. They are the only clan with "Zombie Mutation" which slows the game down quite a bit. I can see why its a neat ability and adds to the strategy of the game, but in practice to have to look at the discard pile which can get to be very large when you are playing the Dark Goblins is a drag and makes the games pace too slow.

The other clans don't have Zombie mutation so its quicker to just play the mutate ability from what you have in hand.

2. They have a couple cards which I think are over-powered. One of the most powerful is "Trsck", he not only can destroy a level 3 card, but you also get to draw 3 cards in the bargain if you can take out a top level guy. Destroying a level 2 card and getting to draw two cards isn't shabby either if you don't have a level 3 target. The advantage this one card bestows when coming into play is too much in my opinion.

The other card I have a problem with is "Kokoshomushu". This is another monster card that not only can give you a way to draw 5 cards if you bring him by mutation, but his ability is very powerful which makes your opponent discard two cards. Whenever I have this guy in my army I feel he gives a huge edge to me. Making the opponent lose two cards can be devastating in this game.

Anyway, I don't know much about the new expansion due to be released later this year and what new goblins they have planned, but I'm hoping there is a clan without Zombie mutation that I can replace the Dark Goblins with. I think it would not only make the pace of the game quicker, but could help with the balance issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shiv@n Shiv@n
France
POITIERS
flag msg tools
If I may throw my two cents...

Zombie mutation is very powerfull if you know how to play it...
You are not obliged to use it, you may mutate the normal way even with the dark goblins... The discard pile may be big, but generally, you know what you need and you may know if it have been discard if you paid a little attention to it... Of course, in the first games, you won't pay any attention on what is discarded, what may be in the draw pile or in opponent's hand but you will soon figured out that it is capital to know where are a few cards... like Trsck...

Trsck is indeed and in my opinion one of the most powerfull cards in the game... but you can say it for dalister, erxast, time, justice, sol... A lot of level 2 are very very powerfull even more powerfull than level 3 sometimes...

Kokoshumushu is very strong too, but it's a part of a specific strategy either is "come into play ability" or "activation ability". You an't do it anywhere at anytime...

The expansion will offer 5 new clan, one of them, The Shadow Goblins, will have the same ability as dark goblins (trap, zombie mutation) and a two new abilities : "untrap" cards and trap a card to trigger an effect...
The expansion is very stronger than the base set. It's designed for advanced players, with new effects, harder combo but powerfuller...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Timbledum
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree completely. Zombie mutate itself is a real game slower. Most new players have trouble just keeping track of their hands and the tableaus let alone the discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
The zombie mutation ability in itself can be very fun and makes a lot of good combos possible. But it makes the game drag on in a lot of cases. So could I chose, I would leave it out of the game.

The only thing that makes me interested in the expansion (I do not like the new art and I find the game deep enough already) is the chance to replace the dark Goblins with another clan that does not have the zombie mutation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.