Subject: Sentinel and Stand Together rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
As we have learned, Ranged characters controlled by other players can participate in a Quick Strike. I am now asking something similar, can Sentinel characters controlled by other players (other than the chosen one) participate in a Stand Together. Thematically, it seems right to me but rule-wise it is probably a different matter.

As for the Sentinel, the rulebook states that a player can declare Sentinel defense after the attack has been declared undefended. This wording of "after" confuses me. Does it mean after shadow cards have been revealed or am I just reading too much into it? In that case though, the whole sentence seems redundant.

Lastly, you defend Stand Together two characters whilst Despair appears, can you then choose which of the two characters does not count its defense values?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I may be off here but you always declare the defender before Shadow cards are revealed. Therefore, you'd have to declare Sentinel after being attacked, but before revealing the Shadow card.

I'm not fully awake yet this morning, so forgive me if this isn't helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Leacock
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sentinel defends against attacks on other players who let an attack go undefended. Stand Together works only for the player being attacked as he declares defenders. So they can not be used together.

For enemy attacks, you 1) Choose an enemy; 2) Declared one defender (or let go undefended); 3) Resolve shadow effect; 4) Declare combat damage. The player declares the Sentinel defense at the end of step 2 before the shadow card is revealed.

The Despair shadow effect combined with Stand Together does need a FAQ explanation. It could apply all defending characters or only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakub praibis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks guys. I think we are quite clear on the first two points. Stand Together text reads "choose a player" which makes it pretty straightforward - but then, Quick Strike had seemed the same before the latest FAQ.

I hope Despair nulls only one character, it would give Stand Together a bit more reason; otherwise, it would give Despair even more fright.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dont have my rulebook handy, but I am pretty sure you can declare sentinel after the shadow card has been turned over. It comes into play if no other character is declared defender then you can declare the sentinel character as defender any time before the damage is put on another character, before or after the shadow card is revealed. Since you need to declare after no other character is declared then it should not be able to be paired with another player's stand together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
msg tools
according to the rulebook pg 24 "A character with the sentinel keyword can be declared by its controller as a defender during enemy attacks that are made against other players. A character can declare sentinel defense after the player engaged with the enemy making the attack declares “no defenders.” The defending sentinel character must exhaust and meet any other requirements necessary to defend the attack."

therefore, it is before the shadow card is revealed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cook
United States
Spanaway
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm not sure why I thought that then...I will have to check again when I get home from vacation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.