Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Chen
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Hello folks! Today I'd like to share with you a variation that I and a friend of mine have invented. It's goal is to lengthen the game to at least 15 turns, and to alter the gameplay slightly. While one would probably find it extremely tedious due to it's extended length, you may want to give it a try if you're tired of the same old rules or have a small gaming group (as in only one other person).

Extending the game allows modern wonders and technologies to play a larger part

HALPO'S TIME-CONSUMING VARIATION

Victory Conditions

In HALPO'S TIME CONSUMING VARIATION, the victory conditions are altered as follows:

1. Economic Victory: Obtain 20 coins.

Additional Rules: If you conquer a city you have the option of stealing a coin for spoils.

Note: You are able to get 16 coins from tech abilities, 3 coins from technologies (Civil Service, Metal Casting, and Computers), 3 coins from banks, and one coin from Feudalism, plus any lucky Great People, Gift from Afar's, tiles, and the Panama Canal.

2. Cultural Victory: Complete the Culture Track.

Additional Rules: In order to extend the track, if a player reaches the end for the first time, he must move his tracker back to the beginning of Age 3 and complete the section once again.

Age 2 culture spaces only cost 2 trade, and Age 3 culture spaces only cost 4 trade.

Note: The reason I lessened the trade cost wasn't to make advancing on the culture track quicker, but less disruptive on one's research rate. Culture players almost always have enough trade, and their speed of advancement is usually only limited by the amount of culture points they have, not trade points.

3. Technology Victory: Research Space Flight

Additional Rules: You must research three level 4 technologies in order to research Space Flight.

4. Military Victory: Destroy three cities, with at least one of them being a capital city.

Additional Rules: If a capital city is destroyed and the attacking player has not yet destroyed two other cities, the defending player turns any one of his remaining cities into his new capital.

Note: A player does not win if he destroys three non-capital cities. In order to win a Military Victory players may target the cities of any opposing player.

Optional Variants

1. Players do not collect trade during setup. This allows low trade capitals that can be found in the starting tiles of Rome, China, and Germany to be founded without the players getting behind in technology, as they would have an extra turn to develop their capital with a trade building, settle a Turn 2 city, or place scouts on desert tiles.

2. Angkor Wat's ability is changed to: All cities may harvest two resources when harvesting resources, and may harvest any type of resource in the market regardless of what is in the city's outskirts.

3. Count wounds when resolving battles. Just things a bit more interesting.

4. Egypt may exclude Stonehenge as a starting wonder if he so desires. I believe this one has been mentioned somewhere before, actually...

5. America's Great Person is revealed before he places his capital. This let's the poor fellow (the player, not the GP) to at least find the most appropriate strategy and starting spot.

6. Armies can go through and enter friendly cities. If a city with an army on it is attacked, the defender's battle hand size is not affected and if the city is destroyed, the army goes with it.

Thank's for reading! Comments and questions welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion your military victory is too easy if you want the game to go longer. Once someone's military has been eliminated it is easy to systematically destroy their cities before hitting their capital. Better would be destroy one city of each other player and completely eliminate one of them (all cities gone). Your goal of 3 cities could be done on the way to kill the capital maybe adding 1 additional turn to game length.

Coins are probably too easy too (16 for tech adds, 3 from banks, 1 from Great People, Board, Gifts, Canal, Techs (computers)) shouldn't take me more than 1-2 turns to go from 15-20.

Tech on the other hand for 3 level 4 techs that is another 4 turns (without tech stealing, tech trading or killing cities).

Culture is already too slow, I doubt your trade adjustment will make it faster as Culture is mostly the limiting factor. It should go at least another 4 turns or so if they have a massive culture engine.

I also have a feeling that for the most part the game culminates well. Once someone has momentum it isn't easy to overcome so tacking on a few extra turns wouldn't add much to the game for me. Hope you enjoy the variant, but I would be surprised if you didn't find it unbalanced in the ways I mentioned above. Give us feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Karvonen
Finland
Tampere
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Halpo wrote:
Age 2 culture spaces only cost 2 trade, and Age 3 culture spaces only cost 4 trade.

Note that the function of Trade when buying culture is to control how many steps you can take each turn. As the maximum Trade is 27, you can only move 4 steps on the culture track during Age III each turn. Dropping this to 4 means you could move up to 6 steps each turn, so that may actually work against what you are trying to achieve here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.