Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Thematic Games» Forums » General

Subject: So what older AMERITRASH games have you been bringing to the table lately? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are always so focused on the newer stuff, but I was wondering what older Ameritrash games have people been bringing to the table lately? Perhaps you don't have any older favorites and you're a "cult of the new" sort of fella, but I'd bet that anyone who's been playing AT-type games for any length of time has plenty of older favorites they still happily play anytime they get a chance to. Maybe you've pulled out Gammarauders or Heroquest to show your younger friends? Any classic favorites in particular you've brought out or had especially good luck with?

In between my group's regular CMG sessions, I've been trying to introduce a number of my older games that I thought might go over well. Fortress America was enjoyed, as I thought it would be since they've all played Risk in the past, and what are the MB Gamemaster games if not Risk on mega steroids and liquid awesome. We're up for playing it again soon as well as testdriving Axis and Allies 1942. (Unfortunately my original eighties copy is currently lost somewhere in the attic or shed...)

I've gotten a great response every time I bring Space Hulk (1st edition!) over, however its primarily being a 2-player game has made it difficult to get to the table since we often have 4 or more players. With that in mind, I'm hoping to try Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel with them soon. The 5-player count will be a better fit, and I'm very much looking forward to trying it myself for the first time.

Nuclear War was a blast (Pun intended), but Battletech's welcome was a little more lukewarm; several of them really liked it, but others had a harder time getting into it - mainly, I think, from the time length. I believe they'll come around though, and speed will pick up too once people are a little more familiar.

My current favorite has been getting Crimson Skies onto the tabletop, although unfortunately only once a month. It started out strong but faltered a little as one of the players who liked it the most has had some horrible luck at it lately and been a bit down about it. He says he's still willing to play it, so maybe if I play on his side for a game or two and try to cover his planes a little until he gets his, um, "sea legs" back... Hmm. At any rate, I've been so hyped up for it that I've been sprucing up what fighter miniatures I have available for the players to pick from, and I have quite a variety now.

I've also been considering whether to show them RoboRally or Formula De' first. I love both, but I think RoboRally might go a little better since it has more immediate action, especially if I limit just how big the board will be. I can already foresee one certain player having problems though with the "mental gymnastics" required. Even if it doesn't go over well, it should still be an amusing evening. laugh

So let's hear it! Did you and your friends play the original Conquest of the Empire last Friday, or maybe you pulled out Chainsaw Warrior? What older AT have you played lately, and, what's gone over best with newer players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I finally talked a friend into breaking out his original copy of MB's "Samurai Swords", which I'd never had the chance to play before (I never bought it, already having Battleline/AH's "Samurai" ~ but always admiring the superlative components of the game).
Of the 4 of us, he was the only one who'd played it before - and that was 15 years before, so we were effectively on equal ground.
The game's rules / play-quality easily matched its beautiful components, and our experience was perfectly fun and competitively taught to the very end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Heac0ck
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to play a game of Battletech yesterday out under my gazebo (thankfully not a 'dread gazebo'). It was a good day to game but my merc assult team earned nothing but a bloody nose an a complete rout. It was our first game incorporating all of the new infantry rules from Total Warfare.

I am really excited about next weekend, as I found a game I had been looking for for awhile. I picked up a nearly-new copy of Wiz-War at the Derby City Comic Con on Saturady and I cannot wait to bust it out.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Averett
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
uh...whose turn is it?
badge
I spent 100gg for this?!?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday I played Mage Knight Dungeons with a friend who recently became interested in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
You've mentioned most of mine.

Fortress America, Axis & Allies (Anniversary & Global though), Samurai Swords, Space Hulk.

All plays in the lat 6 months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if it counts, but last weekend we played a full game of Civilization with 6 players. It lasted till 6 in the morning and everybody had a great time
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ridgeway
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
oldsin wrote:
Not sure if it counts, but last weekend we played a full game of Civilization with 6 players. It lasted till 6 in the morning and everybody had a great time

You played it to the End?? That counts as Unheard Of!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dune this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
Parker Brother 1863, which I have many copies. A couple for pristine collection purposes, and many others just for the parts.

I have modified the board and am playtesting some rules to add a supply and time dimension for supply and reinforcements to continue the war to conclusion.

I like the board and the cleanness of the look. I have always liked the components.

I am trying to integrate a Kreigspeil like battle stance cards to impact causulties. And leadership impacts.

But tying to keep it a simple game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've had 1 and 2/3 copies of this sitting on the shelf here for several months. Last week I took it to game night and it went over pretty well. We played 4 player games and got almost to the end of scenario 3 before the cafe closed up.

Interestingly, everyone else seemed to like it more than I did. But the next day I was thinking a lot about it and now I can't wait to play it again.

Though the bits (thin boards, cheap scultps) are a bit disappointing compared to what we are used to these days, the game overall was pretty enjoyable. The pursuit of both credits and promotional points was a great idea. And checking out weapons each mission (not keeping them from mission to mission) is also a nice rule I think.

I'd love to pimp my game with some pewter Warzone minis, but they're quite expensive and there are a lot of figures in the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuclear War gets played from time to time. Battletech gets read, painted, and printed ('Mech Sheets from SSW), but not played much. I'm waiting for a few more of the 'Mechs from The Wolf and Blake starter book to arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Goodlettsville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Am I a man or am I a muppet? If I'm a muppet then I'm a very manly muppet!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure where old school DungeonQuest fits (it's like Britishtrash... well, Sweditrash originally) but it still gets 10+ plays a year around here. (And not the new FFG version... the GW edition w/the expansions.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratches wrote:

I'd love to pimp my game with some pewter Warzone minis, but they're quite expensive and there are a lot of figures in the box.

Which is funny since I remember several of my friends at the time buying multiple copies of MC:SotC cheap just to cannibalize the minis for use in their Warzone (first edition) armies. They're definitely not as realistically detailed as a lot of today's game components or even as much as the old metal Warzone figures, but they still look pretty decent for a boardgame. My 1st edition Space Hulk tiles suffer from the same sort of cartoony art style. The nineties were strange.

Glad to hear it went well for you! I'm really looking forward to finally playing this one myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamemark wrote:
I'm not sure where old school DungeonQuest fits (it's like Britishtrash... well, Sweditrash originally) but it still gets 10+ plays a year around here. (And not the new FFG version... the GW edition w/the expansions.)

Supposedly nearly everything ever done by GW counts as Ameritrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest Bryant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Took a first step in teaching some frinds how to play Magic Realm - with my not entirely complete 1st edition set...

Think I'll break out Wizards next
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalogGamer wrote:
oldsin wrote:
Not sure if it counts, but last weekend we played a full game of Civilization with 6 players. It lasted till 6 in the morning and everybody had a great time :D

You played it to the End?? That counts as Unheard Of!

Pshaw! All of our games of Civ lasted to the bitter end! Shortest game was probably 9 hours, longest over 14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Como
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
I actually just received Fortress America and am gonna break that out tonight. Needed to review the rules to make sure I had all the intricacies down.

It's been a long time (20+ years!) since I've played it, but I'm looking forward to discovering if it's as interesting a game as I remember it to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scratches wrote:

Reading through the instructions to this game now, and think it looks right up my alley (despite not being sold on the artwork and theme). Would love to get it on the table in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newuser wrote:

Reading through the instructions to this game now, and think it looks right up my alley (despite not being sold on the artwork and theme). Would love to get it on the table in the near future.

It felt a lot like HeroQuest to me. Besides the setting, major differences are that you get to level up, and the DM rotates among players.

It's also interesting that the Heroes can choose to work together (which they often have to do to win a hard mission) or they can screw with each other a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This has inspired me to get Buck Rogers: Battle for the 25th Century Game to the table this weekend. It's been too long!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scratches wrote:
It felt a lot like HeroQuest to me. Besides the setting, major differences are that you get to level up, and the DM rotates among players.

It's also interesting that the Heroes can choose to work together (which they often have to do to win a hard mission) or they can screw with each other a little bit.

Although the changes you mention are probably small for some people, they really catapult this game ahead of HeroQuest for me. Not needing a dedicated game master and encouraging a touch of schadenfreude between teams goes a long way in my books.
devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
blair lafferty

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fortunately, none of the members of my gaming society subscribe to the Cult of the New - consumerism for the sake of consumerism.

that said, any game from any era is welcome... as long as its good.

with that in mind, we've recently we've played 1985s CHILL: Black Morn Manor (Pacesetter games), and Axis and Allies: Pacific.

both are incredible, still. highly recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Crompton
United Kingdom
St Helens
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit of a 'space theme' but I played Space Hulk (1st Edition) using the solo rules and then a few days ago a group of us played Space Crusade. Great fun on both accounts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philcrompton wrote:
Bit of a 'space theme' but I played Space Hulk (1st Edition) using the solo rules...

laugh Yet another reason to love Space Hulk 1st edition! Wow, I haven't played the solo rules in years, but, now that you mention it, I really need to set that up sometime and try it again.

blush I think I've still got a couple sheets of notebook paper and grid paper in my Deathwing box from over twenty years ago - back when I was still in junior high - detailing the random maps and my casualties from one of my solo missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.