Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Huntoon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It might surprise some people that this game was originally conceived to be a board game version of the classic arcade game "Missle Command."

Many people think of "Bombardment" as just a variant of Dan Troyka's "Breakthrough" - with bombs. In fact, that is how "Bombardment" is identified over at SuperDuperGames. While the two games share the same set-up, gameplay and strategy are quite different from one another. "Breakthrough" and "Bombardment" were independently created 20 years apart, with "Bombardment" being designed first.

Back in 1980-81 I had just finished playing "Missle Command" and I thought the basic concept would make a good board game. (Making up games was always something of a hobby of mine.) It would be a head-to-head competition, with each player trying to protect their base (i.e. their edge of the board) from a missle strike. At the same time the players would seek to hit their opponent's base with one of their own missles. The players would begin with a double battery of missles. These pieces would perform double duty, acting as ballistic missles in attacking the enemy, and as counter-missles to guard your own base. Just like in "Missle Command", the key to strategly was to try and to take out multiple incoming enemy missles with an explosion of one of your own counter-missles. The game had the added twist that an explosion was potentially harmful to not just your opponent's pieces, but to your own pieces as well.

Unfortunately, I was only 14 at the time, so nothing ever came of the game beyond a few scribbled notes on some scrap paper. Honestly, I had completely forgotten about it in the intervening years. It wasn't until 2000 when President Bush started talking about his plans for a "missle defense shield" that it jogged my memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.