Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Johnson
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Busy weekend means it was Sunday evening before we got a chance to crack open the game and have a go. Fairly slow to start off with as there are a lot of player actions to choose from and a vast array of potential, which we quickly find is hugely restricted by the initial card selections forced upon us.

I was the French, only 5 coins to start off with, but potential to raid the English ships to steal their cash and my teenage son was the English, a compact front line but with lots of decent expansion in front of him, and 12 coins to exploit his available Empire cards (which one needs to buy to add to potential deck).

We had a false start in looking at sieges very early on, but this bogged down due to lack of military cards on both sides, so okay...need to build up in that direction rather more significantly to make it work.

I think this might've put us both off the military option for some time, as raids and ambushes only turned up very late in the game, and seemed quite effective at that point. In the meantime, we went for expansionism: the English for building villages, and myself as the French liking the look of upgrading villages to towns (as they give double victory points). The French are hugely restricted on having settlers to do this, which makes the two neutral Settlers a key purchase as early as possible.

I also liked the French combination of Home Support (draw three cards as a free action) and Intendant (pay two coins to take any card from discard pile into your hand). So as you can only draw up to five cards at the end of each turn, and with no hand limit, playing Home Support, then Intendant to pull it back, then play it again, increases your options dramatically.

Playing these cards, using Traders with Fur to generate cash, and Pirates from Louisberg to peg the English cash back a little, help the French to a comfortable win - but it would've been a different kettle of fish if the English had snaffled the Settlers with their early cash advantage, this strikes me as being a key part of the English strategy. Further, if they picked up Fortifications to help protect their cities, then they could happily let the French pick up villages whilst concentrating on building and fortifying towns and striding to victory.

So, we're looking to play again and switch the roles, and it'll be interesting to see how the French can break the English if they do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
I played this a couple of times this afternoon. One win for each side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.