Popular Tags: [View All]
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a couple of weeks my wife and I are off on our annual week in southern France. We rent the same house each year, in the middle of nowhere and relax for a week.

Although this time it's different. We're staying for two weeks, and the first week we are sharing with my business partner, his wife and two kids aged 7 and 10. We have no children.

Each year we take some games to play in the sun. A couple a fillers, a couple of light games and a "proper game" to play into the night whilst drinking cheap local wine. Last year we took Traders of Osaka, Finca, Stone Age and Reef Encounter. We thoroughly enjoyed them all.

This year, we're trying to think about games we can play with the other people, as well as on our own. Whilst we're driving all the way south, there isn't stacks of room in the car (it'll be full of my fishing gear!), so space is slightly limited.

If you can be bothered, I'd welcome suggestions from my own collection.

Bearing in mind that our friends are non gamers and we'd mostly be playing outdoors, albeit on a table, My initial list thus far (it needs to be trimmed) is as follows:

Tier 1 (light family)
Bohnanza
Dixit
Ubongo

Tier 2 (light adult)
Pergamon
Alien Frontiers
7 Wonders
Finca
Traders of Carthage
Carson City

Tier 3 (gamers)
Arkham Horror (a definite - current favourite)
Troyes
Dungeon Lords
Le Havre
Gates of Loyang
Vinhos (bit concerned about losing pieces for this since we'd be outdoors)

If you do feel like a browse through my collection, note that any unranked game is essentially unplayed. We do like to use this holiday as an opportunity to play at least one of the bigger unplayed games we own. We also take a known favourite just in case the new one turns out to be a dud!

Thanks in anticipation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing as I'm kind of a broken record here on BGG, I might as well go all the way--

Bring Carcassonne.

You mention on your list that you don't know why you don't play it more often. Get a drawstring bag, pack in the tiles and meeples, and you have a very compact game to carry around that will play up to 5 (or 6 with I&C) people. Who needs the stupid scoring board? A pen and scrap of paper do just as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got a 7 and 10 year old. If you want to engage them, you might try Hey, That's My Fish! and/or No Thanks!, the latter being a nice filler as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd pack fewer clothes and take all of the games. Great selection. I would add [=shipyard][/]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.