Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should Fort Beausejour have a ship symbol next to it on the board? Otherwise, how can it ever be connected to Quebec or Boston?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
"Today is the yesterday you won't be able to remember tomorrow" -Pinkwater
mbmbmbmbmb
We reported this during playtest. I never heard an answer. If Martin didn't fix it, I suspect it might just be for raids - if that's even possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Fort Beausejour was a difficult one to model. There were actually two forts very close to each other, one French, the other British, intended to watch the other. In the game the fort is intended as a means of threatening Nova Scotia with indian raids rather than as a naval base. The British would only consider taking it to deny it to the enemy.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for your reply Martin. I'm still confused because it seems to me that without a ship icon on the board, Fort Beausejour can never be connected to Boston or Quebec-- and so by the red box on page 6, the Fort Beausejour location card can't be used "in any manner". But because both Fort Beausejour cards do have icons suggests they *can* be used. We've just been playing as though Fort Beausejour is connected to every other sea location, i.e. as though it had a ship icon, so its cards can be used.

Fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ship icon on the board is not actually the thing that enables a sea transport settle action there. The icon on the board is about indicating where you can use ships as military in sieges. At Beausejour you can't do that. There are sea connections to Beausejour - see the Location cards.

I think there is some confusion in the rules caused by the labelled notes to the Board on page 2. I think the sentence saying that all board ship symbol locations are connected to each other is only for the purpose of reinforcing a siege (page 8 paragraph 3 of Reinforce a Siege) and for the purpose of allowing use of a location card (Important restrictions on the use of location cards - inset box on page 6). For the purposes of settlement not all sea locations are connected to all other sea locations. Its the list on each location cards that determines where you have a connection for the purposes of settlement.

However, if my understanding about Beausejour is right there is still a problem with it. Without a ship symbol on the map it can't technically be counted as connected to Quebec/Boston for the purposes of the two rules I cited above. Therefore technically you could not reinforce a siege there or make use of the Beausejour card. Thats clearly not whats intended.

I think we should assume Beausejour is connected by sea to Boston/Quebec
and the absence of the ship icon just indicates that you can't use ships there as military in a siege. Of course Martin needs to give a definitive answer (which his post above is not...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Horne
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Martin seems to imply that Beausejour is only used to raid from. You can't do anything else and hence use its Location card because it can never be connected to Boston/Quebec. So, why have the Location card and if you can't use the card, how does the Fur icon work on the French version of the card?

Can you help us with this Martin?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wallace
United Kingdom
Manchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Fort Beausejour does break the rules about needing to be connected to Quebec/Boston (did not come up in playtesting). Assume that it is connected to either locations, depending on who controls the fort. Having a ship symbol there would not feel right as it is at the end of a narrow inlet, subject to a wide range in tidal levels - it's not a good place for ships. As such the card can always be used as long as the location is not being besieged.

Hope that helps.

Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell D
United Kingdom
Ewell
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, that makes sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And as someone who lives just a few kilometres from Fort Beausejour, I can confirm what Martin says. He's done his homework!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, just to be sure, Fort Beausejour can be settled (or raided) by the French with a ship card + (choose one: Port Royal, Halifax, Canso, Louisbourg, Graspe, Tadoussac, or Quebec), even though it is not listed as a connected location on some of these cards?

Conversely, it can be settled (or raided) by the British with a ship card + (choose one: Pemaquid, Bosotn, New Haven, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, St. Mary's, Norfolk)?

EDIT: Or, can it only be settled/raided by cities connected by trails? If so, this is confusing, because Louisbourg is not connected to Fort Beausejour by a trail, although it is listed on the card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
So, just to be sure, Fort Beausejour can be settled (or raided) by the French with a ship card + (choose one: Port Royal, Halifax, Canso, Louisbourg, Graspe, Tadoussac, or Quebec), even though it is not listed as a connected location on some of these cards?

Conversely, it can be settled (or raided) by the British with a ship card + (choose one: Pemaquid, Bosotn, New Haven, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, St. Mary's, Norfolk)?

EDIT: Or, can it only be settled/raided by cities connected by trails? If so, this is confusing, because Louisbourg is not connected to Fort Beausejour by a trail, although it is listed on the card!

For purposes of Control, all sea locations are connected to all sea locations. For purposes of Settling, you must have a Location card that connects to your intended destination. For purposes of Raiding you may trace a continuous path through any location, controlled or not, including Trails, but excluding locations that need a Ship symbol to reach.

So no, of the cards you name above you can only settle with the ones naming Fort B as being connected.

You may not Raid from any location which is only connected by a ship symbol.

You may not Settle any location from a location that is connected by only a Trail.

That Louisbourg is connected to Fort B is a reflection of its sea connection. There is no Trail connection on the map because there is no other connection between them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catmando wrote:
For purposes of Control, all sea locations are connected to all sea locations.

What do you mean "By purposes of control"? I dont really see any way all sea locations are connected to eachother, except that if they have a ship icon on them, that ship icon can be used as transport from any other sea location.
But if a siege is declared at a sea location it isn't automathically connected to all other sea locations and hence may allways be reinforced, but it still has to have a path from boston/Qubec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I mean what the rules say: to settle, siege, etc from a sea location to sea location, you need to control a location that has a link to that spot. Once you've gained control of that location, it doesn't matter if you lose control of the intervening locations; all sea locations connect, so you may always trace a path to Quebec, New York, Boston.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
flag msg tools
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
badge
[G]RRRRRRRRRR
mbmbmbmbmb
angelgabriel wrote:
Should Fort Beausejour have a ship symbol next to it on the board? Otherwise, how can it ever be connected to Quebec or Boston?

I don't really understand the specific issue (nor do I understand Martin's replies), but maybe I am missing something really important. The box on page 6 says that a location is connected to Boston/Quebec if a connection can be traced there via connected and controlled locations. Clearly, the card does list locations that are connected and other cards list a connection to Fort Beausejour, so I don't really understand your "how can it ever be connected". The only case in which a problem might arise is when one player has settled Fort Beausejour and the other one has settled all the locations that connect to it. In this rare case I would (and will) simply treat it as isolated (contrary to Martin's ruling which seems to be not in tune with his earlier non rule specific reply).

Why should the fact that the board does not have a ship symbol for Fort Beausejour clash with the explicit connectedness to neighbouring locations by ship as listed by the card? As Martin pointed out, while the Fort can be reached by sea (hence the card's listing), due to the lack of a suitable or permanently usable harbour, it cannot be considered having a standing connection to Boston/Quebec by sea (hence there is no sea symbol on the map). Thus, it will simply have to trace its connection via neigbouring settlements.

There would be a problem if there were a rule saying that a location card giving ship connections can only be used if the map of that location does have a ship symbol. But there is no such rule. This means that while a location can be reached by ship and can also be used to settle neighbouring locations, this sea connection cannot be considered stable enough to constitute a standing connection to either of the major cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.