Subject: In search of the Carnation Treasure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like deduction games and was intrigued by the theme of the French Revolution in Jarjais. The goal of the game is to locate the "Carnation Treasure" which was supposed to be used to free Marie Antoinette from jail, with the note hidden in a bouquet of carnations given to her. I have been lucky enough to obtain a copy from the designer as the game is only available in France right now and was able to give it a whirl.

Jarjais
comes in a nice small box that includes a deck of cards, money, pencils and a note pad for tracking information and making your guesses. The game is for 2-4 players. So far I have only played 2 player but it worked surprisingly well.

The deck is composed of "clue" cards - person cards, location cards and date/year cards as well as 4 types of special cards. First the the person, location and date of the carnation treasure is determined by randomly drawing one of each type of card and setting them aside, without peeking!

The other cards in the game are gravel cards (kind of filler cards), secret cache cards to get more money and 2 or each of these red backed special cards the municipal council and flood cards.

Each player also takes a note sheet and 6 money.

All the cards are shuffled together (in a 2 player game remove 6 of the 12 gravel cards) and each player gets 4 cards to start. Before you are allowed to take notes you draft the cards keeping one and passing the others until each player has 4 cards again so a small memory element here. Then you may take notes. Each clue card also has some number (1-4) fleur de lis in the corner. To completely eliminate a clue you must see all 4 of theses cards.

Then each player chooses a card and places it face down, cards are added from the deck until 6 cards are in the pile. If a red back card is drawn at any time, you immediately follow the effects. The council cards makes you pass 3 cards to the player on your left and the flood card has you turn over cards from the deck until 2 clue cards are showing then reshuffled. After the 6 cards are placed this is called the major bid, players bid money for them. The winner takes the cards. Then a minor bid occurs in which the winner takes 3 cards from the deck.

Then is a small action phase in which you can play a secret cache card to get money, take 2 money or draw 1 card from the deck.

Next comes an optional trade phase which we skipped in our 2 player game but can add some bluffing and negotiation to the game.

Next players may reveal gravel cards. if a player discards 3 gravel cards they are allowed to draw 1 card from the deck and the gravel cards are discarded. Then players check for a hand limit of 8 and extra cards are discarded.

Then the major bid phase is repeated and so on until the cards from the deck are depleted. This ends the first round and players must guess the carnation treasure. The Discards are shuffled and the second round begins with a drafting phase again and so on.

After the deck runs out again, the second round is over and players make their final determinations. The answer is revealed and players earn 2 points for each correct guess in Round 2 and 1 pt for each correct guess in round 1 and minus 1 point for each wrong guess in round 1. The winner has the most points!

Mary's winning note card, the answers are circled at the top

My card

So overall a very nice deduction game with a theme that will fit right in with the rest of the games we play on Bastille Day Liberté and Guillotine. There is some luck involved but it's definitely not as chaotic as say Mystery of the Abbey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar de Curbans
France
flag msg tools
designer
Re: In search for the Carnation Treasure
Hi Friend,
thank you very much for the nice review!
I wanted to add that I was really stunned by the wonderful artwork by Nele Klumpe , a young German designer, who did not hear about Marie Antoinette and the Revolution before we asked her for the job.
She worked and imagined the drawings from real ancient portraits or miniatures and respected the dresses, paces, giving the game an innocent-like but historical-true flavour.
I wanted to thank Nele for all the pleasure I had to discover her talents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: In search for the Carnation Treasure
Yes the art on the cards is really nice and seems to fit the period nicely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Lorna for the great review! Game now added to my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool -- we're headed to Europe at the end of the month and I was wondering what I should pick up. This now tops my list. Thanks for the heads-up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.