Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend asked me this question. I told him he played it correctly, but wanted some other opinions. Here's the situation he emailed me:

Played 4 player game of Metro. The last set of turns we went around the table to place our final tiles. My brother had one tile he was holding from his last turn, because he drew and played a different one. Because of that, there were insufficient tiles for the last player to take their last turn. No tiles were left, except the one my brother didn't play. Does he get an extra turn, out of order, or does he have to turn it back in to be made available for the last player(s) to play? I took his tile and played it, so that all tiles were played by all players, and everyone got the same number of turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like someone must have been skipped at some point in the game. The number of tiles is evenly divisible by all player counts so everyone should get the same number of turns. For the last round of plays, everyone should be playing the tile that they are holding in hand (since there won't be any tiles left to draw).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't like the tile you are currently holding and draw a new tile and play it, then there's 1 less tile in the pool. So even though with 4 players, there would be 15 turns each, if someone is still holding a tile in front of them, then the tiles wouldn't come out even and that's what I think my friend was saying.

His brother had a tile in front of him, but opted to take the last tile from the pool. So when it was my friend's turn, there was no tiles left in the pool, just the one his brother had but didn't play (which was the last unplayed tile) So the question is who plays that tile. His brother who currently has it, or him since it is his turn. Even though it could only go one 1 spot on the board, the orientation could matter for whoever is placing that tile

I'm thinking his brother gives the last tile to whomever is next to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On each turn, each player will draw one tile, play one tile, and be left holding one tile. Either they will play first and then draw being left holding one or they draw and play the drawn tile, holding the one they started with. Either way, each player is only removing a single tile from the pool on a turn. Unless someone is skipped, everyone will pull the same number of tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Yeah, the group simply screwed up the turn order at some point.

Play and draw, or draw and play - either way, the stock of tiles goes down by 1 with each player's turn, and everyone gets the same number of turns since 60 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Anderson
msg tools
mb
You played correctly. Your brother held one tile, drew and played another. It doesn't make any difference since at the end there was only one tile left, one place to play it, and no option as to tile orientation.

In this case the final placement is preordained, so equal turns don't matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.