9 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Engagment questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Guerra
Argentina
flag msg tools
I need to better understand about engagement since i think I may be making a couple of mistakes. I'm trying to be clear as much as I can. Thank you.

In Phase 5: Encounter, it says "Each player may choose and engage one enemy from the staging area". Now, If I choose for example to engage a Hero Card in a card such as "Forest Spider" that says "AFTER Forest spider engages a player, it get +1 until the end of the round".

Does it means in the previous example that since I engage "Before" Forest Spider can engage against me during Engagment Checks or Combat, that this power can't be use against me?. Is this one of the reason one plays and engage in the Encounter phase, thous avoiding this "After Forest...." ?.

I also have another question regarding the previous step. If the two cards are now engaged, does it means that during the first phase of Combat the enemy is "force" to play against my Hero since I engaged him during "Player Engagment"?.

If the previous is correct, what do I do with "Declare defender: exhaust 1 character to defend". Since I already engaged with the enemy during the phase 5, Encounter, and I can't play another defender on an enemy I already engaged?

Thank you for any help I could get!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maxstock wrote:
In Phase 5: Encounter, it says "Each player may choose and engage one enemy from the staging area". Now, If I choose for example to engage a Hero Card in a card such as "Forest Spider" that says "AFTER Forest spider engages a player, it get +1 until the end of the round".

Does it means in the previous example that since I engage "Before" Forest Spider can engage against me during Engagment Checks or Combat, that this power can't be use against me?. Is this one of the reason one plays and engage in the Encounter phase, thous avoiding this "After Forest...." ?.

Whether you optionally engage or it is forced due to threat, the Forest Spider has engaged you and it's ability is triggered.

The reason for optionally engaging is so that you can manage the monsters better. You can engage them before they would otherwise engage you (thus getting their threat out of the staging area). Also, if you are playing with a teammate, then you have some flexibility as to who engages which monsters.

maxstock wrote:
I also have another question regarding the previous step. If the two cards are now engaged, does it means that during the first phase of Combat the enemy is "force" to play against my Hero since I engaged him during "Player Engagment"?.

If the previous is correct, what do I do with "Declare defender: exhaust 1 character to defend". Since I already engaged with the enemy during the phase 5, Encounter, and I can't play another defender on an enemy I already engaged?

You may declare any of your heroes or allies to be the defender. Engaging the enemy does not exhaust any of your characters. Engaging the enemy simply pulls them out of the staging area and sets up combat. Declaring a defender is a seperate step that is part of the Combat Phase.

Hope this helps.

-TR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In Phase 5: Encounter, it says "Each player may choose and engage one enemy from the staging area". Now, If I choose for example to engage a Hero Card in a card such as "Forest Spider" ...

During engagement, there is no reference to any of your heroes or allies. You just pick one enemy.

Quote:
Does it means in the previous example that since I engage "Before" Forest Spider can engage against me during Engagment Checks or Combat, that this power can't be use against me?.

No. The rule book says:
The Rule Book wrote:
Whether an enemy is engaged through an engagement check, through a card effect, or through a player’s choice, the end result is the same, with the enemy and the player engaging one another. In all cases, the player is considered to have engaged the enemy and the enemy is considered to have engaged the player. Note that during this phase enemies do not attack

The only way to avoid an effect, like that of the Forest Spider, which triggers when a card engages you is it never engage it. You can do this either by keeping your threat low (and not optionally engaging) or by killing it with Thalin and/or Dunhere when it is revealed or while it is in the staging area.

Quote:

No. As I said above, you make no reference to any of your heroes or allies when you optionally engage an enemy. Likewise, when enemies engage you during the engagement check, no reference is made to particular heroes or allies.

During the Encounter Phase player engagement and engagement checks enemies merely change the status of some enemies from "in the staging area" to "engaged". You only match up defenders to attacking enemies in the combat phase that follows next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Guerra
Argentina
flag msg tools
Mr. D, BitJam, thank you for the responses. I think my confusion is due to the fact that rules or play varies a lot depending on the cards (I"m not familiar with this type of card game). I want to take the time to ask just one more question since I think I may not had play well this game (3 plays so far).

During phase 7, refresh, once I ready again the characters that are engaged in front of me, do they get back again to my Area or do they stay in play engaged (and out of the staging area).

And if they do stay engaged , as well as Enemy characters (and out of the staging area), this enemies don't count during the Quest phase since they are out of the staging area, right?.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yohann Strovengard
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
maxstock wrote:
During phase 7, refresh, once I ready again the characters that are engaged in front of me, do they get back again to my Area or do they stay in play engaged (and out of the staging area).

Your characters don't leave your play area when you exhaust them to defend or attack.
Your characters are not engaged with any enemy. You, as a player, are engaged with the enemy.

The rules state that: "Whether an enemy is engaged through an engagement
check, through a card effect, or through a player’s choice, the end result is the same, with the enemy and the player engaging one another. In all cases, the player is considered to have engaged the enemy and the enemy is considered to have engaged the player."

In phase 7, all your characters are just readied and they stay where they are (in your play area)... except when otherwise noted (Gandalf being discarded for example)

maxstock wrote:
And if they do stay engaged , as well as Enemy characters (and out of the staging area), this enemies don't count during the Quest phase since they are out of the staging area, right?.

Yes, you're right.
The rule for quest resolution states that: "the players compare the combined willpower strength of all committed characters against the
combined threat strength of all cards in the staging area..."
As engaged enemies are not in the staging area, as you noted, their threat strength does not count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Guerra
Argentina
flag msg tools
Thank you all for all the answers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notion Perpetual
Greece
flag msg tools
in a solo game , how many enemies can engage you in one round ?
the rules state that one highest valued enemy does that! ,after this the next player and so on...
Since this is a solo game i suppose only one enemy can engage me in one round!!!
am i right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
player26 wrote:
in a solo game , how many enemies can engage you in one round ?
the rules state that one highest valued enemy does that! ,after this the next player and so on...
Since this is a solo game i suppose only one enemy can engage me in one round!!!
am i right?

Er, no. They keep coming at you if your threat level is high enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Notion Perpetual
Greece
flag msg tools
thx a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.