Subject: Olympia Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
These questions are based on the Olympia board Side B. Most specifically, the third stage wonder ability of Side B.

1) A neighbor of Olympia has the Architechts Guild (Leaders expansion). Olympia builds the third stage. I assume this third stage doesn't count as a guild for that guild purposes, but just want to see if I am missing something here.

2) Olympia elects to copy the Shipowners Guild from another player. Olympia has 4 browns, 2 grays and no other guilds. Does Olympia get 6 or 7 points from copying the Shipowners Guild? This happened in an earlier game we played and we ruled that Olympia gets 7 points because the Shipowners Guild counts.

3) Olympia has the Shipowners Guild built and elects to copy another guild. Let's say the Builders Guild for argument sake. The Shipowers Guild normally earns Olympia 7 points. Does it become 8 points, because Olympia effectively has another guild? I'm inclined to say yes to this one too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
2) Olympia elects to copy the Shipowners Guild from another player. Olympia has 4 browns, 2 grays and no other guilds. Does Olympia get 6 or 7 points from copying the Shipowners Guild? This happened in an earlier game we played and we ruled that Olympia gets 7 points because the Shipowners Guild counts.

3) Olympia has the Shipowners Guild built and elects to copy another guild. Let's say the Builders Guild for argument sake. The Shipowers Guild normally earns Olympia 7 points. Does it become 8 points, because Olympia effectively has another guild? I'm inclined to say yes to this one too.

For both of these I would say no, Olympia gets the fewer number of points. Olympia doesn't have an 8th card, which is what the Shipowner's Guild gives points for. (Similar to how Olympia produces wood, but that's not considered to be a wood card for the various powers which award coins or points based on the number of brown cards.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Nesci
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
These questions are based on the Olympia board Side B. Most specifically, the third stage wonder ability of Side B.

1) A neighbor of Olympia has the Architechts Guild (Leaders expansion). Olympia builds the third stage. I assume this third stage doesn't count as a guild for that guild purposes, but just want to see if I am missing something here.

Olympia stage III is not a guild or a purple card. It is a wonder stage. It has the same effect as a guild card but it is not and never counts as a purple card either for your opponents or for yourself.
Other analogies in the game are Babylon free science symbol (or the science leaders) not counting as a green card, or Rhodes military stages not being red cards. They have the same effect but are not cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.