Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this look like it will be a good game for playing with children, say 10 and up? It certainly has the look, but I'd hate to get interested in it only to find that its rules are beyond what a child can follow. The suggested age range apparently wavers back and forth from 10 to 12. For anyone who has played a demo of this, how do you think it will stack up for kids?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this or looked at the rules, but I would guess that if the children are gamers, it shouldn't be a problem. My gamer kids consistently play games marked well over their actual age. If they aren't gamers well …

Edit: The only thing that turns me off from buying this for my 7 and 10 year olds is the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Garcia
United States
Touchet
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I've played this with my niece and nephew (12 & 7 at the time) but they both had a good grasp of the game a few turns in. And the artwork is great for kids, especially if they like the chibi anime look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the complete rules the children should play the heroes because they can concentrate on only one or two characters with few special rules to remember.

They can also gang up against Dad (= Dark Consul) which should be even more fun. The Dark Consul-player has much more to do and should guide the children (turn order, etc.) .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Ghost
msg tools
mbmbmb
I tested the demo rules with my 7 year old son using D&D map tiles and a few counters. He had no problems using the stats and playing the game. His only difficulty was to remember the keywords since he only reads french for the moment (I need to translate the cards).

He played the Heroes (Dwarf Warrior and Human Paladin) while I played the Kobolds. It was easier for him to have only two units to care for. His strategy was direct: head straight for the pens (spawning areas) and destroy them. If ever there was a Kobold between his Heroes and the pens, kill it. Needless to say that he won the game. The game lasted between 45 min and 1 hour (while going back to the rules for some clarifications).

What he liked most:
- to get bonus each time he inflicted a wound on a Kobold (I wasn't spawning enough Kobolds to efficiently protect my pens, even with the MOB keyword),
- to get treasure when opening the chest.

The only trouble I have with the demo rules is what to do when one of the Kobold pens is destroyed: can I still spawn Kobolds ? We ruled that I could only spawn 2 skulls worth of Kobolds with one pen and that I could not save spawning points from one turn to another (to spawn a Kobold priest).

All in all, a nice and fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Ghost wrote:

The only trouble I have with the demo rules is what to do when one of the Kobold pens is destroyed: can I still spawn Kobolds ? We ruled that I could only spawn 2 skulls worth of Kobolds with one pen and that I could not save spawning points from one turn to another (to spawn a Kobold priest).

All in all, a nice and fun game.

You can spawn 4 skulls worth of kobolds with EVERY spawn point, so at the start of the demo 8 points, after the destruction of the first spawn point 4 points and after the detsruction of the last 0 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is this dungeon crawl light?
It looks so cool, but I want something that looks like that but has meat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:
So is this dungeon crawl light?
It looks so cool, but I want something that looks like that but has meat.

You can download the demo rules and judge for yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But remember: these are only the core-rules without the rules for Mini-Boss-/Boss-fights, full-scale games with 3 or 5 heroes and the special-abilities from the complete loot- and relic-cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.