The Man
msg tools
Hi, hope this isn't too much of a spoiler, but some locks are deadly. When you are unfortunate enough to open such a door, do you die in the room you are entering from, or do you die in the room you are going to? This is important for the recovery of objects from the unfortunate Investigator. The rules seems to support both interpretations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably in the room they entered. Does it make a difference in a scenario?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Scen 5, 1B either the investigators avoid the Freezer or if an investigator enters and dies from the Lock, Keeper wins, no respawning. That Lock isn't used in A or B Objectives I think. I did see Season of the Witch had a killing Lock, but didn't check any of the Objectives to see if that wins the game for the Keeper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
It makes i big difference. Sometimes doing something with an Item is explicitly necessary to win, other times it is just really helpful. Having stuff unavailable in an " auto-kill" room is obviously a challenge for the Investigators ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't Locks discarded after the card is first flipped over? At least most of them if you pass through the Door. So getting one investigator killed removes the Lock and the next investigator enters for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
Dam the Man wrote:
Aren't Locks discarded after the card is first flipped over? At least most of them if you pass through the Door. So getting one investigator killed removes the Lock and the next investigator enters for free.

I am pretty sure a Lock card specifically says when it is to be discarded. Still my question holds about where the stuff goes....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Johnson
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
My understanding is that the lock is into the room, rather than to the person. And once solved by one investigator, is thereby solved for all subsequent trips into the room! Moreover, if the lock WERE to stay, then how would the mechanic of flipping additional cards work? Would the lock be placed to the side for that single investigator and then returned to the stack after the exploration was complete? Nah, too awkward.

Just my $.02
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally at home. After checking the rules, I'm going to flip-flop on my original position:

"Before a player
physically moves his investigator figure into the room, the keeper
turns the Lock card faceup and reads it aloud to all players." (p. 8)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
yodatodd wrote:
My understanding is that the lock is into the room, rather than to the person. And once solved by one investigator, is thereby solved for all subsequent trips into the room! Moreover, if the lock WERE to stay, then how would the mechanic of flipping additional cards work? Would the lock be placed to the side for that single investigator and then returned to the stack after the exploration was complete? Nah, too awkward.

Just my $.02

There is something explicit that says discard the lock, that is how I see it. An official answer would be good...What do others think about the Lock cards, auto discard after resolving,or does there have to be something saying how to discard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul V
msg tools
In any event, you can't be left with the player's stuff in a room that can't be entered.

Either the lock card is not discarded, in which case the original character could not have successfully entered the room (a lock that is not discarded causes the movement to be aborted), or the lock is discarded and it doesn't really matter that much where the stuff drops.

I'd still rule in the latter case that the corpse drops in the room the investigator was attempting to exit, not the room they were attempting to enter, since even if discarded, a lock's text is resolved before the movement step is completed and the dead investigator cannot complete the movement step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man
msg tools
rankinsect wrote:
In any event, you can't be left with the player's stuff in a room that can't be entered.

Either the lock card is not discarded, in which case the original character could not have successfully entered the room (a lock that is not discarded causes the movement to be aborted), or the lock is discarded and it doesn't really matter that much where the stuff drops.

I'd still rule in the latter case that the corpse drops in the room the investigator was attempting to exit, not the room they were attempting to enter, since even if discarded, a lock's text is resolved before the movement step is completed and the dead investigator cannot complete the movement step.

Here is the rule:
"Lock cards often require the investigator to discard a specific
Exploration card or solve a puzzle in order to enter the room.If the player is unable to discard the proper card or solve the
puzzle, then he cannot enter the room this turn (and wasted
this Movement Step). When a moving investigator encounters
an ability saying “this door is locked,” his figure remains in its
current room and cannot move for this Movement Step."

You see why this is hard? Locks often require puzzles or cards, but not all of them. The part about not entering the room refers to Locks with puzzles and not solving them. These nasty doors are not puzzles, but it doesn't say "this door is locked", and there are no conditions to discard.The rules do not say that a Lock that is not discarded causes the move the be aborted, it says the the move is aborted if the door stays locked. AAARGHHH!! yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul V
msg tools
conedguy wrote:
rankinsect wrote:

Here is the rule:
"Lock cards often require the investigator to discard a specific
Exploration card or solve a puzzle in order to enter the room.If the player is unable to discard the proper card or solve the
puzzle, then he cannot enter the room this turn (and wasted
this Movement Step). When a moving investigator encounters
an ability saying “this door is locked,” his figure remains in its
current room and cannot move for this Movement Step."

You see why this is hard? Locks often require puzzles or cards, but not all of them. The part about not entering the room refers to Locks with puzzles and not solving them. These nasty doors are not puzzles, but it doesn't say "this door is locked", and there are no conditions to discard.The rules do not say that a Lock that is not discarded causes the move the be aborted, it says the the move is aborted if the door stays locked. AAARGHHH!! yuk

I'd still say that, since the lock text is resolved before your movement is completed, you cannot complete the movement step because you are dead. I'm not sure anything specifically in the rules states that explicitly, but I think it's a relatively logical extension of the rules regarding what happens when you are unable to complete an action you tried (as in the case of locks or puzzles), so I'd draw the parallel and say you could not enter the room.

I agree there could be some rules-lawyery ambiguity, but I would rule that they had died in their original room, so that's how my group would/will play that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.