Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Enjoying the game, but not sure how to handle this:

I have three mounted archers in a line, and they all intend to pass by a mounted knight and fire, spending the extra movement to enter and leave the ZOC. The first passes in, fires, and is not countercharged. He vacates the area.

The second enters and is countercharged. This is resolved with the result the knight moves a space forward to occupy a vacated space. What happens to the third archer? Can he sweep in behind and avoid a counter charge? Can the knight counter charge twice? Is fire resolution all handled at once, or during the move process?

Is the knight able to make a facing response to a mounted archer? How many times? Or can the mounted archer manipulate things by running 'around the back' to avoid counter charges? For example, a mounted archer in front of a knight could swing all the way round the back for a back shot, which seems a bit odd.

Thanks for any input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Edit: ignore my answers, correct ones posted by others.

I'm just learning this game myself. Scanning the rules I can't see an obvious answer to your questions. But here's what I'd do:

I'd say that you've resolved the charge that resulted from the counter-charge too early. You should have moved the knight next to the archer, dropped a charge counter on it, finished moving other units. Then resolved the attack in the shock phase.

Yes, he can sweep behind and avoid a counter charge; "A defending Heavy Cavalry or Knight unit may change facing one vertex in order to effect a Counter-Charge."

"Can a knight counter charge twice?" I would say no, since they can only charge one unit normally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
The third archer moves and fires at the Knight during its movement. Per the third paragraph of 13.6, a Knight or Heavy Cavalry unit may Counter-Charge only once per Activation.
Fire resolution is handled during movement (11.2 Acitve Fire), as the Counter-Charge was rightly resolved during the movement.
There are no Reaction facing changes, so after the Counter-Charge the Knight will be sitting in the same position until the next Activation, baring Retreat results.

Getting the Knights out of line and then peppering them with arrows is what the Saracen Light Cavalry tactics is all about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks, guys!
I guess I was doing it ok- and being smarter as the Saracen than I expected!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.