JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow geeks! It's Monday! The weekend is now over, and as we toil at our assorted labors, we should recount our past weekend gaming exploits.

So, all you weekend gamers, bring your mini-session reports and stories of weekend gaming greatness, as you pop in here to answer the question:
What did you play this weekend?

The Geeklist version can be found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/69885/what-did-you-pla...

Check out the subscription thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4115320 Subscribe so you don't miss a single moment of the fun!

Game day weekend!

2011-07-16 - Our monthly game day! We had a great turn out (around 30 throughout the day), and had some guests. Jeremiah_Lee travelled the almost two hour trip to

come, and my mom was down from upstate NY and attended. It was an awesome day of games with good friends. I got into an incredibly awesome game of The Resistance, and experienced my first ever "Everyone but one person wins" game of Cosmic Encounter. Of course I was the one person, but that is what I get for going for the Solo win and refusing all allies.
The Resistance x2
Modern Art
Snow Tails
Werewolf x2
Illuminati: Deluxe Edition
Run Wild
Wizard
Ticket to Ride
Can't Stop
Cosmic Encounter x2
Puzzle Strike x3

2011-07-17 - A laid back Sunday of rest after a hardcore game day. We had my friend ZombieEarl over for a few games and pizza during the evening.
Pandemic x2
Clans
Glory to Rome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
5 players on Saturday. We played
Chaos in the Old World with the new Chaos in the Old World: The Horned Rat Expansion expansion;
Caylus;
History of the World and
Wizard
meeple

Edit: formatting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game trying the no sympathizer option. The humans won far too easily. I'm considering tying 2 Cylons in a 4 player game unless one of the dials is extremely low rather than half way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Walston
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Le Havre Had a funny start to this one. One turn Thursday night, half the game Friday night, then finished it on Saturday. My wife was really funny about it. Hated, hated it the first two sessions. Then we finished the game and she said hey.. I kinda like it. Played a second, and third, game on Sunday. Now she thinks she might like it better than Agricola!

Kingsburg Two games of this over the weekend. First was great, second was with a tired wife and tired/distracted daughter. Wife enjoyed this one as well, going to surprise her with the expansion... Definitely was a nice trade, getting this for Small World.

Colossal Arena Two player of this with the wife. Her second or third time playing it. She wanted a tuner session to try and get the rules better. Close game where she secret bet on my 4 point bet and I was sure it was on another creature (-:

Stone Age Fun game and the wife likes it as well. So far it seems that our collection is hitting the right geek spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Zen Hamster
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When I'm in charge, every mission is a suicide mission.
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a fantastic weekend for board games. Bought 5, played 3.

7 Wonders Diving right into the 2 player expert version wasn't perhaps the best idea for our first attempt, but we muddled through. Still a little confused about the Free City and some of the cards need clarification. Overall it looks like a very fun game.

Forbidden Island Fun, quick, ideal for new players to board games. I prefer something a bit meatier, but cranking up the difficulty should mean the game gets some love.

World of Warcraft: The Boardgame My wife and I are recovering WoW addicts, so this is the closest we can get to the online game. The Board Game was intimidating, with an Arkham Horror-like setup and rules that were written by a blind Himalayan yak with dislexia. The game came with an unexpected difficulty when we found the white triangle cards and blue square cards were in Czech. Much Google translate ensued (Oooh..."Nepočítá se do limitu počtu vĕcí v batohu" means it doesn't count towards the number of items in your backpack!) We had fun with 2 player coop, but future games will be played as 2 player competitive with us each taking 2 players from the Alliance and Horde.

We didn't get a chance to try Race for the Galaxy: Rebel vs Imperium or Defenders of the Realm. Hopefully today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No game playing this weekend - just painted my miniatures from Mansions of Madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Phillips
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two four-player games of 7 Wonders with the leaders expansion. First time playing the leaders. Not sure they add that much to the game, but I don't think it was a bad addition either.

Finished third in the first game, tied for second in the second game.

Then we played a four-player game of Amun-Re. I won that game by a tie breaker - I had two more pyramids than my opponent at the end of the game. The difference in the end game was that my opponent went for the most pyramids in a province at the end of the Old Kingdom instead of completing a set of pyramids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cássio F. Lemos
Brazil
Santa Maria
RS
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday:
Nexus Ops
Bootleggers
Bison: Thunder on the Prairie

Saturday:
Memoir '44
Norenberc
Strasbourg
Scrabble Slam!
Pictureka! Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes and Endeavor...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board games addict
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

In my gaming group we are all about 7 Wonders these days.

We played some games with the leaders expansion, its very good.
I am uprating my 7 Wonders rating, its just a great light game.

We also played one of my favorites - Blue Moon City

I ended up winning, heh, one of the reasons I enjoy the game so much is because I tend to win this game more often and in my gaming group this is a rare thing for me with most games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexis Perez
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only got to play on Friday evening. I got in my first game of Fury of Dracula. This was surprisingly satisfying. Where Letters from White Chapel is fun but leaves me feeling it's not enough game for the amount of time invested, Dracula was tense and had a lot going on. Traps and fights and all sorts of exciting things going on.

The second game I got in Friday evening was Fresco which also was surprisingly good. The hidden worker assignment mechanic was a lot of fun. Although one player shot by us point wise by just collecting money. A strategy that I and another player hadn't really considered since we were collecting most of the large scoring tiles. The third player scored some low and medium tiles but then swooped in with like 20+ points in money at the end (for those that played that's more than 40 coins she had managed to collect over the game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek
United States
East Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very hot weekend here in western NY, perfect for staying in the AC and doing some gaming.

My girlfriend and I tried out two new games(To us)

Jambo - Really liked this game, very simple to understand but looks like it has a decent amount of underlying strategy. She won, by a lot. yuk

51st State - Wow, great game. I LOVE the theme. the rulebook however can be a little overwhelming at first glace due to all the iconography and such, but once we started playing everything clicked and we enjoyed it quite a bit. I won our first game cool

And then our staples..
Dominion x 2
Carcassonne x1

Overall a good weekend for us. Eagerly awaiting my order of Claustrophobia and Summoner Wars: Master Set!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer of the Scots- I played two games of HoTS. One as the English and the other as the Scots. Won both. I love this game. I never tire of playing it.

Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83- Played this one for the first time. As usual we made mistakes playing it. The naval movement/attack rules are a little tricky. I look forward to getting this one back to the table soon while I still remember the rules. I think I will enjoy it more the second time playing the navies properly. I lost this one as the English.

Julius Caesar-I was Pompey and won as Ceasar sued for peace in the second to last year. My friend is thinking it is too hard to win with Ceasar playing someone who knows the game. I would like to try Ceasar next time to see just how hard it is. This game gets better every time I play. There are a lot of interesting decisions and different paths to victory. I still think contoling the seas is one of the most important things to do in this game.

Black Gold- Played this one for the first time. It is the American reprint of Giganten. I went last in a five player game and got crushed. The other players were all very close. An interesting game that I would like to play again now that I understand the rules and mechanics better.

El Grande- Every time I play this game I remember why I like it so much. This may be one I have to add to my collection. I lost a close five player game by two points.

Notre Dame- Played this one for the first time. Easy to learn and plays fast. I lost a close four player game. The winner used the one section that gives him an extra point and since he had four cubes there he managed to pick up an extra two points every time he scored. that was definately the difference.

Le Havre- A long and at time frustrating game as you always are so close to breaking out if you can only do two or three extra things instead of worrying about feeding your people. The winner of this one crushed the rest of us as she had four ships. I really need to get a better understanding of the buildings and ships in this one.

Alien Frontiers- And lastly I played this one with three other players. I got off to a great start but lost on the placing of the last colony. This one is a little frustrating as well as you can really be stiffled if you don't get the dice roles you need. There are so many decisions and combinations that come into play that this is a game that could definately be prone to AP. Not one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Gabelman
United States
Beachwood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola - Taught a friend and he really liked it. Of course he only added a 3rd family member at the very end and I crushed him by 10 points.

Lost Cities - One of my gf's favorites. She always says: Can we play City Lines or Lost Battles? (She likes Battle Line also). Hey - I'm just glad we can play something! She'll even play San Juan occasionally. Let's hope Puerto Rico is in our future.

Hammer of the Scots - Played this with the gf for 1 hour. To be fair, she gave it a fair shot, but I think she prefers tactical to strategic games. The long term planning and dice turned her off. I need to find people to play this one with! Some of the rules, while they make sense, are hard to remember (when to add the French knight, when to roll for the two nobles, etc...). Still - I really like this one a lot!

Not a bad weekend.

-JRG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is going to school at Depaul. Maybe I'll look you up for a game of HoTS next time I'm up there. I really love that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Brady
United States
Hanover
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing next to nothing last weekend I knew I had to play more games this weekend. Even though I still didnt play as much as I wanted to, I did better than the 2 games last weekend. Here is a list of games from this weekend.

Intrigue
The Red Dragon Inn 3
There's a Moose in the House
RoboRally
Betrayal at House on the Hill
7 Wonders with 7 leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
De Waey Joeri
Belgium
Oostende
West-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only 2 games played:

O Zoo le Mio
Mosaix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick PA
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a very long and nice gaming weekend...
We managed to play:

10 x Nightfall
4 x Fluxx
1 x Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
1 x Ticket to Ride: Europe
1 x Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
1 x Carcassonne
1 x Alhambra
1 x Arkham Horror
2 x Mansions of Madness
1 x Saint Petersburg
1 x Fury of Dracula (second edition)

It was a very good week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Wynn
United States
Cartersville
Georgia
flag msg tools
I love Nintendo as well!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thursday Night:

The first game up was a 3 player game of Grimoire. I really like this quick card game. The spell books are an interesting part of the game and it really relies on your ability to predict what others are going to do. I lost. I am not very good at the game, but it is a lot of fun to play.

Age of Steam Expansion: Mexico & China: This was the main attraction for the night, and boy was this a crazy game. We tried the China map for the first time, and it is really great. I really like how tight the money is. There was a lot of fighting over specific spots on the board, as well. This was a fun map. This one ended in a tie for first, with myself and another player having 93 points at the end of the game. Our first tie in AoS.

Unnamed Object: This was the last game of the night. We played it to wind down from the truly intense game of Age of Steam just prior. Lost this one as well, but it is always fun!

Friday Night:

I was lucky to get in two nights of gaming this week. And lucky enough to play a large variety of games. Here goes!

We Didn't Playtest This At All w/ We Didn't Playtest This At All: Chaos Pack x3: This game continues to be a hit with everyone that I introduce it to. The combination of complete randomness and the VERY quick (always under six or seven minutes) playtime allows this one to hit the table a lot.

Galaxy Trucker: This was fun game, but a blow out. I taught this to two new players and everyone had a blast. I won in the end (for the first time). The other two want to play this one again soon, and are thinking about purchasing the game!

Magical Athlete x2: Another hit with the group that I introduced this to. A fun game to play every once in a while, even if it is very random. Everyone had a blast with the character interactions and the draft. Another game that had some thinking about a purchase.

7 Wonders: This was a hit as well, but not as large as Galaxy Trucker and Magical Athlete. Still, everyone had a good time and recognized the game as an interesting drafting game and one that is easy to play to boot!

Overall, I had quite a good weekend of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
Looks like 28 is coming in this year!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one game, on Sunday night with the little lady.

Thunderstone, her first game with the Thornwood Siege cards mixed in. With the Doomgate setting, we had 4 Monster groups, it was a great game, 100-96 final score where I came up on top

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
my wife and i played some advance to board walk, a little bit of adverteasing, and a lot of lie cheat & steal. i also played a little bit of labyrinth (1979), by myself!¡!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10-year old daughter and I played some games:

Water Lily - 2 sessions. She beat me both times. She plays it like a race.

Archaeology: The Card Game - 2 sessions, new to us. We really liked this game. Lots of fun and the randomness punishes card hoarders. We are both excited to play again. I love it when a game works out well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
One game:

Lord of the Rings: Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played one game of Unnamed Object Saturday morning with my son and daughter.

Then I played two games of Starfire (3rd Edition) that evening with my son.

Phased movement was frustrating to my son when he was 7-- he wanted to fire every phase. But the system of finishing out all movement before doing the fire phase seems to work well enough for an 8 year old. The guessing-game aspect of "basic" Starmada: The Admiralty Edition is a little much for him, yet.

Note that, my son got the spaceship minis for Christmas-- it took several months to get them all painted up and ready to go. (He liked the cover of Romulan Armada a lot. Now he wants to spin web as the NeoTholians.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Chung
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy- Played this 3 times with the gf, first time for both of us. We both like it as filler, and the iconography is not so bad after the first play.

Washington's War- Played with the gf. This was our second play and aborted after two turns due to frustrating misplays on her part and forgetting about certain rules. We have yet to play a full game

Yomi- A quick filler game with the gf while waiting for more players. A tense match between Valerie and DeGrey that came down to the final hit (something like 5 hp vs 6 hp).

Power Grid- Played with 3 other players, first time for 3 of us (including myself) with only 1 play by the last player. Winner was the one 'experienced' player who came out of nowhere and built 5 cities on the last turn. First impressions of the game were positive between all the new players. I like that the winner is always in doubt and the catch up mechanic makes the game tense the whole way through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.