Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I've recently built Ilya's fantastic redesign of this game and in the process created some German play aids (base game only and with English names for cards and regions). Seeing that Ilya supplies all the source files for translations, I've now started with a complete translation of his work.

I would be great if I could get feedback and suggestions from other German-speaking users on this forum, as I want to stay fairly true to the books, but only have the first issue of the first Dune book here (Heyne 1990, translation from 1978).

I've started out with a German version of the board, which you can see here:

I'll be happy for any corrections, suggestions on better translation and so on.

For now I've decided to stay with "Spice" instead of using the German "Gewürz". While the German book used "Gewürz" the German version of the movie used "Spice" and I think it's an accepted (and more flavorful) term even among German Dune readers. Anyone think otherwise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Staudt
Germany
Rutesheim
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uthoroc wrote:
I've recently built Ilya's fantastic redesign of this game and in the process created some German play aids (base game only and with English names for cards and regions). Seeing that Ilya supplies all the source files for translations, I've now started with a complete translation of his work.

I would be great if I could get feedback and suggestions from other German-speaking users on this forum, as I want to stay fairly true to the books, but only have the first issue of the first Dune book here (Heyne 1990, translation from 1978).

For now I've decided to stay with "Spice" instead of using the German "Gewürz". While the German book used "Gewürz" the German version of the movie used "Spice" and I think it's an accepted (and more flavorful) term even among German Dune readers. Anyone think otherwise?

Spice it is. I never call it Gewürz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ilya's rules are based on my text, which is readily available for translation.

ashman wrote:
Uthoroc wrote:

Spice it is. I never call it Gewürz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks! I was gonna thank you when I come to tackling the rules itself. Actually I've already started (just completed the storm round chapter) and will post it here when done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of translating Slev's rules and got a question. Round 3 has the following passage:

"A player to be Auctioneer is selected by common agreement, but this may NOT be the First Player."

Is there any particular reason the 1st player may not be the auctioneer? As far as I can see the auctioneer has only the technical role of dealing the cards and keeping track of the bids. How would this conflict with being the first bidder on the first card?

Also, another point concerning the translation:

In the existing German rules "Spice Blow" is translated as "Spice-Blüte". I'm not 100% happy with that translation, as it doesn't convey the eruptive nature of a spice blow. I've scoured the German version of the book, but I can't find a term for the phenomenon in there (not even in the scene where Liet-Kynes gets killed by one). Does anyone have pointer to a place in the book with a translation? Or another suggestion.

I've considered the following terms, but aren't fully happy with anyone:

- Spice-Ausbruch
- Spice-Eruption
- Spice-Blase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I can't think of any reason why that rule would exist; it's not in the original booklet. In our games we always put the Atreides in charge of both decks, as he gets to look at them. If the Atr is not in play, then just whomever we put the deck next to deals them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I'm getting on nicely with the translation, but stumbled over this bit in the combat round chapter:

"While it is poor form to not play an available Treachery Card to give you access to a bonus Leader when no other Leader disc is available to you, in the duplicity of the Dune game, no-one will know, so this is simply a matter of honour."

I find this really weird and unsuitable for a rulebook. Do you HAVE to play a cheap hero or not? If it is a true rule, can another player call you on it, who happens to know you have one? Putting "poor form" and "matters of honour" into a rulebook seems like an invitation to disaster to me.

E.g. what happens if the player plays a cheap hero in his next battle and it becomes clear that he had one in his hand? Is he declared a cheater and excluded from the game? Is the battle refought? Does he have to discard his cheap hero card?

I would find it much clearer and less prone to arguments, if playing a treachery card for a leader was simply optional, but this would be a house rule I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
In case any German-speakers are interested, here is the translation of the basic rules (no almanac, no advanced rules, yet):

Dune Grundregel - Deutsch

The formatting is kept deliberately basic, for later layouting in Ilya's style.

I'll be more than happy for any feedback, criticism and corrections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the Cheap hero(ine) card, yes in the rulebook it is stated that you MUST play a leader or that card if you can; you cannot choose not to play a leader.

Personally, I agree with you. I don't like the card being a forced play in this instance, and it makes a nice surprise when you pull it out on someone who thought their leader was going to be unopposed.

However, the rules also state that if you cannot play a leader, you must declare so. This sort of diminishes the surprise. Really, I believe the CH card is intended to be played while you still have leaders; for instance, to send out the cheap hero into certain death so you can prevent one of your better ones from being killed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the comments. I'll leave out that paragraph in my translation for the moment.

Another question came up (translating the advanced rules now):

The collection bonus for owning Tuek's Sietch is given in Slev's rules as 2 Spice. but Ilya's card (Smugglers) and the original German rules say it's only 1 Spice.

Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tueks gets 1 spice
Arrakeen and Carthag get 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is outstanding. What´s the best way to put it on a board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two versions at the moment:

I've printed the original map by Ilya on 6 A4 pages on my home inkjet and glued them to foamboard for this version:

For the German board, I used Posterjack to print a 65x60 cm version. This is not mounted in any way yet:

Here is the full-size German board:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great work! Have you finished a german version of the cards etc yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I was at GenCon for the last week and did not have any more time to work on my German version. The Almanach is close to being finished though. I'll post here when more is done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! I´m looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Joost
Germany
flag msg tools
Thx for the translation. Nice coincidence cause i found this game too in this summer. It happened, while i talked to a friend, why there is no tabletop game for this fantastic book and universe. He said to me there is a board game. So i found this one. Downloaded a legal version with all expansions and FAQ's and with the help of my local copyshop created all materials for this game. I'm very eager to play it. And i think my friends will like it too. I will add the translation to the game so people have the chance to read them in german too. Sometimes in germany english-only games can be a problem, if people are not fluent in english. So one hindrance less. For the beginning i think we will start only with the basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
Any updates on this? I was looking to translate it myself because my I can't do english-only games with my group, but than I found Uthorocs magnificent translation attempt. So far I see the map and the rules were translated. Is this still in the works (for cards and other components with text) or is the project abandoned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, but the project is indeed on indefinite hold at the moment. My collected translations are available here.

This includes rules and almanach, karama and treachery reference, as well as faction reference sheets (basic game only). There are no German cards available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Steitz
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,
I´m in the making of a German Version. Still at the Cards (doing them in Photoshop), but getting slowly to it (Traitor and Treachery remaining). With Your translation of the Rules and Almanach a great burden was taken from me. Thx a lot.

Regards
Holger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
That's some great news! I hope you share your efforts with us, who have german-language-games-only game groups!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Steitz
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I´ll share the translated Cards ASAP. They are "just" the translated versions of Illya´s Work. Maybe some finetuning must be done as i am not that familiar with this game. But hey, after all I think that they are good to play it. At least my Gamegroup Buddies who cant´t read english (wrong generation) will be able to play this game.

Regards
Holger

Edit: Waiting to get Illya´s OK for sharing his Files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Steitz
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the permission from Illya. As soon as I am back home I start uploading. Btw. What is the maximum (or recommended) Filesize? I would upload PSD Files and they are quite big. Even parting them and compressing, they can have a size upto an over 100 MB whistle. I can also make PDF Files. What would be best for the community? cool Alternatively I upload just the PDF Files and anybody who wants the PSD´s may get them via other methods.

Regards

Holger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
That's sounds just nice. Seems I have to start to gather my PnP-Stuff to keep me occupied through easter. I agree that you should just upload PDFs and provide the PSDs on request through other platforms.

Thanks again,
Shoox

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Steitz
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am done so far. Remaining the Bene Gesserit to make (Mailorder didnt show up in time) the Tokens. Also my Spice didnt come, so I rushed into a Shop for Glasbeads and Purchased some an hour after taking this shot. 2 Hours to go before my gaming Group will arrive.

We played 3 Matches from 3 PM to 2 AM. It was a blast. I think we made some errors but still enjoyed the game as it was Predicted....

I lost 2 Times to my Wife!!! blush First loss: Fremen (Wife) and Harkonnen against me (Atreides) and the Emperor. 2nd Loss: Atreides (Wife) and Emperor against me (Harkonnen)and the Fremen. But, the 3rd Match my Ally and I (Atreides and Guild) smashed brutally her Alliance (Harkonnen and Fremen) in the 13th Turn. My Wife was so upset after our win that I had to be very gentle to her. But inside myself I thought : The Spice must flow....

Regards
Holger
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.