Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, I have a few questions for Memoir '44 experts.
In a previous thread I asked what your most sought after un-published component would be among other suggestions, the machine gun bunker was my top pick.

So here's a question or two you all you Memoir '44 fans:

Any thoughts on ways to allow troops to be placed within the bunker? Not easy as they're kinda big.

I have some ideas but would like your input without me tainting your ideas.

I am thinking of designing multiple styles of bunker also. Would a double Hex size bunker be unreasonable? Too big?

Send your comments and ideas.

Thanks!
~Jeff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of the anamorphic telescoping scale of M'44, I suppose it would depend on the scenario. In some scenarios a hex = a couple hundred yards and in some, like Market Garden, a hex = several miles yet unit ranges remain constant. Would a two bunker represent 6 miles of fortified territory? Or would it be limited to certain scenarios? How would combat from bunker hex to contiguous bunker hex be handled? How do infantrymen feel when on some days they can shoot for miles and miles and on others they barely hit the the ocean from a bunker overlooking the beach? Or do they even think about it? Well the last two questions are facetious. I try not to think about it but sometimes I can't help myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You ought to just number/letter this 'Bunker'-piece underneath, where that isn't so readily seen, and then have a CHART corresponding for those to place pieces upon to indicate such being "within". It'll even provide some form of "fog of war" aspect, so that nothing is immediately revealed UNTIL it were "engaged"/"scouted".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to suggest having the bunker be only a flat wall with a firing slit (i.e., open top and open back. That way the owner can easily see what's inside the bunker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
You ought to just number/letter this 'Bunker'-piece underneath, where that isn't so readily seen, and then have a CHART corresponding for those to place pieces upon to indicate such being "within". It'll even provide some form of "fog of war" aspect, so that nothing is immediately revealed UNTIL it were "engaged"/"scouted".

I like the idea of a "fog of war" aspect but I want to avoid creating custom rules or something which become tedious to manage. For the FOW to work, you would need to hide the pieces which are sitting on the "chart" so that your opponent wouldn't be able to see it. Adds another level of complexity. What do you folks think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
I was going to suggest having the bunker be only a flat wall with a firing slit (i.e., open top and open back. That way the owner can easily see what's inside the bunker.

I've also thought of this. It would be much more practical but of course it wouldn't look as cool. Maybe I make a pair of matching bunkers, when it becomes occupied you swap it out with the open bunker. Hmmm, this also seems a bit tedious to me.

Another option might be to have a removable top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scribidinus wrote:
Because of the anamorphic telescoping scale of M'44... ...How would combat from bunker hex to contiguous bunker hex be handled?...

Well, I'd suggest that player would have to just agree on their own house rules when in those situations. My rule of thumb has always been, simpler is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffTimothy wrote:
Maybe I make a pair of matching bunkers, when it becomes occupied you swap it out with the open bunker. Hmmm, this also seems a bit tedious to me.

Another option might be to have a removable top.

Maybe just have the wall/firing slit plus part of the top to give the suggestion of an enclosed space, without actually having to open up a top and put the figures in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
JeffTimothy wrote:
I like the idea of a "fog of war" aspect but I want to avoid creating custom rules or something which become tedious to manage. For the FOW to work, you would need to hide the pieces which are sitting on the "chart" so that your opponent wouldn't be able to see it. Adds another level of complexity. What do you folks think?
You could lay a CHART within an appropriately-size 'box-top' and cover it with something else to conceal their contents. Now, somebody MORE 'imaginative'-(yeah right) then could produce a TRAY with separate compartments that you could then LIFT the 'lid' to extract its components within, and without revealing any others in this manner.
whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:

You could lay a CHART within an appropriately-size 'box-top' and cover it with something else to conceal their contents.

Or you could just put all the pieces in a box somewhere else and write the unit names on bits of thick paper or index cards with the bunker numbers on the other sides. Leave them on the side of the table number-side-up, and simply flip over when the bunker is 'explored' or emptied (or whatever) to discover which units to pick out of the box and place on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.