Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably my weak mind, but the language of the retreat rules confuses me, the following from section 7.32:

"the units involved [in retreat] must move to hexes that are not occupied by enemy units or adjacent to the enemy-occupied hex from which
they are retreating.
" (my bold underline).

Does that mean that they cannot retreat into hexes adjacent to units that attacked them, so that an outflanked unit must lose steps and can't retreat? If not, I can't quite figure out what it would mean.

Also in the same section:

"A unit that cannot retreat the full distance indicated for any reason (impassable terrain, stacking limits, enemy units)takes a step loss instead."

What if a stack of units gets a retreat result? I assume that means they all have to retreat, so does each unit in the stack take a step loss or just one step loss for the stack.

And finally regarding advances (and retreats): do ALL units involved on the attacking side get to advance? Sounds like it, and sounds like a lengthy advance by a lot of attackers can amount to a post-combat redeployment.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct: you can't retreat into a hex adjacent to a hex occupied by a unit that just attacked you. Take step-loss instead--all units in the stack that can't make the move. For example, HQs have to stay on roads, so if a Division can retreat into a forest hex, it would be fine, but the HQ would take a step-loss, i.e., be eliminated. Outflanked units that have to retreat take a step loss.

Here's the rule: "... the units involved must move to hexes that are not occupied by enemy units or adjacent to the enemy-occupied hex from which they are retreating; and they must retreat to a hex in which they could move in the course of tactical movement (though retreats are conducted in number of hexes, not Movement Factors). A unit that cannot retreat the full distance indicated for any reason (impassable terrain, stacking limits, enemy units) takes a step loss instead. If the unit is supposed to retreat two hexes but can only retreat one hex, it retreats the one hex and takes a step loss."

All retreating units don't have to retreat into the same hex.

Advances are optional.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. So in some sense ZOCs 'turn on' during the retreat process in the sense that they define the hexes a unit or stack cannot enter during retreats.

Also, outflanking and surrounding get a lot more important, as do organizing the units activated for each chit to allow for the most tactically flexible attacks.

And, I can see how Exploit can devastate: punch a hole in a line in the first attack, send in fast units in Exploit to get behind and attack outflanked units in the Exploit segment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Lewis
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

A unit can move into a hex adjacent to an enemy unit that was not involved in the attack.

There may be an FAQ/errata about being able to move into a hex occupied by a friendly unit even if adjacent to the attacking unit; i.e., retreating into a screening unit.

And yes, a properly executed Exploit can be devastating.

-Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Gimenez
Spain
Vigo
Pontevedra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, but... What happen if a unit is attacked by two (or three) enemy units from different hexes and it canĀ“t retreat without pass along a adjacent hexs... It must retreat always and loss a step? or it must loss a step and no retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.