Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Thinking of buying, some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob dole
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I'm looking into getting into an LCG, how does this compare to others? Mainly:
How does this handle with 2 players?
How long does a typical game take?
How important is the setting to the game?
As a whole what does the game do really well?
What are the game's weak points?
Is there any convenient way I can see how much/if at all this game is played in the Washington DC area?



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It plays great 2-4 player IMO. 5 and 6 player can bog down alittle though and lead to extremely long games.

Typical experienced 2 player from 30 to 60 minutes, generally add 15 minutes per player from there. New player games usually take much much longer.

It doesn't follow the books if that is what you mean. It does have strong theme and elements in the game actively try to recreate some of the strengths of each house in the books.

It plays very smoothly once you get the hang of it and in multiplayer it definitely has the backstabbing alliances and cutthroat deal making that is present in the books

Inconsistant card templating is my biggest complaint. Especally for new players. Cards which do very similar actions can have wording which is slightly different. This can cause confusion as to why until you just get used to it.

You can check on the official FFG meta forum. There is a pretty strong DC meta I think. Also you can check the member map at CardGameDB and contact anyone in the area.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
noticed you posted on warhammer invasion and this thread.

So I think it would be best to compare the 2 together, maybe you also posted elsewhere but i am subscribed to those 2...

either way,

Warhammer Invasion is the more elegant of the 2 in design. Eric M Lang helped design both and you definitely see where he learned to make Warhammer Invasion, again for a lack of better words, elegant.

Now I prefer AGOT LCG due to the fact it has a fantastic 3+ game, 2 players can be good but the problem is you need to have a deck that is for jousting (2 player) versus melee (3+). You can get totally wooped if you aren't designed for one or the other.

I also noticed a difference between the 2 is that GOT has lots of cancellation/kill all your character kind of cards (Lannisters pay their debts, Valour Morgulus or whatever its called (kills all chars in play) Wildfire Assault, Lethal Counter Attack etc etc)

While Warhammer invasioin seems to be a bit more about how you lay out your cards.

I like both games fair enough, though i have an easier time wiht my game group playing AGOT cause they are into the theme, like the more strategic elements of it.


But be warned, I find especially when playing AGOT there will be moments when you think you got it all figured out then your opponent will play 1 card that can totally trump everything you have in play, ruin your strat and you suddenly feel very behind! Warhammer invasion iws a touch more forgiving that way.


I could go on and I apologize about the lack of formatting and structure in this response but frankly i am lazy, feel free to msg me if you would like more info on the 2 games. I love both

Edit: I am a big Closet Darksbane fan and appreciate everything from his well written posts concerning LCGs and his awesome website.

Darksbane for president.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Roy
United States
Montclair
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
be careful about purchasing without an already committed opponent. I have been struggling for over a year to get anyone to play this, and I live in the greater NYC metro area - 12 miles from Manhattan. it looks like a great game, but I may never know.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sekela
United States
Camp Lejeune
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BarryRoy wrote:
be careful about purchasing without an already committed opponent. I have been struggling for over a year to get anyone to play this, and I live in the greater NYC metro area - 12 miles from Manhattan. it looks like a great game, but I may never know.


Have you looked at the cardgamedb.com member map or the FFG's forums? Seems to me like I've seen many regular players in your area.

(sorry for hijacking thread blush )
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to the LCG and I hope my experience can help you.

1. It's fine for two players. I think it's easier to learn that way, actually. However, the decks are balanced for 4 players right out of the core set box, so you may want to be tweak them or choose 2 houses that suit each other lest one just crush the other.

2. Learning curve is high. You have to not only read text on each card you draw, but also on your opponents cards in play, then make decisions based on that information, then reference the rulebook or FAQ, then actually try to grind ahead with the game. The first gameplay experience isn't that great. However, the system isn't hard; there's just a lot of unique cards. If you play multiple games in a row with the same deck, you'll see the gametime drop to the 30-60 min range. A new player 4er could take 2 hours or more, easy.

3. Theme is dripping from every card. I wouldn't say it's necessary to be a Game of Thrones book/show fan to enjoy the game, but it sure makes it more fun. There's not plot spoilers per se and the game doesn't follow a narrative, but the card abilities do tend to match the characteristics of each character and it's just plain fun to play as Stark and get those nasty Lannisters. You may find yourself interested in the source material if you play the game.

4. The expandability is unlimited, but my group is having fun with the core set. We just expanded to the Greyjoy expansion and two chapter packs are on the way. I'd say the Core should entertain new players for quite some time before you 'need' to invest more. You may choose to never; you may find you like it and get every expansion yet printed.

5. I'd agree with those who have said find your opponents before you play. The learning curve will turn off anyone lukewarm on the idea. It's WAY worse than Race for the Galaxy, which is pretty renowned for its newb unfriendliness.

6. I LOVE this game. LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'd say get it; it beats any CCG out there. 2 player is good, but the 3-4 player experience is GREAT!

7. Check out the cardgamedb.com site to see the art, spoilers, deckbuilding ideas, and meta game in your area. I wish BGG had more content for this game, but there are several other sites out there that fit the bill. Cardgamedb.com just happens to be one I frequent.

8. If you're ever in Oklahoma, I'll give you a match!

EDIT: I realized I didn't address some key issues. I love the card interactions, direct conflict, and surprise actions that come with games of this type. Game of Thrones is one of the more "bloody" ones, in that there's a lot of character removal and "take that" kind of stuff going on. That's fun in 2er for sure; the table talk element in 3-4 helps balance some of this out. There's no catchup in 2er, though there are a few "reset" cards that discard all characters and start over (though VPs remain). Disappointing me is the learning curve and unwieldy wording on some cards. It's fairly rulesy, but you can usually make it through. Also, the core set plot decks aren't really balanced (especially for joust; this does become better with experience) and there's not enough character save cards to suit my taste. Other than that, I'd say it's great.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer GoT with 2 players rather then more. I play with people all familar with MTG so learning the game was fine but those of us that hated free for alls in MTG found them as bad in not worse in GoT. That said a few people seemed to think it could be ok with 3.

Typical 2 player game takes 30 - 60 minutes as stated. More players can add much more than 15 minutes per person though. The way the game works and the amount of information on each card can lead to some long games with 4 or more players, I have not tried 3.

The setting is going to appeal to fans of GoT far more than those that are not. As a card game it is solidly built but at the same time it was built with fans in mind and more often than not those are going to be the people that really get into the game.

As a long time card game player I would same the game does a lot of things well to the point of being a well designed game based on GoT. I'm not sure the game really brings anything ground breaking into the genre or does anything much better than any other card game out there.

An upside is that the game doesn't really do anything badly. As I said if you didn't enjoy FFA in games like MTG, GoT doesn't really solve that. But really the game is solid, and 2 player is fun. I guess the only drawback I could see is the theme. If you are not a fan you may not get into the game as many cards are unique characters, locations, and events from the books that people not familar with could see as dull. Captian X, or the Hall of X, or the battle of X can be fun to see for fans of the books, for those that are not however they are just going to be names of random joe shmoes and places/events that hold no meaning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
buzhannon wrote:
3. Theme is dripping from every card. I wouldn't say it's necessary to be a Game of Thrones book/show fan to enjoy the game, but it sure makes it more fun.
I'll just highlight this part, because knowing the characters will help you understand the mechanics of the game better. Robert's Bastard has stealth because in the books the various bastards of Baratheon are often in hiding. Ser Ilyn Payne is capable of instant kills because in the books... Ser Ilyn Payne is capable of instant kills. Rodrik Cassel gets buffed on defense because in the books Rodrik Cassel as castellan is tasked with defending Winterfell.

I count this book-game interaction as a plus for AGoT LCG compared to Cthulhu LCG (or even W:I) where sometimes you look at a card and kinda strain to see how the ability truly corresponds to the character.



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Well the core set being geared towards 4 players is a problem. Given the decks in the core set can I build decks that are better for two players or is that something that can't really be done?

I've never needed to find other players so I wasn't sure how to find people for that. And speaking of the meta, do I need to buy every chapter pack ot be competitive or can I narrow it down?

And right now I do have someone else who is interested but they haven'tread the books yet, which is why I asked.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There's lots of neutral cards and the plot decks can be easily tweaked to allow a better 2 p experience. A lot of strategy in 2p really depends on what your opponent can do since you are the only one that can stop them. For example, house Baratheon likes to rush to victory. To stop them, you need to be able to kill key characters of theirs. That's easy if you're Stark, not as much with Lannister. But, give Lannister the Valar Morgulis plot card and they're set. (this example is oversimplified for sure, but just gives an idea.) There's lots of sample decks floating around the Internet for these tweaks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Also, how essential is it buy a second core box if two people are going to focus on different houses? Are the one copies in the core set essential cards in any deck or can I get by without?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GS
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthbalmung wrote:
Also, how essential is it buy a second core box if two people are going to focus on different houses? Are the one copies in the core set essential cards in any deck or can I get by without?


So, by focus are you saying that one person is going to select two houses they like, and the other person will play the other two?

While the core set may be geared towards melee, it can still play fine as joust with some reservations. Some houses won't play well against each other. For example, everytime I ran Lannister against Stark, the former's intrigue, gold, and control advantage just plowed through the northmen's combat prowess. Lannister vs. Baratheon proved to be a much more balanced jousting experience. But, it is a card game, which means luck is involved and can lead to blowouts in any pairing.

Buying a second core set is the first step towards allowing yourself some freedom for deckbuilding. The set has a lot of staples, such as plot cards and locations, which are necessary for any deck and its also good to have multiples of some of the unique cards that are important to deck strategy. BGG user Darksbane created decklists for each house based on owning two core sets. I played with these decks for awhile and found them quite balanced.

If your friend agreed to split all purchases with you, then you can always split up the house cards to whomever is focusing on the particular houses. There might be issues in deciding who gets the neutral cards, however. Also, if you start buying chapter packs, they will include cards for the Greyjoy and Martell houses, which do not come with a deck the core set.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bare minimum you are going to want 2 core sets. Having 60 card decks alongside duplicates of the plot cards will go a long way to increasing the play experience regardless of how many players youa re going to have. After that what you buy is really up to you. I bought the Greyjoy expansion but none of the chapter packs or anything else and it has worked out fine for me as a whole game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
sojo2600 wrote:
darthbalmung wrote:
Also, how essential is it buy a second core box if two people are going to focus on different houses? Are the one copies in the core set essential cards in any deck or can I get by without?


So, by focus are you saying that one person is going to select two houses they like, and the other person will play the other two?



In a nutshell, yes. However it sounds like the two core sets is rather integral to being able to make a deck. Which is annoying; on the other hand I can rely on proxies while I see how I like the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthbalmung wrote:
sojo2600 wrote:
darthbalmung wrote:
Also, how essential is it buy a second core box if two people are going to focus on different houses? Are the one copies in the core set essential cards in any deck or can I get by without?


So, by focus are you saying that one person is going to select two houses they like, and the other person will play the other two?



In a nutshell, yes. However it sounds like the two core sets is rather integral to being able to make a deck. Which is annoying; on the other hand I can rely on proxies while I see how I like the game.


The DC Meta is alive and growing. We meet about once a month, sometimes more either at Labyrinth at the Eastern Market metro stop or Foggy Bottom on the GW campus. Sometimes at UMD in College Park. Msg me to get more info.

Overall we are pretty n00b friendly, but competitively-focused. We have a lot of new players right now, and some older experienced players from the CCG era.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
buzhannon wrote:
3. Theme is dripping from every card. I wouldn't say it's necessary to be a Game of Thrones book/show fan to enjoy the game, but it sure makes it more fun.
I'll just highlight this part, because knowing the characters will help you understand the mechanics of the game better. Robert's Bastard has stealth because in the books the various bastards of Baratheon are often in hiding. Ser Ilyn Payne is capable of instant kills because in the books... Ser Ilyn Payne is capable of instant kills. Rodrik Cassel gets buffed on defense because in the books Rodrik Cassel as castellan is tasked with defending Winterfell.

I count this book-game interaction as a plus for AGoT LCG compared to Cthulhu LCG (or even W:I) where sometimes you look at a card and kinda strain to see how the ability truly corresponds to the character.





How does the game handle character development? This is an ongoing issue, since the series is still being rolled out... do they issue 'updated' versions of character cards...?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas wrote:

How does the game handle character development? This is an ongoing issue, since the series is still being rolled out... do they issue 'updated' versions of character cards...?


The game has multiple versions of many of the unique characters. Each version is different, with different special abilities, and can be seen as reflecting that character at a given point in the books.

To avoid "spoilers", I'll imagine a character that starts out as physically strong but naive and easily manipulated member of House X, then becomes more experienced, then becomes crippled, then becomes a master schemer, then becomes a lord, then is disgraced and renounces their house affiliation and becomes a holy man, and finally ends up joining the Night's Watch.

This character may end up with several character cards, with each card "capturing" the character at a different point in their development.

A player could then decide which of these cards best suits their deck - either thematically or functionally - and include that particular version of the character.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
joedogboy wrote:
Philip Thomas wrote:

How does the game handle character development? This is an ongoing issue, since the series is still being rolled out... do they issue 'updated' versions of character cards...?


The game has multiple versions of many of the unique characters. Each version is different, with different special abilities, and can be seen as reflecting that character at a given point in the books.

To avoid "spoilers", I'll imagine a character that starts out as physically strong but naive and easily manipulated member of House X, then becomes more experienced, then becomes crippled, then becomes a master schemer, then becomes a lord, then is disgraced and renounces their house affiliation and becomes a holy man, and finally ends up joining the Night's Watch.

This character may end up with several character cards, with each card "capturing" the character at a different point in their development.

A player could then decide which of these cards best suits their deck - either thematically or functionally - and include that particular version of the character.


Interesting. I'm glad this isn't a CCG (Oh no, my booster is entirely composed of Daenerys!) meeple
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well generally you only get one version of a character per year or so, sometimes less. Using Daenerys as an example it took 3 years to get a 2nd and 3rd version of her after her initial version in the core set. Even in the CCG era you wouldn't find multiple versions of the same unique character in the same set.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.