21 Posts

Call of Cthulhu: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Thinking of buying some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
I know there's another thread just like this, but I'm looking at different things so I thought another thread was justified.
Questions: :
How long does a typical game take?
How important is the setting to the game?
As a whole what does the game do really well?
What are the game's weak points?
Is there any convenient way I can see how much/if at all this game is played in the Washington DC area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
darthbalmung wrote:
I know there's another thread just like this, but I'm looking at different things so I thought another thread was justified.

Variable, from a little under one hour with an exponential tail leading out to two or three hours. Inexperienced players take a bit longer trying to grok the system, and it's a bit overwhelming to see the main gist of it at first.

darthbalmung wrote:

How important is the setting to the game?

It's Cthulhu. If you're not having weird nocturnal desires to purchase the game, you've probably covered the top of your door with lamb's blood.

darthbalmung wrote:

As a whole what does the game do really well?

I enjoyed the thematic aspect of the game and how it reflects through the mechanics. It is odd when two mythos fight each other, as most horror novels are usually humans vs. the creepies.

darthbalmung wrote:

What are the game's weak points?

The core game doesn't have enough for a mono-faction deck. Once you buy enough expansion packs for a mono-faction deck, it's very unbalanced. Then if you want to casually play, you have to build decks for others to choose from when playing. Or you can go the competitive route with others who have probably have become obsessed and are sacrificing to the outer gods for the right deck balance.
[/q]

darthbalmung wrote:

Is there any convenient way I can see how much/if at all this game is played in the Washington DC area?

It's D.C.? Have you seen what they have contained inside the pentagon? Why do you think it's a pentagon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
CyberGarp wrote:
darthbalmung wrote:
Variable, from a little under one hour with an exponential tail leading out to two or three hours.
holy jeez, i hope my CoC games never take 3 hours! i was actually going to opine that CoC games probably takes less time than Game Of Thrones or Warhammer Invasion. (In my purely anecdotal experience.) Unless the mathy quality induces the dreaded "analysis paralysis" amongst your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to get a timer for turns. Overanalysis, the game sits on the table for days sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your responses guys, someone mentioned that it can get unbalanced, could someone expand on that please?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
The Cthulhu player, not the Football player.
mbmbmbmbmb
darthbalmung wrote:
Thanks for your responses guys, someone mentioned that it can get unbalanced, could someone expand on that please?

Well the poster who mentioned that specifically cited building mono-faction decks. If you are going to do that, some factions will just get crushed by others. But that's just the way it goes, the game wasn't really designed that way, you know?

I do recommend building mono-faction decks in order to get a good idea of the "feel" for a particular faction, but after that mono-faction decks usually have too many weaknesses to be really effective. Build two-faction ones instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob dole
msg tools
mbmbmb
radynski wrote:
darthbalmung wrote:

Well the poster who mentioned that specifically cited building mono-faction decks. If you are going to do that, some factions will just get crushed by others. But that's just the way it goes, the game wasn't really designed that way, you know?

I do recommend building mono-faction decks in order to get a good idea of the "feel" for a particular faction, but after that mono-faction decks usually have too many weaknesses to be really effective. Build two-faction ones instead.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the responses everyone but I think I'm going to pass on this; if analysis paralysis is that common an issue then this would not be the most pleasant experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
30 minutes seems like an accurate estimate to me. Longer if you're brand new, shorter if you're a pro. If a player is prone to staring at his cards for 5 minutes each turn that's a problem with the player, not the game. Yeah, I don't see how you can jump from "a few people have an issue" to "this game makes everyone go into a coma". If most players are finishing an entire game in 30 minutes then clearly any inherent paralysis must be pretty small, right?

I have heard of *some* (but not all) new players stalling a bit because they're afraid to send characters to die so both of them just waffle around and the game lasts a long time. This is Cthulhu. Guys die, guys go insane. Guys go insane, then die, then come back as things that make OTHER guys go insane and die. It happens, get over it. As long as you're making some progress on the stories it was worth losing some expendable character.

The theme is definitely a strong point I think. The way stories work, the cards and artwork, it all seems pretty well done and evocative of the mythos. Better than most card games anyway.

You'll want more cards. This is actually because the game is good and you want to try more deck building, but as far as your wallet is concerned it's sort of a negative. I think that Core + Secrets of Arkham is a good compromise.

It's true that not every faction is well suited to play a *competitive* mono-faction deck with. Some can, Cthulhu seems good at it for instance. But the default is usually to play dual-faction decks. Mono faction is possible, and I've heard of some triple-faction decks, but there's usually two. If you love just one faction that may be a negative. On the other hand, there are just 8 single factions while there are 56 different two-faction combinations. Much richer game in my opinion.

It comes down to what sort of game you're looking for and whether you like the Cthulhu theme. Me, I'm mainly into minis wargames. I like building armies and theorizing about tactics for them. But, I hate CCGs because I don't want to waste money chasing Rare cards and then get beaten not because my play was bad - but because someone else spent a lot more money than I did. So for my needs, the LCG format is great. I can get into deck design and playing an interesting game where what happens changes a lot from game to game, but without the high and random cost. I can budget for the packs I want and that's it. I also love the Cthulhu mythos, so that's another big plus for me.

If you mostly like non-confrontational and lightweight card games, then you might not like it. You're directly fighting each other, and you WILL be presented at times with puzzles to solve in terms of your opponent having a tricky combination of cards in play. If figuring out how to use your tools to unravel their puzzle sounds fun to you, then pick up a copy. If that sounds like too much work, skip it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a point of information, I have the longer games, but my partner is a professor who likes to analyze. I am tolerant, because I like having a partner. I would agree, that if you're into the game, it's probably a 30-45 minute venture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel Primus
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
On the other hand, there are just 8 single factions while there are 56 different two-faction combinations. Much richer game in my opinion.

There are actually only 28 different two-faction combinations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veratul wrote:
dboeren wrote:
On the other hand, there are just 8 single factions while there are 56 different two-faction combinations. Much richer game in my opinion.

There are actually only 28 different two-faction combinations.

Well when it was a 7-faction game, 28 was correct. However, now that Silver Twilight has become part of the game, there are 8 additional combinations for a total of 36.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, sorry for the bad math. I was thinking 8 primary factions * 7 secondary factions = 56.

Now I have to write on the blackboard 50 times:
"Permutations are not equivalent to combinations"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
Longest game I ever played was 90 minutes and that was because it was a highlander stall deck the opponent couldn't quite get around my blocking advantage.
That mirrors my experience. If a game takes longer than 1 hour, chances are, one player plays a Cthulhu deck.
E.g. 'The Ravager from the Deep' is a card that can stop a game in its tracks if the opposing player doesn't have the means to deal with it (which shouldn't happen with a decent deck).

I've also seen games involving a Yog-Sothoth milling deck take that long.

It's most likely to happen in Highlander, and more likely if a limited card pool is available.

But the vast majority of games is over after about 30 minutes (up to 45 minutes with inexperienced players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom zieveraar
Belgium
flag msg tools
I've recently got the core set of Cthulhu and in my experience, a game has varied between 15 to about 90 minutes of play. Ofcourse, the core set is quite limited and requires 3 or even 4 faction decks to play, otherwise the decks are just too small.

It's an intriguing game, definitely well worth the purchase, although the core set itself does feel very limited (definitely storywise, every game's about the same really) which ofcourse is logical, they have to promote further releases.

As for my immediate impressions, I do prefer Game of Thrones. The basic mechanisms are quite similar, but I suppose I'm more of a fantasy than horror fan. CoC is usually less confusing though, a game of GoT can have way too many cards on the table.

Still, CoC has a great theme feel to it, a very nice playing mechanism and a good repetitive nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kriss kriss
msg tools
mb
Unfortunatly, FFG has completly failed about Coc startbox contain.
With GoT , you have 4 decks to play and with Coc, you have no chance to buid 2 interesting decks cry
So you need at least 1 other start box + 1 extension pack or maybe 2 extensions packs.
If you want to know if this game suit you, you must invest more than Got : it's a pity.

But if you have more cards you will play fantastic games with strategy, tricks and fun

You can play online too, take a look on Lackey thread ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krisss666 wrote:
With GoT , you have 4 decks to play and with Coc, you have no chance to buid 2 interesting decks cry

I disagree. Yes, Game of thrones does a better job of giving you playable decks, and more of them. But the core set gives you enough to make two playable decks in a large variety of faction combinations.

When I got the core set for playtesting, we went with the two base decks, Agency/MU vs. Cthulhu/Shub and then split up the neutral cards like the instructions told us (7 into each deck). That gave us 47 cards, which isn't quite the legal 50, but that doesn't matter at all if both players have the same number of cards in their deck.

We played 23 games that way, with those exact two decks, before we even considered switching the faction combinations. And those were some great, intense games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kriss kriss
msg tools
mb
Maybe i'm wrong , but in coreset you don't have enought cthulhu card to build a solid bi-faction for exemple

Do you really think decks you built from coreset reflected game potentiel ?

Maybe I wanted to built too complex decks, but i wasn't satisfied with this only coreset.
As you said : "Game of thrones does a better job of giving you playable decks."
That's i talk about

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Fly Eagles Fly!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krisss666 wrote:
Maybe i'm wrong , but in coreset you don't have enought cthulhu card to build a solid bi-faction for exemple

Sure you do. 20 Cthulhu cards + 20 Shub cards + 7 Neutral is 47 cards.

krisss666 wrote:
Do you really think decks you built from coreset reflected game potentiel ?

Well not perfectly, but it gives you a good introduction. I would say that it does just as well at reflecting game potential as Game of Thrones core set does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.