Subject: [US] Borders liquidation -- May start as early as 7/22 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Tucker
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sad to see, but it looks like Borders couldn't find a buyer and is going to close all stores:
http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/borders-liquidation-...

From the article:
Quote:
The Ann Arbor-based chain’s 399 remaining stores will be closed quickly, with liquidation sales starting as soon as Friday — although the company said in a court filing late today that 30 leases could still be sold off.

Borders will be sold to a team of liquidators led by Hilco Merchant Resources LLC and Gordon Brothers Retail Partners LLC. The liquidators are expected to launch going-out-of-business sales as soon as Friday with the "wind-down" complete by September, a spokeswoman said.

Likely some deals to be had along the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Imes
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
These always start out with prices going up. Beware. Bring your internet-connected phone and be sure and search Amazon / Coolstuffinc for a title before you purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
andersonimes wrote:
These always start out with prices going up. Beware.

Especially with Borders who have pretty inflated prices to begin with. (I am looking at you CDs and DVDs among a few other books) It's no small wonder that they are closing when they refuse to be competitive.

There's a LOT of overhead running a (literal) brick & mortar store. It's surprising they've held on as long as they have. The economy, the decreasing number of readers, and the fact that E-readers have finally caught on are the death knell for book retailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
E-readers have caught on? Don't think I've met anybody who owns one yet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
It's My T.A.R.D.I.S.
badge
Galifreyan is hard to read
mbmbmbmbmb
On University campuses they are popular these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

I've got one and I love it. I likely won't ever buy a book (to read) again and I've always been very much into collecting them but the ereaders are just way too convenient.
As far as games go ar Borders, in the first wave of store closings the games were hardly discounted for a long time and I never saw much that seemed like a great deal since eveything is based on MSRP. Still, I'm sure there will be some deals to be had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Love my Kindle, know many others who do too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

Yeah, I wonder about this too. Sure, there are many who like them, but I don't see actual books going out of style any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:

Yeah, I wonder about this too. Sure, there are many who like them, but I don't see actual books going out of style any time soon.

I'm not so sure. Sure, there will always be books around but as far as them going out of style, I think Borders closing up is the first real evidence of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davex wrote:
Trump wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:

I'm not so sure. Sure, there will always be books around but as far as them going out of style, I think Borders closing up is the first real evidence of it.

Books are no better than newspapers. Wasteful and bulky. I like the feel of a book in my hands but that will soon be the domain of only a few geeks, not the general public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anderson
United States
Midlothian
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Count me among those who will very rarely (if ever) purchase an actual book (to read) in the future. The Kindle is just way too convenient for reading. I've even purchased a few eBooks that I already have in hardcopy just because I'd much rather read it on the Kindle than have to actually use two hands to read!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

I see them daily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Drake
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:

I doubt printed books will ever go out of style... especially reference books as they are more suitable for learning. But the kindle is one of the greatest inventions ever for people who read a lot. Really won't surprise me electronic books dominate the market in a few decades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BaBang wrote:
Trump wrote:

I doubt printed books will ever go out of style... especially reference books as they are more suitable for learning.

This to me is one of the greatest arguments for an e-reader (since I am expected to own my own references). You can have access to a reference work without having to lug the giant thing around or go to a reference library (or home or your office). Talk about making life easier for the studious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
skotkolr wrote:
On University campuses they are popular these days.

It's hard to hop on a subway nowadays without seeing at least 10 e-readers/car, and that's not counting those who use their phone for that purpose (myself included). They're definitely in the mainstream by now. I'll always enjoy a good ol' fashioned paper back, but you can't beat the convenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well sure, but that's no reason to sell products above MSRP. That's not going to draw customers. It will do the exact opposite and it did.

Odd. With their coupons I found them to be frequently below retail prices. With their coupons they certain beat B&N's prices! This was especially true on board games (when the coupons worked for them) and DVDs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

Get on a commuter train in NY and you'll find 80% of the riders with one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ridgway
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
How much for the little game in the window?
badge
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:

Close to the same for the DC Metro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Trump wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:

you might disagree when you try one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:

Ah, so for the 3 or 4 cities in the US where public transport is popular they have caught on - for the rest of us maybe not so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the original post:

I know someone who picked up Ingenious for $10 without a coupon at Border's a few weeks before it closed. Very good deal. On the other hand, I was at another Borders that was closing and having the "blowout" sale and the only board games they had were related to the Twilight series. One of the employees said they had sold the bulk of the games to liquidators that would resell them online or at their stores.

Continuing on with the ebook tangent:

I read somewhere that ebooks started outselling hardbacks about a year ago and have recently started outselling paperbacks. There's a lot of number manipulation in some of these reports as they may not include sales from huge retailers such as Wal-Mart, Costco, and such, but the point is ebooks are taking ground and not looking back. You can Google ebook versus hardback and paperback sales and find a few articles discussing the topic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin in Kansas wrote:
I read somewhere that ebooks started outselling hardbacks about a year ago and have recently started outselling paperbacks. There's a lot of number manipulation in some of these reports as they may not include sales from huge retailers such as Wal-Mart, Costco, and such, but the point is ebooks are taking ground and not looking back. You can Google ebook versus hardback and paperback sales and find a few articles discussing the topic.

Yeah, as I recall those numbers don't include big-box stores.
And although I know there's no real way to track it, it also doesn't take the used book market into account. If I have a choice between going to borders and paying $8 for a paperback or picking it up used for $0.50 (or free through a book trading club), I'm going the used route, as do a ton of other people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
Shadoglare wrote:

Ah, so for the 3 or 4 cities in the US where public transport is popular they have caught on - for the rest of us maybe not so much

This is the common gift choice for people I know lately - my mom and my mother in law have one now, as do several close friends. Amazon recently reported selling more e-books than paper books in a quarter... and I'm not in a major city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
To get back on topic, anyone know how this will affect standing preorders? Will they fulfill them, or simply default on the orders?

I have a game pending preorder. I think it's already been charged, but I'll double check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Medina
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Property of LunaClara
badge
Board games rule my life, and my wife's. That is a good thing, believe it or not ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of sad to see them go. I do read mostly online (I don't have an eReader yet), but I do appreciate the feel of a real paper book. Old habits die hard.

I did buy several games at their stores and online, Dungeons & Dragons: Conquest of Nerath Board Game being the last one I ordered through them. With the discount card and their constant coupons the prices were competitive with those of other online game stores.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.