Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Continuing the Wingman program sponsored by Eagle/Gryphon Games, I had the opportunity to run a tournament of Roll Through the Ages for 12 gamers at Borders in Arlington, TX on July 14th.

To keep the most players involved at any given time, I decided to run three separate games to weed out the top players from everyone else. The first table consisted of Michelle, Duff, Jason and Rob. Three new players and one experienced player. The next table had Michael, Nora, Jimmy, and Don. Three new players and one experienced player. The third table consisted of Jax, Rod, Jason and myself. Four experienced players.

In order to keep as many of those players involved I took the top two players from each table rather than take the top player. It also allowed the players to be in different combinations. Jason and Rob from table 1 advanced. Jimmy and Nora at table 2 advanced. Jax and myself advanced from table 3. The next groupings were Jason, Jimmy and myself and Nora, Jax and Rob. We played two separate games.

The top two in each group again advanced with Rob, Jason, Jax and myself meeting at the final table. Each player took on a different strategy: Jason tried to build monuments quickly, Rob adopted a starvation strategy to put more people and goods on his dice, Jax developed a balanced strategy, and I tried to collect as many cities as I could at the beginning. The lead fluctuated between Jax, Rob and myself. As the game ground on and Rob continued to starve his cities he incurred more penalties that he could manage. Jax and I battled head to head bombarding the table with pestilences and developing civilizations as quickly as we could. Jax pulled out the overall win by 5 points. All of the players agreed it was a great contest and several of the players remarked that they would have kept playing even though they were out of the tournament.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.