Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a brief session report of the third time I have played the Clash on the Kingsroad scenario. All of them solo (I can do that because I have a small brain that allows me to "forget" what I've just planned as the other player!... another word for it is probably madness or cretinism!). Also my two boys, 16 and 19, are more into girls than boardgames.. don't know whether to be delighted or devastated! Lol!

So having lost twice with the Lannisters in this scenario, I decided I would try again with them, and give them a very slight advantage... they could re-roll one set of dice at any point in the game, but once only.

I decided that the best tactics would be to storm across the river at the Southern fords with the Lannister Guards, using Kevan's +2 attack ability and trying to keep in stalwart formation.. Meanwhile the cavalry would belt hell for leather to try to cross the other more Northerly ford crossings.. using the cavalry's speed and Addam's special terrain ability, that should be possible...

But oh dear. How on earth do you get past Rickard Karstark's unit?? With that +1 Toughness, and making sure the unit is Stalwart, it's almost impossible to beat. And then we have the flimsy Stark archers, occasionally getting a blue hit and whittling away the Guards..

There was a brief moment of hope when Addam gained two black flags and pushed back Karstark off one of the victory hexes, only to be pushed back himself on the fourth turn.

As for the Northern fords.. well there was a huge clash of Lannister cavalry versus Maege Mormont... but a combination of the cavalry being all green (apart from Addam's unit) and Maege having heavy armour and stalwart, meant that every attack was costing more casualties to the Lannisters than Stark.

The end result was that with a final throw of the die on turn 5 (and yes, I did use the house/scenario re-roll rule!) Kevan managed to push back Karstark and re-take one of the victory hexes.

Not enough for a win.

Good game.. but a wee but frustrating in that the first scenario is 3-0 to Stark... and a tiny question is creeping into my (small) brain.. is this scenario unbalanced??

So, can anyone give me a strategy of how, assuming average die rolls on both sides, the Lannisters can win this scenario? !!

Thankyou!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian McCarthy
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it's unbalanced, probably about 70-30 in favor of Stark, even with all the optional rules in place.

It can be fun, though. Try this: Do not engage Maege's forces with the Lannister Green Cavalry. Run them toward the southern crossing. Don't let Addam get out ahead. He needs to keep the group stalwart and well-ordered. Send Kevan's group plodding up toward the Northern crossing. You'll have to move as fast as possible. I personally think it helps to use my house rule of setting aside the Rally All cards for both players, rather than have them be randomly drawn.

Now, you can throw your horses into combat with Karstark's support network, utilizing coordinated attacks whenever possible. You don't want to push a lot against Karstark until the final round and try to use the terrain to your advantage to help minimize your losses. Hopefully, you will have a decent coordinated attack against him and have whittled away his support.

It still favors Stark, but it's interesting to try this and a variation where you mix up the troops and try to overlap the commanders so that they can both control the majority of the army.

So, it's harder but more interesting to play the Lannister side of the battle. The Stark's have a patented best choice for the scenario in sitting stalwart with Karstark on one of the objectives. I've considered switching the starting locations of the Stark commanders to see if that opens up the tactical vault for that side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Houghton
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Ian. Will try thst tactic for a last and final battle of this scenario, before moving on to others...

I also like the idea of the sides starting with a Rally All card each.

A firend also allows each player to pick the first of the four (for scenario 1) order tokebs generated at the start of each turn. So you choose one (maybe a rally token, or a blue token...)and roll to make the remaining 3 random. It allows a little bit more tactical and a little less luck.

But I appreciate luck still plays a big part. I rolled 3 red class hits against a green archer unit in my last game. Doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just played this one again last night and for like the third or fourth time it went down to the last die roll of the last round of the last turn, the morale track zeroed because both sides had suffered equal causalties.

the only variants in play were "Co-ordinated attacks" and my own, "discard x command tokens because of leader capture" (very important)

Clash is a lesson in manueuevre and timing, not combat strength. You're goal is not to capture leaders, it is to capture fords, and than on round five, objective hexes. Focus on accomplishing the mission, not destroying enemy units.

Maege must beat the Lannister Cav to the fords for Stark to even have a chance of winning this one. The Lannister Cav will devastate Maeges' light infrantry units, but the damage will have been done, the cav will be stuck on the wrong side of the river for at least a round or two while trying to cross the fords.

You must use Kevan's co-ordinated attack ability to have a chance of capturing Rickard. it's tough to do. But you don't have to capture Rickard, you just need to push him back with flag rolls. Well placed and timed fifth round attacks (with a few lucky flag roll results) will win the day in "Kingsroad"

Keep playing!!!! it will come together.

edit====
upon reviewing last night's match, the only rule we forgot is that Stalwart units ignore one flag roll against them. we did it consistantly so it did make it a bloodier match... but it didn't unbalance it imo. also remember that Addam's unit can cross the river at any hex if he needs to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selon Thart
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
I've played the scenario once on my own, and thrice with other people. Actually, Lannister won 3 of 4 times for me, and the game I played on my own was even without any optional rules.

I agree with Ian, "switching" the approach for Lannister works usually better, either let Marbrand and his entire cavalry cross the southern ford and Kevan the northern or mix things up a bit.
I had a huge success in a game with Kevan supporting a green cavalry at the southern ford, which managed to break apart Rickard's stalwart formation quite fast with repeated powered-up Pursues.

Also, try to save Addam Marbrand's strongest command card (Order 2 adjacent units, place a combat marker between units in your command area) for the end, if the Stark player likes to turtle with Karstark.
This way you can force him into battle with an already used or weaker unit of yours and start a co-ordinated flank attack (with the + 1 dice from Marbrand's tactic) with two stronger units, which nets seven dice with a reroll, if both attackers are of the blue rank for example.

In the end, however, this scenario always came down to the last turn for me, and therefore usually to luck.

A possible house rule I'm currently testing out, btw, allows a player to return one of his randomly drawn order tokens and get one of his own choice, but only if his morale is greater than green (not including).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.