Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dixit» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 player co-op Dixit variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Dixit [+] Variant [+] Co-op [+] useful [+] good_idea [+] [View All]
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just picked up Dixit, Lisa and I wanted to play it right away. But there are only two of us. We would be very silly to try to play it with only two players.

We are, of course, very silly.

I can't think of a way to play competitively and still give clues, so we went for a cooperative game instead.

How to Play

* Deal cards to each player as usual.
* Pick a scoring marker for the players (just one marker) and another as a failure marker.
* Pick a player to be Storyteller first. I'll refer to 'Storyteller' and 'Player 2'.
* The Storyteller picks a card from their hand and gives a clue or tells a story about it, then places the card face down.
* Player 2 picks a card from their hand to try to match the clue.
* Add 4 random cards from the deck to the chosen cards.
* Shuffle them out and places them on the table as usual.
* Each player now secretly makes a guess. The Storyteller wants to find Player 2s card. Player 2 wants to find the Storyteller's card.

Reveal your guesses!

If you both guessed the other player's card correctly, cheer and advance your scoring marker 1 space.

If either or both of you guessed wrong, pout and advance the failure marker one space.

Each draw a new card. If you still have 4 cards left in the deck, swap who is Storyteller and proceed to another round.

Try to have more points than failures at the end of the game!

What does this mean?
When you are the Storyteller, you want Player 2 to guess your card. This is easy. You could just say "A city made out of eggs", and your partner is sure to guess it.

But...you also want to guess Player 2's card. Give a clue too specific, and your partner won't be able to play any card you can recognize!

You need to give them enough room to play a card you recognize, without making it too easy to be fooled by a random card.

Spirit of the game:
No giving "double" clues that are meant to describe your card and the card Player 2 is supposed to play separately. ("My card is a scarecrow, but your card has plants").

No setting up codes.

No repeating clues.

Remember, you are trying to play a 4+ player competitive game as a 2 player co-op. Try to break the game and it will break. Go with it and have fun and it should provide some amusement. I've tried to make it resistant to "casual" abuse at least.

Please let me know if you try this!

Variant 2
Got a game like Train of Thought, Apples to Apples or any other game with cards with words? Draw a card from that game, and use that word as the clue. Both players try to match the clue.

This eliminates any "cheating" potential, but also removes the fun of coming up with clues and stories.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is an interesting variant so have a thumbsup

I'll have to give it a try sometime, thanks for sharing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Kotov
Ukraine
Donetsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, will try it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
finally got a chance to read your variant. Brilliant! I hope it works as well as it sounds like it will!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds really good -- I look forward to trying this one out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Patrick
United States
Northport
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs up!

My wife and I played this variant last night. We were in the same situation -- lacking players but too impatient to wait. I knew BGG wouldn't let me down, so I came here.

It worked for us, and it was a great way to try out the game.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked it Brandon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
We just tried this one tonight -- was a lot of fun! We jumped out to an early lead of 2 victories, but then we didn't do as hot and ended our play with 3 victories and 3 losses.

I think if we played it again we might allow a discard per turn in order to keep the hands refreshed -- or maybe we just need more practice.

Overall just a top notch variant, and while we prefer the full game, we really appreciate having a way to play it with just two players.

Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Just wow! How could I have missed this great variant last summer? Thanks a lot!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Nelson
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave this variant a try last night. We have Dixit + Dixit 2 + Dixit Odyssey, so we shuffled in five instead of four cards just to see more of the deck. Five cards made it very difficult; the failure bunny got to 12 before our victory bunny got to 3. We dropped back down to four cards and found the balance to be quite a bit better.

I prefer playing Dixit with more players, but we still had a lot of fun playing this variant with two. I wouldn't have thought it possible to have as much fun with two-player Dixit as we did, so great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried your variant tonight, Brian, with my wife.
The Bunny of Doom defeated us 7-5!
It's great! Sure, it doesn't hold a candle to multi-player Dixit, but I was very surprised at how much fun it really was!
Thanks for posting it, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you liked it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
samiul ghani
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Splendid work. Good man. I will definitely give this a go. Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonty
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an old thread but I'm glad it showed up today. We haven't had the need to try it yet but great variant for those with less players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad people are still liking this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S McCulloch
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried the co-op two player variant. Lots of fun and a challenging game. The evil bunny won both times. It is often quite surprising how often the random cards can match the clue or as player 2, nothing seems to match the clue given.

Tough balance: make the clue too specific and player 2 cannot find a card that makes any sense. Make the clue too general and there will be multiple possible matches on the board. We'll have to try a few more times to see if we can beat the evil bunny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schandl
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just tried that variant, worked nicely, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spheniscine Kynosoura
Malaysia
flag msg tools
wadenels wrote:
Gave this variant a try last night. We have Dixit + Dixit 2 + Dixit Odyssey, so we shuffled in five instead of four cards just to see more of the deck. Five cards made it very difficult; the failure bunny got to 12 before our victory bunny got to 3. We dropped back down to four cards and found the balance to be quite a bit better.

From a mathematical point of view, it's not difficult to see why going up to five cards makes it much more difficult than you might have thought.

You see, say you're the storyteller, and you put down a card and give your clue. Your partner, now, will attempt to choose the "best" card out of his hand of six random cards.

You then mix in N random cards from the top of the deck, and are now trying to guess his card. Now out of those N random cards, one would be the "best", and therefore most likely to fool you to choosing it instead of your partner's card. So when looked at it this way, it's easy to see why it's much more difficult to distinguish best-of-6 vs. best-of-N, when N is 5 instead of 4.

Add to those the facts that your idea of "best" might not match your partner's idea of "best", and that your partner has to guess your card as well (note also that the "best" false card is also the most likely to fool them here), and it's not difficult to see why the failure rate was so high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a slick way to up the difficulty. For every step ahead of the failure bunny you are mix in N-1 extra cards. So if you lead the bunny 5 to 2 you would take your two cards and mix in 6 (4+2). Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kvenosdel wrote:
Here's a slick way to up the difficulty. For every step ahead of the failure bunny you are mix in N-1 extra cards. So if you lead the bunny 5 to 2 you would take your two cards and mix in 6 (4+2). Thoughts?

That you are a masochist?

Sounds like a fine idea if you want to really make it a challenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Soltis
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stumbled upon this and played it this morning!! Very great variant for 2 players and much harder than I anticipated! Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Testoni
Italy
Bologna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just tried this variant with my wife. Really nice and clever.
Thank you man. Great job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
Having just picked up Dixit, Lisa and I wanted to play it right away. But there are only two of us. We would be very silly to try to play it with only two players.

We are, of course, very silly.

I can't think of a way to play competitively and still give clues, so we went for a cooperative game instead.

How to Play

* Deal cards to each player as usual.
* Pick a scoring marker for the players (just one marker) and another as a failure marker.
* Pick a player to be Storyteller first. I'll refer to 'Storyteller' and 'Player 2'.
* The Storyteller picks a card from their hand and gives a clue or tells a story about it, then places the card face down.
* Player 2 picks a card from their hand to try to match the clue.
* Add 4 random cards from the deck to the chosen cards.
* Shuffle them out and places them on the table as usual.
* Each player now secretly makes a guess. The Storyteller wants to find Player 2s card. Player 2 wants to find the Storyteller's card.

Reveal your guesses!

If you both guessed the other player's card correctly, cheer and advance your scoring marker 1 space.

If either or both of you guessed wrong, pout and advance the failure marker one space.

Each draw a new card. If you still have 4 cards left in the deck, swap who is Storyteller and proceed to another round.

Try to have more points than failures at the end of the game!

What does this mean?
When you are the Storyteller, you want Player 2 to guess your card. This is easy. You could just say "A city made out of eggs", and your partner is sure to guess it.

But...you also want to guess Player 2's card. Give a clue too specific, and your partner won't be able to play any card you can recognize!

You need to give them enough room to play a card you recognize, without making it too easy to be fooled by a random card.

Spirit of the game:
No giving "double" clues that are meant to describe your card and the card Player 2 is supposed to play separately. ("My card is a scarecrow, but your card has plants").

No setting up codes.

No repeating clues.

Remember, you are trying to play a 4+ player competitive game as a 2 player co-op. Try to break the game and it will break. Go with it and have fun and it should provide some amusement. I've tried to make it resistant to "casual" abuse at least.

Please let me know if you try this!

Variant 2
Got a game like Train of Thought, Apples to Apples or any other game with cards with words? Draw a card from that game, and use that word as the clue. Both players try to match the clue.

This eliminates any "cheating" potential, but also removes the fun of coming up with clues and stories.

This is awesome, thanks for sharing! I'm playing this variant with my 6 y/o and we're having a blast!
It also works very nice with anohter adult, its funny how sometimes the game will give you 3-4 cards that matches the clue so bad that we both vote for one of those!!!

The only thing we do different is with scoring, instead of what is proposed:

We do this:

If you both guessed the other player's card correctly, cheer and advance your scoring marker 2 spaces.
If either of you guessed wrong, pout and advance the failure marker 1 space.
If both of you guessed wrong, laugh and advance the failure marker 2 space.

So far this way of scoring have been a nice stressful challenge in many occasions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Robinson

Colorado
msg tools
We haven't tried it yet, but of all the proposed 2-player versions I've read, this seems to match the gameplay of the original the best, allowing the second person to select a card to play as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karen Robinson

Colorado
msg tools
We tried this and enjoyed it. Then we added the following modifications:

1. Each player votes for two cards, not just one.
2. As in your rules, if you guess the other player's card, you get a point
3. If you both guess the same wrong card, you each get a point.

That doesn't really change who comes out ahead, but we thought it was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.