Mo
Germany
flag msg tools
I think, that there is currently no way to search for games with perfect information. Wouldn't it make sense to add this as a new game category?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_information
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I think this was the fuzzy semi-conscious intent of the "abstract strategy" subdomain (it's described as being for games "like chess or go"). But unfortunately different people have different ideas of what "abstract strategy" means, so the abstract subdomain became a bit of a mish-mash with various games that have randomness and hidden information as well. (And of course there are many threads debating what "abstract" really means in the context of games...)

Meanwhile I've tagged a lot of games "combinatorial", if that helps for the time being.

http://boardgamegeek.com/tag/combinatorial
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
Germany
flag msg tools
russ wrote:
I think this was the fuzzy semi-conscious intent of the "abstract strategy" subdomain (it's described as being for games "like chess or go"). But unfortunately different people have different ideas of what "abstract strategy" means, so the abstract subdomain became a bit of a mish-mash with various games that have randomness and hidden information as well. (And of course there are many threads debating what "abstract" really means in the context of games...)

That's also my impression. A perfect-information category should solve some of the prolems, as the term is well defined. And it really scratches a different itch as there are also themed games with perfect information (e.g. I read about Sun, Sea & Sand).

russ wrote:

Meanwhile I've tagged a lot of games "combinatorial", if that helps for the time being.

http://boardgamegeek.com/tag/combinatorial

Thanks a lot, I will have a look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are you aware of the dangers foxes pose to you and
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
New board game categories: Perfect Information & Complete Information

(Nothing in particular to read there, just noting it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
Germany
flag msg tools
Kaffedrake wrote:
New board game categories: Perfect Information & Complete Information

(Nothing in particular to read there, just noting it.)

Oh, thanks.. Well, it does not seem to be a topic that a lot of people care about.

Edit: There is also Multiplayer perfect information games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
There's been more discussion about a prospective gauge of "luck" (randomness/chaos/hidden information) and "skill" (no randomness, no hidden information), although it's never possible to agree on what's being measured or how it should be presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo
Germany
flag msg tools
Kaffedrake wrote:
There's been more discussion about a prospective gauge of "luck" (randomness/chaos/hidden information) and "skill" (no randomness, no hidden information), although it's never possible to agree on what's being measured or how it should be presented.

Sounds familiar. Well, there is the "Game Play Weight" statistic per game, but I am not even sure if that term is well defined (rule complexity vs. strategic complexity).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Amusingly, if you look up "weight" in the wiki it says this:

Quote:
"Weight" is an ambiguous overloaded term that is never actually defined at BGG even though we are given the option of giving weight ratings for games.

What we know is that users enter a value between "light" and "heavy" and then we get some kind of numerical average. I've never actually looked at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.