Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United Kingdom
Warwick
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
After a couple of plays of this I've been trying to work out if there is an arrangement of the tiles that gives you the best options. At first I bunched together but then tried a kind of long thin line. This seemed to give more freedom and a nice long wall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually try to build my Alhambra so that every "direction" (north, south, east, west) has at least one "open" connection. That way, I can almost always build any tile right into the Alhambra without wasting turns rearranging from the reserve pile.

If one direction is "closed" by a three-walls-tile, I try to open it up as soon as possible by placing a new tile in a way that it opens up the direction again.

In the endgame, you can adjust the strategy to one of "filling gaps" in your walls, so that walls are usually something between 12 and 18 tiles long at the end of the game.

I think this gives a nice balance between "not wasting turns rearranging to fit a tile" and a reasonably long wall. The resulting shape is usually a rectangle or cross.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its hard to describe so it can be visualised by someone who isn't reading my mind, but I have success starting by building a broad, open base, allowing the building of a good sized wall around a couple of edges, but leaving plenty of room elsewhere to add key buildings unhindered. While it may work OK I wouldn't expect something as simple as a ling thin line to be the best way to go but It has given me an idea to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Figilano wrote:
I usually try to build my Alhambra so that every "direction" (north, south, east, west) has at least one "open" connection. That way, I can almost always build any tile right into the Alhambra without wasting turns rearranging from the reserve pile.

If one direction is "closed" by a three-walls-tile, I try to open it up as soon as possible by placing a new tile in a way that it opens up the direction again.

In the endgame, you can adjust the strategy to one of "filling gaps" in your walls, so that walls are usually something between 12 and 18 tiles long at the end of the game.

I think this gives a nice balance between "not wasting turns rearranging to fit a tile" and a reasonably long wall. The resulting shape is usually a rectangle or cross.

One reason why I don't like playing this game (at leasst the base game) with more than 4p. It's painful getting stuck with chepa tiles, but don't have more than 2 open sides. Then agian, I suppose you could just let someone else take them while you stock up on $$.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.