10 Posts

Isla Dorada» Forums » Rules

Subject: what would happen if I can't pay for my bid? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sildong sildong
msg tools
Hi,
I have a question about bid. If I win the bid, but I count wrong about my available bid value, which means I can't pay for my bid. So what would happen and how to deal with such situation?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Well, the rules is that you cannot bid more than you can pay...
I don't know what to do in such a situation. I'd say that the bid is supposed to stop before ypu made your illegal bid, and you are now at a slight disadvantage because other players know more about your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sildong sildong
msg tools
Thanks for your answer, Bruno.

Per my understanding, if such situation occurred, we would restart the bid while all other players know how much the player who bid wrong can afford exactly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just start at the previous legal bid and continue from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some other games have the player pay as much as they can up to half and then a repeat bidding round begins where that player cannot participate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand why this is a special case. You can inadvertently violate the rules in any game; why is Isla Dorada bidding any different than "oops, I accidentally bought a building I couldn't pay for" or somesuch in another game? Just rewind to before the rules violation or otherwise fix it as best you can and keep going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's different because in most games, other players notice a rules violation when it happens and so prevent the game from going into an illegal state.
In an auction game, where bids are not payed for until the auction ends, the other players must trust each other not to bid more than they have. Bids convey information & strategy about all players' secret objectives. Some game designers feel that there should be a "punishment" for making an illegal action like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have difficulty believing that my game group is the only one that occasionally runs into "Oops, we all forgot about the -1 modifier in play for Whatsits last turn..." even in games where there is no hidden information.

I personally see no reason to handle this any differently than any other rules-related screwup, but if your group wants to instate a punishment for it, knock yourself out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fwiw, our group does not instate the punishment. I just brought it up because I have heard of it as a solution, and I understand the viewpoint, even if I don't agree with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Storch
Wales
Llanelli
Sir Gaerfyrddin, Cymru
flag msg tools
mb
This happened more than once in a game we played last night with 4 new players and 2 who had played before. As has been pointed out, this game is no different from any others; mistakes happen. Simply ignore it and go back to the previous legal bid and carry on, create a house rule to deal with it- simple. I think if everyone playing is experienced then a punishment for 'winning' a bidding round illegally is also ok.

It's worth nothing that I, along with many others suffer from colour blindness and noted that some of the 'treasure bonus' adventure cards look exactly the same colour as the Kamel cards (to me), I once bid 6 Kamel cards when I had only five and a treasure bonus card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.