Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Jambo last night with both expansions, plus carpets, minus huts, minus relics.

I really liked the idea of the carpets but in practice the carpets just didn't feel right and didn't function the way I thought they would. I have a couple of design questions that might help me understand the "why" of the carpets.

1) Why include the carpets at all? What function do they serve?

On the one hand, maybe they are included because the small market stalls become so dilute that obtaining one becomes luck-based and streaky. On the other hand, they seem to remove the tight management feeling of the original game that I liked. Also, with the carpets, if you do manage to draw a small market stall, it almost seemed useless and simply became a "dead draw" that you had to find a way to unload. Very different vibe.

2) Why was the rule included that gives a player 1 coin for having more wares on their sides of the carpet than their opponent?

I just don't understand the motivation behind this rule. The extra coins seemed to shorten the game for no reason. I assume there is a point behind this rule and it would help me if someone could explain/rationalize it.

I realize I can just leave the carpets out, but I would rather come to terms with them philosphically.

Thanks for your thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
1) It is an option to avoid having to pay for the 6th spot in your large hut before the small huts get into play. And they are going to come out less since you have almost double the deck. Plus it gives you some variety by rotating them and taking what your opponent placed.

2) Motivation to fill the carpets, I assume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to have those extra spots when you have that six ware card with only 3 spots. It's nice to have those spots period and for free; also as you said potentially paying you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I agree. But aren't the extra slots motivation enough? That's what I can't figure out. Why add a gold bonus on top of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:

I agree. But aren't the extra slots motivation enough? That's what I can't figure out. Why add a gold bonus on top of it?

If you don't need the slots (say you do have the small markets out), then there is still motivation to match your opponent or you risk letting him run wild on the gold collection.

The other side to the carpet is it is a means to trade with your opponent. If both sides are filled, you can flip it. But if I am the only one offering wares (setting aside the need for the space), then I am tying up wares for no reason. But if now I gain a gold for it each turn, it offsets leaving those out there.

If you don't want me to get the gold, you can match what I have by placing wares on your side. But if you put it on the same carpet and it is full, now I can trade you for it.

So it is not just extra space, it has a very distinct purpose that Markets don't give you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dude man
msg tools
The carpets are great! they are not just for extra market space but add a lot of strategy to the game. Read the instructions, they say that every time you buy wares with a ware card 1-3 of the wares purchased has to be placed in an empty spot on your side of the carpet cards (minimum of 1 must be placed, providing you have an open spot). You can sell the wares from the carpet cards only if they are on your side (in this way they act as extra market space). The catch, however, is that if a carpet card is full (one ware on each side of a card), for the cost of 1 "action" you can flip the carpet card around--thus the ware that was on your side is now on your opponents side and vice-a-versa; after the wares are reversed, you can sell any ware on your side in accordance with the standard rules of the game. The reason you collect 1 gold for having more wares on your side is to compensate for the rotating of the cards--your opponent might have flipped the card and used your carpet wares to sell, but he also has to consider that now he will have fewer wares on his side of the carpet, and thus give you one gold for as long as there is imbalance)

Rules to Remember:

1. You cannot remove a ware from the carpet once placed
2. Providing there is space, you must to place at least 1 ware on the carpet every time you use a ware card to purchase wares (not, however when you use a utility, people, or animal card to steal or purchase a ware)
3. You can only flip the carpet around when both sides of the carpet card have a ware in an empty space (one on your side, and one on your opponents side)
4. Although wares on your side of the carpet are consider to be an extension of your market (as you can sell them), they cannot be stolen, removed, or swapped via any people, animal, or utility card.

Enjoy! the flipping of the wares is where all the fun and strategy is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cory peacock
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cmanthomas007 wrote:
The carpets are great! they are not just for extra market space but add a lot of strategy to the game. Read the instructions, they say that every time you buy wares with a ware card 1-3 of the wares purchased has to be placed in an empty spot on your side of the carpet cards (minimum of 1 must be placed, providing you have an open spot)...

I agree that the carpets are great. The game's maker, RĂ¼diger Dorn, though, notes that the rule is optional. See: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4172761#4172761

I think you read the English rules the same way I did - and correctly for the rules as they are stated. But Dorn seems to suggest that it was a mistake in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.